Air conditioning units

DonniePeverley

I always wake up in the UK with a nice warm peace. Windows open with good levels of oxygen i assume helps.

With the AC systems they have here in Bangkok - be it a hotel or rented accomodation, i literally feel like i've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson trying to wake up. 

What is in these systems? My partner and parents have developed coughs. 

Granted we will get ones cleaned when we rent longer term. But do they contain gasses? What is the working mechanisms on them? If we aren't opening windows what are the oxygen levels in a room etc? What is causing me to wake up so groggy ?

Probably poor sleep due to low temperature and low humidity, different to normal environment, no gases involved.

I find it hard to get it right, too hot or too cold, most people have it on cold and have a thick duvet, seems stupid to me

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably poor sleep due to low temperature and low humidity, different to normal environment, no gases involved.

I find it hard to get it right, too hot or too cold, most people have it on cold and have a thick duvet, seems stupid to me

The newer inverters help with the hot/cold syndrome ???? and seem to maintain the temp better.

At worse, keep it chilly and snuggle/cover up in a blanket.

@DonniePeverley

The cough might be from the pollution, since in Krung Thep.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Well for me I know what it is.???? 

Experiment with temperature. 24 seems about right 

For me n need it about 1 degree cooler due to the 1, 2 or 3 little beast who keep me company, usually from about 10pm to around 4am

IMG_2380.thumb.jpeg.027e3df05e2a5697fc1613cb8216c954.jpeg

they like the warmth I provide

4 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

So where does the air come from with an air conditioning system? Is it just circulating the same air, and cooling it down? Or is the air coming from outdoors?

I ask, because if we aren't opening windows then where on earth is the plentiful of oxygen coming from ?

Do you suffocate in rooms in the west, when it's cold, the radiator is on and the windows and doors are closed ????

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

So where does the air come from with an air conditioning system? Is it just circulating the same air, and cooling it down? Or is the air coming from outdoors?

I ask, because if we aren't opening windows then where on earth is the plentiful of oxygen coming from ?

It comes from the compressor outside, when pollution is bad it comes straight in unless it has a high quality filter.

It's possible you might benefit from a humidifier, i bought one because i was getting a bit of a croaky throat, only use it when symptoms come on

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It comes from the compressor outside, when pollution is bad it comes straight in unless it has a high quality filter.

If you are living in with domestic AC Thailand that statement is 100% totally wrong.

Thailand domestic air conditioners are virtually 100% split units. The only thing transferred between the inside and outside unit is heat. There is no transfer of air between the 2 units. They are domestic air conditioners they are not cars.

Cars take in a very small amount of outside air even when on recirculate, however even cars  transference is not through that actual AC unit itself but through the air ductwork that is designed to allow, or stop, outside air into the cabin.

You can get a fresh air exchange system that includes a heat recovery unit that mostly keeps cool air in but it isn’t a split AC 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are living in with domestic AC Thailand that statement is 100% totally wrong.

Thailand domestic air conditioners are virtually 100% split units. The only thing transferred between the inside and outside unit is heat. There is no transfer of air between the 2 units. They are domestic air conditioners they are not cars.

Cars take in a very small amount of outside air even when on recirculate, however even cars  transference is not through that actual AC unit itself but through the air ductwork that is designed to allow, or stop, outside air into the cabin.

You can get a fresh air exchange system that includes a heat recovery unit that mostly keeps cool air in but it isn’t a split AC 

So you are just recirculating air ? 

7 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

So you are just recirculating air ? 

Yes, however very few houses have good air tightness, most have sufficient ventilation so that you get sufficient air exchange. There is only one house, I know of, where a heat recovery fresh air ventilation system has been used and (possibly) needed

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes, however very few houses have good air tightness, most have sufficient ventilation so that you get sufficient ventilation. There is only one house, I know of, where a heat recovery fresh air ventilation system has been used and needed

As most things depends where you live, it must be a problem in places like Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

So if i am not opening windows, and relying solely on recirculated air conditioned air - then no wonder i could be feeling awful. 

Not sure about that, as we keep the house buttoned up pretty good, to keep the humidity out.  But ACs run almost constantly during the day, and one in bedroom almost 24/7.

Do have air purifier built into it, though during 2 ish months of bad AQI, we need to run the stand alone purifiers.