Cloudflare checking if site is secure messages delaying web site access?

Digitalbanana

This started on my PC's today using any browser and different operating systems trying to access various web sites - takes about 5-10 seconds to verify so slows everywhere down. I only have access by NT fiber so maybe they are the issue? Is there any explanation or workaround? Is it just ISP related and may return to normal in future?

1487436139_SiteChecking2023-08-30152856.jpg.01c2e98f800d8a5da522a305a2da9e1c.jpg

14 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

This started on my PC's today using any browser and different operating systems trying to access various web sites - takes about 5-10 seconds to verify so slows everywhere down. I only have access by NT fiber so maybe they are the issue? Is there any explanation or workaround? Is it just ISP related and may return to normal in future?

1487436139_SiteChecking2023-08-30152856.jpg.01c2e98f800d8a5da522a305a2da9e1c.jpg

I've noticed that using a VPN sometimes sends this process into a loop. Switching it off temporarily solves the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had the same thing start yesterday ....  not sure why, I think it's got something to do with the ISP changing their default gateway ...  I had loads of trouble loading sites as the Cloudflare verification process doesn't work half the time because the wifi signal isn't strong/fast enough.    I also found that it goes to Cloudflare if using my VPN which I've always done ....  but yesterday it decided to make this a requirement,   gods knows why   !

ISP did something ??      maybe ....

not sure there's a workaround the Cloudflare security verification.  

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

I've noticed that using a VPN sometimes sends this process into a loop. Switching it off temporarily solves the problem.

yes ... that was happening to me a few days back .....  also now I noticed ads are showing on a couple of websites that were usually blocked with my extensions ....    now they are showing .....  

and Cloudflare is back again this morning .... i am using the VPN.

strange things going on that just started a few days ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Why not block it (Cloudflare) ?

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2023 at 9:15 AM, watchcat said:

Why not block it (Cloudflare) ?

Cloudflare is a level of security, you can’t block it.

One of its use it to mitigate ddos attacks, they can be absorbed by cloudflare servers. Cloudflare is a double edge sword, they have been campaigning for web privacy and improving security for many years, at the same time they are controlling the data flow through one portal, the cloudflare portal. They can collect the data and resell it, it’s not so invasive as Google, and they are probably the good guys in all this, but it’s still a bit flakey. The ThaiVisa site went down for a few weeks in the past due to a ddos attack if I remember correctly.

I proxy my home domain through cloudflare, I don’t know how much market cloudflare have, but chances are most sites you visit use cloudflare. 

You can't circumvent Cloudflare if the site owner has it configured for full proxy (most do).  It's a great security system and I learnt the hard way after a couple of my sites were hacked and then tagged by Google as malicious and removed from search results!

Cloudflare is great.  It also speeds up delivery of the website.  If you see it checking your connection, it's likely because of current or recent activity it has detected from your provider's IP range.

Incidentally, you can buy domains via Cloudflare AT COST.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am in the UK and have been getting Cloudflare blocking for over a year when using a VPN. One military archive site in the US in particular which I access for research almost daily will now block my PC if the VPN is on. Switching it off gives access but switching it on again whilst connected results in another block. The archive site wants to 'see' a UK server. More frustrating is a local bus company website also blocks with Cloudflare if VPN is on yet another bus company does not.

53 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I am in the UK and have been getting Cloudflare blocking for over a year when using a VPN. One military archive site in the US in particular which I access for research almost daily will now block my PC if the VPN is on. Switching it off gives access but switching it on again whilst connected results in another block. The archive site wants to 'see' a UK server. More frustrating is a local bus company website also blocks with Cloudflare if VPN is on yet another bus company does not.

Quite frequently, when you use a VPN, Cloudflare can detect that you're using one and impose the checks.  As you mentioned, that site wants to 'see' a UK server. It's normal procedure. 

As regards the local bus companies, just because they're both local does not mean they're using the same ISP.