VCR to DVD

Wandr

9 hours ago, Wandr said:

Is there a service in Chiang Mai that will convert a VCR tape to a DVD?

Appreciate info if anyone knows. 

This is from 2018. Not sure if still valid, from another posting here    Panthip Plaza 3rd? Floor. 053-217949, 08-9191-4110

But be advised that they are VERY expensive. I took a a few (4) VHS cassettes over to be transferred to DVD and the guy wanted 6K Baht. He says he has to disassemble the cassettes and clean the mold off the tape before he will use them in his machines. He said it takes him minimum 3-4 hours per cassette. He would not negotiate. I've passed by 20 times and never seen a customer in there. So a few weeks later I asked a Thai friend to inquire and see what kind of price he would be quoted. He was quoted more - 6200 Baht (that should dispel an theory that farangs get charged more.) My friend also said that he would not negotiate the price and that he told him that he is the only person in Chiang Mai that offers this service because "nobody else knew what they were doing and they have all gone out of business."

I checked with a friend in Bangkok who is quite knowledgeable and he told me that the price is correct to do the job properly. He said all video cassettes in Thailand will have mold if not stored individually in zip lock bags with silica gel inside. Heads are getting harder to find to keep the old machines running. Another in bangkok.............https://web.facebook.com/digital.station.bangkok/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Edited by fredwiggy

If you have a computer with a DVD BURNER and or a HDMI input ( You can download free copy and burning software )  you can copy to your hard drive, then burn to DVD. Or a VIDEO CARD or ADAPTOR that has 3 video inputs OR if you have a HDMI INPUT port on video card, you can get a video to HDMI adaptor and save to hard drive then burn to DVD. Adabtors usually cost under 500bt at LAZADA. There are other ways to do at home with a simple setup using a SD card.

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Interesting question. I have loads of small cassette tapes from an old video camera. they are all of my late Family, Father, Mother, Brothers. It would be nice to get them converted to digital. 

If the camera has an RCA feed out you can buy a device to convert the signal to digital and use that to record to your computer.

If you do not have the video camera, good luck obtaining one.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

If you have a computer with a DVD BURNER and or a HDMI input ( You can download free copy and burning software )  you can copy to your hard drive, then burn to DVD. Or a VIDEO CARD or ADAPTOR that has 3 video inputs OR if you have a HDMI INPUT port on video card, you can get a video to HDMI adaptor and save to hard drive then burn to DVD. Adabtors usually cost under 500bt at LAZADA. There are other ways to do at home with a simple setup using a SD card.

Don't need a DVD drive. Just record to a flash drive.

13 hours ago, Wandr said:

Is there a service in Chiang Mai that will convert a VCR tape to a DVD?

Appreciate info if anyone knows. 

See my reply to another poster further down. If it's a full size VDO tape you just use an adaptor to convert the signal from the VCR machine to digital and save to computer hard drive or external storage.

I used to own a tape to digital machine but foolishly gave it away years ago. Now I regret doing so.

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Interesting question. I have loads of small cassette tapes from an old video camera. they are all of my late Family, Father, Mother, Brothers. It would be nice to get them converted to digital. 

If they are VHS C (compact) they can be inserted into a special carrier that fits standard VHS cartridge. The player output is easily digitized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

If you have a device that can play the tapes and has an output then there a variety of fairly straightforward ways of doing it yourself.

If you cannot play the tapes the cheaper option my be to try and find a second hand device that can. These days adaptors and software are readily available.

Professional conversion for several tapes may be quite expensive.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the camera has an RCA feed out you can buy a device to convert the signal to digital and use that to record to your computer.

If you do not have the video camera, good luck obtaining one.

Many thanks. I still have all the cameras as it is the only way to watch the vdo's. Will check out the cables and look for a convertor. :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Many thanks. I still have all the cameras as it is the only way to watch the vdo's. Will check out the cables and look for a convertor. :thumbsup:

In that case you should be good to go. The device is RCA to HDMI and any good computer shop should stock them.

