Thai man faces charges after Chalong Police checkpoint cash claim goes viral

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-08-25-140343.jpg

A TikTok post accusing Chalong Traffic Police officers in Thailand of stopping motorists at a checkpoint for monetary gain has led to a man being charged with criminal defamation.

The unnamed man uploaded a video that showed officers from the Traffic Police Division of the Royal Thai Police stopping motorcyclists at a checkpoint. The accompanying note in Thai read, “Chalong Police take everything,” followed by “Don’t care about anyone’s children.” The post garnered over 150 hearts and was shared at least dozens of times.

In Thailand, defamation is not just the subject of a civil suit but is also considered a criminal offence. According to Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code, defamation is defined as the act of imputing anything about another person to a third person in a manner likely to impair the person’s reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others.

Despite the man’s self-presentation at the Chalong Police Station and his expression of remorse for his reckless action, the Chalong Police are proceeding with the charge. They maintain they were carrying out their duties correctly at the time of the video recording. The man acknowledged the charge against him, reported Phuket News.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo courtesy of Phuket News

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/thai-man-faces-defamation-charge-over-tiktok-post-on-chalong-police-checkpoint

-- Thaiger 2023-08-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Not riding in the left lane is a common one that farangs don't understand or maybe even know about. 

Depends where you are riding.  BKK for sure ticket for not being in L lane.

CM it doesn't matter.

Phuket it doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code, defamation is defined as the act of imputing anything about another person to a third person in a manner likely to impair the person’s reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others.

They forgot to add 'even if it deserved and the person(s) have committed a criminal act'.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The man was simply performing his duty to society, and reporting criminal malfeasance. However, the criminals do not like getting caught in the act. I was there recently and saw countless Thais without helmets being waved through, and countless foreigners with helmets being stopped. Is that not profiling due to race? Why would they do that? Was there any possibility that they assumed the foreigners have more cash in their pockets? 

But, don't admit guilt. Try to turn it around. Pure deflection. Busted! 

As a local, many Thai get stopped there as well.  Locals riding helmetless past a well known checkpoint really is not very smart.

Edited by stevenl

33 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

I remember in Pattaya getting stopped going down a one way street the wrong way.

The policeman only stopped me, but let all the Thais go...................<snip>

I remember riding against the traffic on a main road in BKK and getting stopped by a traffic cop.

He didn't fine me but pointed to other riders nearby and told me that I should be riding on the sidewalk.

Edited by bobandyson
  • Haha 2