Jimmy Buffett had been fighting skin cancer for 4 years before his death

jerrymahoney

Singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett had been fighting skin cancer for four years prior to his death, his official website has revealed. 

Buffett had Merkel Cell skin cancer. He died Friday at the age of 76 at his home in Sag Harbor, Long Island, surrounded by family, friends, and his dogs. 

His official cause of death has not been revealed. 

Merkel Cell skin cancer, according to the Mayo Clinic, is a rare but aggressive type of skin cancer "that usually appears as a flesh-colored or bluish-red nodule" on the face, neck or head.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/jimmy-buffett-had-been-fighting-skin-cancer-for-4-years-before-his-death/

So those who enjoy life in the sun and I-wanna-live-near-the-beach should take care and be observant of any changes in skin.

See also: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/merkel-cell-carcinoma/symptoms-causes/syc-20351030

• Thanks 1

Skin cancer affect some but not many others who spend all day in the sun without protection, up to your genes and skin type i guess, as many millions are out there in the sun all day and every day owing to their work and nothing happens to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

SKIN CANCER

Incidence rates
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States.

Current estimates are that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime.

It is estimated that approximately 9,500 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with skin cancer every day.

ETC.

https://www.aad.org/media/stats-skin-cancer

My observation is, most people get sun cancer on areas of the body, they put sunscreen on ... hmm

"Two different carcinogens, benzene and benzophenone have been found in popular sunscreens. These cancer-causing compounds are not listed on labels."

source

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Skin cancer affect some but not many others who spend all day in the sun without protection, up to your genes and skin type i guess, as many millions are out there in the sun all day and every day owing to their work and nothing happens to them.

my understanding is ... 

if you have a crappy diet and take a lot of sun, this can cause problems 

(but genes may play a part in protecting you anyway?)

sunscreen is bad

not enough sun is bad 

good diet + adequate sunshine + no sunscreen = optimal

never got into jimmy buffet's music. 

Edited by save the frogs