Control With Left Brake Lever Only? ABS and COMBI

beginner

I have used Honda Clicks with combi brakes successfully for many years.  
My damaged right hand is able to twist throttle but not squeeze the front brake lever.

The latest Honda 160cc scooters have ABS and various descriptions of it. For example dual ABS, combined ABS.

My question is;  can I apply both front and back brakes with back brake lever only with an ABS fitted bike?

• Like 1

Good question, i think the Click 160 has ABS at front only, so right brake, maybe left is combo so something like 30% front 70% back.

i have the 160 standard, i don't think left brake only is enough in a high speed stop. I always brake left first followed by right if required

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good question, i think the Click 160 has ABS at front only, so right brake, maybe left is combo so something like 30% front 70% back.

i have the 160 standard, i don't think left brake only is enough in a high speed stop. I always brake left first followed by right if required

Not the end of the world then to switch right brake to left because of his disability.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

I can go to Honda and look if you wish. It is a question of how many hoses there are connected to the front caliper. Combi brake has two hoses separately operating different pistons on the front caliper.

Edit: I checked the parts catalogue one front caliper has two bleed nipple one has only one. So ABS has only one bleed nipple and only one hose. 

So to answer your question. No. If you want to operate both front and rear using the left hand you'll have to go with non-ABS Combi brake model.

If you want ABS you'll have to get someone to replumb the left lever to operate the front ABS and leave the rear brake inoperable. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow.  Lots of suggestions. Thank you mak mak.

I have ridden without any accidents, never even fallen off a motorbike for 50 years.

I guess that means I am a very cautious and lucky rider. Which I learned by riding push bikes in cities where car drivers usually 'don't see' cyclists before pulling out in front of them.  

But living in Pattaya is another set of challenges altogether.  Disaster can strike at any time. Crazy unskilled drivers sometimes drunk or drugged and a general attitude of anything goes means frequent near misses.  Only yesterday I turned into a side road off Third Road and just   stopped behind 4 motorbikes on their sides and riders accusing a mocy taxi rider of reckless corner cutting. He had cut the corner at speed only to meet an oncoming car. To avoid a full frontal head on impact he swerved into the mocy riders in the left lane. No one appeared to be badly injured so in Thai tradition I skirted round the stopped oncoming car saw  nothing and left the scene of angry Thais berating the orange jacketed Win rider.

My sheer good luck will one day run out hence my interest in better braking systems.   Pattaya now has wind blown sand and debris plus random potholes to add to the broken steel drain covers and cracked concrete surfaces. The tourist buses are once again destroying the surfaces and stopping where convenient for them  regardless of others. 

Rides on the Dark side can also be hazardous.  Constant building and repairs mean corners with dangerous loose sand and gravel on the outside of turns.  ABS systems can help you steer on slippery surfaces and remain upright through such sections.

Dear Beginner,

How is your right thumb? In similar shape to your fingers?

Not cheap at 18,000 baht but there is a thumb brake master cylinder used for motorcycle racing. 

If you have thumb strength that would give you some front brake.

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can train yourself to not lock your front brake in an emergency, so the video is a bit fake 

Yes I'm sure training would help but trusting a well designed and built ABS system looks a better option for me.

UP2U as they say.