Any problems at Maesai border..

les1

Foreigners are not permitted to pass through the border.  Thai can but my wife says there are still restrictions on how far into Myanmar they are permitted to travel.  Right now, the only thing for certain is that Thai are permitted (using the known ID Card copy way) to visit the Myanmar border market.  (True as of Wednesday)

confirmed--sadly   seemed i got to do a border hop in mae sai days b4 they closed and i was stoked to do my 2nd and it was soooo easy and cheap! 10usd and done in 10 mins and enjoyed the folks up there....still closed dammit--as i did note a burma army guy under the bridge with a rifle....

so went for 2nd hop at chiang khong....similar distance..nice views...but enter thru laos near golden triangle.....checkpoint open daily until 8pm and i was only one there!....huge place..

only think i hated was having to pay 1800  for a loas visa i didnt even need...will take 40usd if entering laos..or 50 usd if doing turnaround...they will stamp you IN and OUT and attach visa

25 bt bus over mekong and 25 bt back.....so would be my backup to the mae sai dilemma....

bus from CM to CR.....local bus from CR to CK border was 70...or can do the green bus also...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 4:27 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

still seems closed..CK border is same distance and just as easy--just sucks to have to buy laos visa as its what i did...one run to MS--closed   2nd run to CK.....same ease but the visa fee-laos

Well, suck it up. Nothing worse than a farang complaining about having to spend a few extra Baht on a visa. Mae Sai is closed to foreigners and probably will remain this way until 2025 or later. Perhaps they'll never reopen to foreigners. We saw this at the Three Pagodas Pass border, which closed to foreigners in 2007 and has never reopened since. It is what it is. 

Farang border runners really don't contribute to the local economy. They're mostly just doing a quick in-out, without spending a single Baht in Myanmar. 

Enjoy Laos from now on, including the Golden Triangle crossing, which is a mere 33km from Mae Sai. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, lordblackader said:

No problems at the Mae Sai border - it has been closed since July. 

And might remain closed to foreigners indefinitely, same as the Three Pagodas Pass. I've never seen many foreigners crossing at Tachilek or within the city. It's clear they can survive without needing to rely on non-Thai foreigners. In fact, beyond the market, I've never seen a single white person, ever. And I've been there several times.

I highly doubt the crossing will reopen to us in 2024. It's time to scratch it off our list, as clearly they don't want us there, not to mention few foreigners are interested in visiting Myanmar these days, what with all the violence and political troubles. 

Edited by Highlandman