Ride stability with a pillion passenger on a scooter v m/c.

5davidhen1

Please can anyone offer any insight to my dilemma.

A year or so ago I was riding an old m/c (engine size I think was 110cc) which I was able to handle quite well with my g/f on the back, even though I had not ridden a m/c for over 40 years. A few months ago I splashed out on a brand new Honda Lead 125cc scooter. I handle it quite well when I am riding solo, but with the g/f on the back, I struggle to keep balance at low speeds.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that my scooter has smaller wheels, affecting centre of gravity/dynamics.

Or, could it be that my g/f (who doesn't ride) is not the best of passengers for sitting still. But, I don't recall a problem with the m/c, which brings me back to the different sized wheels possible reason.

Maybe someone out there has had similar experiences when changing from m/c to scooter --- with, or without a passenger.

Any suggestions?

Completely normal and slightly dangerous.  Not much you can do about it other than getting a smaller version of the current GF.  It is hard for my girlfriend to not lean the opposite direction I desire and also she has nice view compared to your old ride which complicates the situation.  Before she never saw what was happening Infront and the instinct to lean was negated..

At slow speed the rotational stability through bigger wheels doesn't matter much so probably more a factor of your gf not being an experienced pillion. Maybe the seat height is higher as well which would have a negative effect on stability with pillion. The 110cc might have been a Wave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ignore it said:

IMHO

Honda Lead sux.

There you have it 5davidhen1....  the scientific explanation to the issue your are facing is 'sux'.. 

As you rightly pointed out, the issue is likely to be the smaller wheels and quite possibly a steeper rake compared to the previous model you are familiar with. 

Both contribute to greater manoeuvrability, the pay off is a loss of stability - as another poster mentioned, you'll get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps the new bike is much lighter at the front.

In my 1960's mod days, the scooters of the era, Vespa and Lambretta had 10-inch wheels, but you could throw these things about no problem. 

But, the difference between the two, 2 up was, the Vespa was very light at the front and needed way more care, whereas the Lambretta was better with a passenger, all down to design differences and weight distribution. 

I didn't like the Honda click, a bit like a Vespa, the Honda Airblade/PCX were way better.  :thumbsup:

Honda Lead is too small, on my old model Forza, which is usually mocked here... ????, it's very convenient to carry a passenger, it's a heavy and long wheelbase scooter with low center of gravity, it is very stable to ride alone on long road trips at 100kph or even higher, and I have had 65kg passenger (large chica I know ????) without even noticing I was carrying someone..., very smooth and stable . 

On long trips with a lot of luggage and top box, it's also very stable, my advice is to upgrade to a Forza or Xmax if doing a lot of two up and heavy luggage trips - then upgrade the rear shocks, then will be in heaven...(well, if she's hot... ????).

• 1 month later...