Best ALTERNATIVE to Cloth Curtains for Sliding-Glass Doors in CM?

GammaGlobulin

In Chiang Mai (only):

What is the best ===alternative to drapes/curtains=== for 98-Percent BLACKOUT and HIGH ENERGY EFFICIENCY to keep the blasted sun from heating me up, and waking me up, and spoiling the contrast on my several computer displays?

I don't like the idea of traditional cloth curtains for sliding glass doors.

They always get in the way when opening and shutting the class doors.

They collect dust from the floor.

They are usually ugly.

They are not completely opaque.

I like solid colors for this use.

MUST be HEAVY:  The heavier the better to keep out the sound of overhead aircraft, and to provide better heat insulation.

So, you get the idea without my writing more in the description, and a picture is worth a thousand words, anyway:

image.png.5a84b9e88adb9a4ac64894d940d5d957.png

a. Where can I get something like this in Chiang Mai?

b. USD20.00 seems too cheap to me. Cheap means Shoddy in my book.

c. I will NOT buy online because I hate the L word, and I am tired of getting ripped off buying crapola sight-unseen.

Also, I don't like those flimsy curtain rods they often use here.

I LOVE the curtain rod shown in the above photo, comparatively to what I have seen used here in houses.

And this one is nice, too...

image.png.cad26eedcd8388705876851cc2c5895d.png

I need both, in fact, for several sliding-glass doors in Chiang Mai.

Low cost is good if the quality is good, too.

Need to buy w/in a week, most likely.

Tks.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

While you're looking for curtains, you may want to get your windows tinted to keep the heat out.  As roietfortress said, once it's past the glass, it's gonna cause heat issues.  If the windows are already tinted, you may want to look for a darker tint.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

While you're looking for curtains, you may want to get your windows tinted to keep the heat out.  As roietfortress said, once it's past the glass, it's gonna cause heat issues.  If the windows are already tinted, you may want to look for a darker tint.

The windows are tinted, and the tint seems dark enough.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:
14 hours ago, impulse said:

The windows are tinted, and the tint seems dark enough.

Just using tinted glass isn’t the answer, using low-E glass and or reflective glass or film will do a better job.

Go to Homepro or any other similar retailer and you will find ready made drapes as per your picture.  The drapes are in a multitude of sizes and shades (pun intended) and the selection of curtain rods is virtually limitless.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just using tinted glass isn’t the answer, using low-E glass and or reflective glass or film will do a better job.

I wouldn't suggest changing out the glass itself, unless he's contemplating going from single pane to double (or triple) pane glass.  But that's a lot of dough.  I'd try a film.  Relatively cheap, fairly easy, and completely reversible.

Not to take the place of curtains, but rather to work with them.  Depending on how finicky he is about his view, he may not like the film because it may distort the view of those bikini clad women on the next block.

35 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wouldn't suggest changing out the glass itself, unless he's contemplating going from single pane to double (or triple) pane glass.  But that's a lot of dough.  I'd try a film.  Relatively cheap, fairly easy, and completely reversible.

Changing a sheet of glass (though by itself it’s probably not going to make a huge difference unless going from virtually zero IR rejecting to high rejection glass) is not going to be particularly expensive. The glass in IGUs isn’t very expensive either (FWIW I am currently replacing 6 units in the U.K. that have failed after 40 years so I am well aware of costs), but the cost of the frames is a different matter.

There are very many kinds of glass available and a simple tint is probably just going to effect visible light and do little to reduce IR, while a high IR rejecting glass will not have a big effect in the visual range. You can go from 84% heat transmission to 20% transIMG_6603.thumb.jpeg.06cec0fc28512aac0b8575b20299b86e.jpegmission 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In Chiang Mai (only):

What is the best ===alternative to drapes/curtains=== for 98-Percent BLACKOUT and HIGH ENERGY EFFICIENCY to keep the blasted sun from heating me up, and waking me up, and spoiling the contrast on my several computer displays?

I don't like the idea of traditional cloth curtains for sliding glass doors.

They always get in the way when opening and shutting the class doors.

They collect dust from the floor.

They are usually ugly.

They are not completely opaque.

I like solid colors for this use.

MUST be HEAVY:  The heavier the better to keep out the sound of overhead aircraft, and to provide better heat insulation.

So, you get the idea without my writing more in the description, and a picture is worth a thousand words, anyway:

image.png.5a84b9e88adb9a4ac64894d940d5d957.png

a. Where can I get something like this in Chiang Mai?

b. USD20.00 seems too cheap to me. Cheap means Shoddy in my book.

c. I will NOT buy online because I hate the L word, and I am tired of getting ripped off buying crapola sight-unseen.

Also, I don't like those flimsy curtain rods they often use here.

I LOVE the curtain rod shown in the above photo, comparatively to what I have seen used here in houses.

And this one is nice, too...

image.png.cad26eedcd8388705876851cc2c5895d.png

I need both, in fact, for several sliding-glass doors in Chiang Mai.

Low cost is good if the quality is good, too.

Need to buy w/in a week, most likely.

Tks.

High gloss paint - dark brown or black would fit your style.

22 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

In my 12th floor condo in Pattaya I have tinted glass and double curtain.

It's pitch black inside in day time unless I open.IMG_20230901_174441_844.thumb.jpg.26113f63e100384d01144bf9d0771324.jpg

I’ve had these  and you can’t get better . I once had even heavier drapes in Phuket and it was hard to open them they were so heavy. In my French home I also have roll down alu blinds which stops the initial heat before it hits the windows. Helps a lot , I’m in the south , 30c ++ and sun morning to night.,A problem in Thai condos is all the climes are on the terrace which heats up the air like hell.

• Thumbs Up 1