Recommendations for computer/IT tech in Pattaya area

Chillypom

Hello All, 

having problems connecting a new Android tablet to my Android phone’s hotspot.  Can anyone recommend a good, preferably English speaking, tech/shop in the Pattaya area where I might get some help?

many thanks in advance 

Edited by Chillypom

Thanks NextG.  I’ve tried all of that.  For some reason my phone’s hotspot doesn’t even appear on the tablets list of available wifi even though I’m using it successfully on my old tablet.   Could be something to do with wifi frequency
Think I need help from someone more knowledgeable than me!

9 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Thanks NextG.  I’ve tried all of that.  For some reason my phone’s hotspot doesn’t even appear on the tablets list of available wifi even though I’m using it successfully on my old tablet.   Could be something to do with wifi frequency
Think I need help from someone more knowledgeable than me!

Maybe describe the new tablet…

the tablet is a Xiaomi Pad 6.  Yes , Chinese!

Phone is also a Xiaomi. Hot spot is 2.4ghz.  Can’t find any way to switch it to 5ghz.  Pad 6 spec says supports 2.4 and 5 ghz

has been working fine as hotspot for all other devices.

What’s particularly confusing is it did appear momentarily on the tablets wifi listing but now isn’t.

I’ve searched and tried many solutions so thought it was time to engage a professional

Edited by Chillypom

When I had the same type problem with my iPhone and Chinese tablet, I learned I needed to turn on my iPhone's "Maximize Compatibility" in settings/personal hotspot.  Do androids have a  "Maximize Compatibility" on/off switch?

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Phone is also a Xiaomi. Hot spot is 2.4ghz.  Can’t find any way to switch it to 5ghz.  Pad 6 spec says supports 2.4 and 5 ghz

What’s particularly confusing is it did appear momentarily on the tablets wifi listing but now isn’t.

I’ve searched and tried many solutions so thought it was time to engage a professional

Since I cannot see the settings available to you and don’t know what you’ve tried thus far, I can only guess. 
Firstly to go in WiFi > Additional Settings to see if you need toggle anything there. If 2.4GHz is already selected on the Tablet there, then to go back to Settings on the Tablet to change the Region. Some Regions will have Channels not available. So perhaps try a European or other region to match the one on your phone. 

20 hours ago, Chillypom said:

Almost certainly to do with the settings on the new tablet. Very unlikely to be frequency, tablet should detect both but if not would be 2.4 rather than 5.

Have you tried to connect the tablet manually? If not, go to settings and select WLAN or similar which should show the available networks. At the bottom there should be the option to "Add Network", select that and follow the prompts.

It is possible that there is a limit on the number of networks displayed but if you only see a couple it won't be that. Once you enter the network details the network should become a saved network and always be displayed.

• Like 1

Try change the channel in the router. Sometimes these android devices only receive on certain channels.

If it is on auto on 2.4Ghz change it to something like 11

If it is on auto on 5Ghz change it to something 36, 40, 44, 48.

See if the 2.4 and 5 ghz shows up then.

I know on some of Xiaomi TV sticks this kind of problem shows up and one needs to change the router channel for the router to be detected by the device.

Edited by freeworld

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Haven't cracked it yet but have learnt some.  Xiaomi tablet confirmed to work on both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi.  

Managed to get hotspot to connect intermittently, but with no internet access.  Also have the same situation on my old iPad now due to resetting phone hotspot settings.  I suspect it may be something to do with regional settings on each device as I've set up on both Thailand and Australia Hopefully Pattaya2U will be able to sort me out!

Chinese items use often propraietry, poor-designed hardware lots of failutes.

I had a chinese bluetooth dongle which wouldnt connect to anything.

You might want to save the headache and go with a reputable brand like Samsung, Asus, or Acer.