Plumber Capabale of using Acoustic Tool to find Under-house Leak (Anywhere in Thailand?)

ElephantEgo

I have a got a nightmare problem with my house, since there is a water leak from a pipe under it and we cannot locate the exact spot in order to break the tile, fix the leak and close it again.

In the worst case scenario, we have to break many tiles, ripping up floors and walls to find the damn leak.

In the best case scenario, a skilled plumber can use an acoustic leak-finding tool (like a microphone on a metal rod, connected to a headphone) to pinpoint the leak and make a precision repair like a surgeon.

I have not been able to find a plumber capable of this skill in Phuket. (I did buy a cheap version of this tool online and try to find the leak myself, I did not find any obvious spot).

Does anyone know of this service being offered here in Phuket? Or anywhere in Thailand?

It could make sense for me to fly in the right repairman, instead of making a huge mess to find this leak!

• Like 2

I had the same problem with a leak under the house and no plumbing plans... no chance in hell finding it.

I ended up replumbing the whole house, now all pipes go around the house directly into showers /kitchen, and at the same time I had stop valves installed for every room and appliance.

Luckily, I could find the same tiles for all rooms, so I didn't have to retile any of the rooms.

• Like 2

At this very moment have the same problem as you.

I HOPE its outside the house.

My builder said he had a tool to "listen" to the leak.

Should come today, but resceduled, mainly because goverment pump broke down yesterday so no water and they (of course) need least 2-3 days to fix it.

"This is Thailand"..

Edited by Olav Seglem
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

At this very moment have the same problem as you.

I HOPE its outside the house.

My builder said he had a tool to "listen" to the leak.

Should come today, but resceduled, mainly because goverment pump broke down yesterday so no water and they (of course) need least 2-3 days to fix it.

"This is Thailand"..

Where are you based? Please keep us updated about your situation?

18 minutes ago, ElephantEgo said:

Quick update: It will end up being 40,000 THB for him to come down to Phuket and fix the problem for a day. If he is not able to fix it, the fee will only be 10,000 THB for his traveling.

I think that sounds very reasonable. I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:58 PM, ElephantEgo said:

a skilled plumber

this is your problem, skilled/qualified plumbers don't really exist here like in other countries
i had same issue in my last house and no way was i going to dig up all my marble floor on a guess
in the end i just ran a new pipe around the house in the roof overhang
and brought it in where i could as i had spare floor tiles for the bathroom it fed

Edited by patman30

On 9/13/2023 at 11:36 PM, HauptmannUK said:

I think you are wasting your time with this plan.  If its a leak from a domestic PVC pipe it will generate very little acoustic energy.  PVC damps the noise and moreover any sound generated will be at quite low frequencies - few hundred Hertz. 

I agree that if the flow of the leak is very low like a drip, it would not cause much sound. Ours had a tiny flow for years until it got worse and started to make an impact on our water bill.

Recently, when our bill went from 300 to 1800 THB the flow was pretty loud on the device, once pinpointed by their experience and skills I listened to it and the sound was a clear hissing.

Mr. Tong just left my house just now. He was able to find the leak in about 30 minutes and have it all fixed and sealed up within 90 minutes! Amazing!

Edited by ElephantEgo
  • Thanks 1