If you don't have the RCA cables should be easy to get some.

For an idea of what to get just google "rca to hdmi". Plenty of options out there.

• Like 1

I only have the tape - haven't had a player for a long time.

It's just one tape I want to convert to DVD, and it will be infinitely better to have someone do it than to get into it myself. A little expense is tolerable.

Anyone know a shop in Chiang Mai? 

On 9/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, Wandr said:

It's just one tape I want to convert to DVD, and it will be infinitely better to have someone do it than to get into it myself. A little expense is tolerable.

is a homemade tape or a movie as i knew i guy they kept all of these movies on his HD as I asked him why keep them when cans stream 24/7/365    its like keeping all the books instead of going to the library to me...also seems dvds are not far behind the demise of the VHS and beta

On 9/21/2023 at 8:51 AM, fredwiggy said:

This is from 2018. Not sure if still valid, from another posting here    Panthip Plaza 3rd? Floor. 053-217949, 08-9191-4110

But be advised that they are VERY expensive. I took a a few (4) VHS cassettes over to be transferred to DVD and the guy wanted 6K Baht. He says he has to disassemble the cassettes and clean the mold off the tape before he will use them in his machines. He said it takes him minimum 3-4 hours per cassette. He would not negotiate. I've passed by 20 times and never seen a customer in there. So a few weeks later I asked a Thai friend to inquire and see what kind of price he would be quoted. He was quoted more - 6200 Baht (that should dispel an theory that farangs get charged more.) My friend also said that he would not negotiate the price and that he told him that he is the only person in Chiang Mai that offers this service because "nobody else knew what they were doing and they have all gone out of business."

I checked with a friend in Bangkok who is quite knowledgeable and he told me that the price is correct to do the job properly. He said all video cassettes in Thailand will have mold if not stored individually in zip lock bags with silica gel inside. Heads are getting harder to find to keep the old machines running. Another in bangkok.............https://web.facebook.com/digital.station.bangkok/?_rdc=1&_rdr

That place went out of business a year before Covid.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, Wandr said:

There is one shop left that offers this service. You will have to search on facebook for them as they don't advertise anywhere else. I wish I could be more helpful. If I can find their card and FB page, I will update this post.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:33 PM, elektrified said:

There is one shop left that offers this service. You will have to search on facebook for them as they don't advertise anywhere else. I wish I could be more helpful. If I can find their card and FB page, I will update this post.

Thanks...anything more specific I can search for?

A general search unearths place in India and far away lands, which won't work for me. Facebook searches are not that great anyway.

There are tons of places that do this in the states, so it may be worth sending it overseas.

I found a small micro-cassette tape of my deceased wife practicing Spanish and had it converted to a CD for myself and her relatives. $20 per CD.

Amazon USA also sells (or sold) a duel VCR/CD machine which could dupe your cassette.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:56 AM, Prubangboy said:

There are tons of places that do this in the states, so it may be worth sending it overseas.

I found a small micro-cassette tape of my deceased wife practicing Spanish and had it converted to a CD for myself and her relatives. $20 per CD.

Amazon USA also sells (or sold) a duel VCR/CD machine which could dupe your cassette.

There are many places in Bangkok that do this. Much closer.....

On 10/7/2023 at 7:46 AM, Wandr said:

Thanks...anything more specific I can search for?

A general search unearths place in India and far away lands, which won't work for me. Facebook searches are not that great anyway.

I'm sorry, I couldn't find the card and I forget where it was located. I think it was off of Chang Klan but can't remember where. Have you searched in Bangkok? There are many places there that will do it for you.

If anyone could suggest Hi8 to mp4 at as high a resolution as possible, I would be VERY appreciative.  The tapes have all our early lives including live births of our children (where I got to chew through their umbilical cords) and other cherished memories.   Have asked over the years but have yet to find anywhere!