Wall Opening Of 6 Meter Wide

NotYetArahan

It is a bit difficult to explain in English, but I will give it a go:

I planned to build a house with an opening of around 8 meter, which should be able to be closed as well. Left and right of the opening there is 1 meter wall to hide doors. In the opening are 2 pillars of approx 20 cm diameter.

I can think up 3 solutions which have their disadvantages:

1. One or 2 steel doors which can opened/closed by sliding up/down as in many shops is posible but not so nice to look at. Disadavantage: UGLY (or are there nice variants?)
  2. Can it be done with sliding doors? Disadvantage: rail system on floor

1. probably more "hiding" space required at the sides?
    2. is a rail system required at the floor or can it be "hanging"?

[*]I have seen folding doors which look nice, but they seem difficult and oakwat (I don't know how to spell, so hereby fonetical) to handle. Disadvantage: Difficult to handle

Does anybody have a good solution at home which you can recommend?

thanks a lot

Arjen

The folding door is doable...I've seen lots of shops with them and it seems like they are hanging but I've not paid that much attention. If you get some really nice ones there is no need to "hide" them. If you do use hanging ones (I'm relatively sure this could be done) think about security....you might need to put some holes in the floor to accept vertically sliding bolts to secure the bottom edge.

Another solution is sliding pocket doors. Old fancy houses in the US sometimes had pocket doors....the door slides into the adjacent wall so for your 6 metre opening you would need an approximately 3 metre long wall adjacent to the opening and in line with it for each of the 3 metre sliding doors to travel into.

Chownah