Are these the highest solar panels in the world?

Whilst browsing for things interesting like you do, I came across this bit about uses for solar panels.

A new (ish) airplane called the Phasa-35 has taken to the skies. This one is a bit special because it is an electric, unmanned plane which can fly to about 65,000 feet.

It weighs in at only 150kg and has a whopping top speed of ........ about 55 mph 

Payload weight is 15kg and flight duration is indefinite. Good for carrying spy cameras and internet repeaters etc.

The downside is getting it up to cruising altitude. It is very delicate and with a wingspan of 35 metres, cannot withstand much buffeting.

Batteries are Lithium.

Here is the web site for detailed information.

https://www.prismaticltd.co.uk/?page_id=289

• Like 2

Maybe highest in the world's atmosphere, but not in the Solar System (in its planetary system, rather than solar powered house, meaning).  That record goes to the Juno Jupiter probe, which travelled 869 million km from the Earth, arriving at Jupiter in 2016, five years after it was launched.  All probes travelling further than that (Voyagers I and II, New Horizons (Pluto probe), etc) have been nuclear powered due to the lack of sunlight at that distance.  Juno is equipped with three panels, each 9x29 feet, capable of generating 14 kW on Earth, but managing just 500 W as it orbits around Jupiter, still sending data and photos back using those solar panels for power.  Including this one of Jupiter and Io, taken July 30th this year:

image.png.bbd691ebcd764900ce0a294633eec928.png

NASA's Juno mission captures stunning view of Jupiter with its volcanic moon, Io (photo) | Space

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That looks soooo like the high-performance model gliders I used to fly in my (relative) youth. If only we'd had the PV and battery tech that we have now ...

image.png.7b4b7a28b36743684a097d8558901cb4.png

I am thinking about that 65,000 ft altitude.

I wonder what those lithium batteries think of those Temperatures?

Must be minus a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Generally, the operating temperature range of lithium-ion batteries is 15°C~35°C. If the temperature is too high or too low, the battery will not work.

A bit of research by an American team has improved things a bit by widening the temperature range -40º to +50º and increasing power. This is achieved by modifying the electrolyte.

See here;

https://m.energytrend.com/news/20220719-29274.html

But, like all emerging technology, there may be downsides which will prevent it from becoming common-or-garden batteries however if you want to be a high flier and are BAE with buckets full of money, then no problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Generally, the operating temperature range of lithium-ion batteries is 15°C~35°C. If the temperature is too high or too low, the battery will not work.

A bit of research by an American team has improved things a bit by widening the temperature range -40º to +50º and increasing power. This is achieved by modifying the electrolyte.

See here;

https://m.energytrend.com/news/20220719-29274.html

But, like all emerging technology, there may be downsides which will prevent it from becoming common-or-garden batteries however if you want to be a high flier and are BAE with buckets full of money, then no problem.

Ours are efficient till 42 ish C and temp rarely hits 40C here:

image.png.fcac2c23449c3dda7a42b10cd46a2d40.png

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ours are efficient till 42 ish C and temp rarely hits 40C here:

image.png.fcac2c23449c3dda7a42b10cd46a2d40.png

That looks suspiciously like an MPPT graph to me.

Do you have another one at 25ºC for reference?

Also do you have a graph of life expectancy at varying temperatures and depths of discharge?

Those are the things I would be looking for when determining the effects of temperature on batteries of any chemistry.

4 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

That looks suspiciously like an MPPT graph to me.

Do you have another one at 25ºC for reference?

Also do you have a graph of life expectancy at varying temperatures and depths of discharge?

Those are the things I would be looking for when determining the effects of temperature on batteries of any chemistry.

All I know is, when needed, our inverter puts out max 8.8kWh If & when needed, on hot, sunny days ????

(18 X 540w = 9.72kW)

https://www.suntech-power.com/wp-content/uploads/download/product-specification/EN_Ultra_V_STP550S_C72_Pmh+.pdf

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

All I know is, when needed, our inverter puts out max 8.8kWh If & when needed, on hot, sunny days ????

(18 X 540w = 9.72kW)

https://www.suntech-power.com/wp-content/uploads/download/product-specification/EN_Ultra_V_STP550S_C72_Pmh+.pdf

This is good and probably exactly what you want, but I was asking about your batteries. Your link is for solar panels.

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Batteries are indoors, in AC comfort ????

Treat my toys good, and they treat me good. image.png.be71964c0b8da64ce3f6cb543230fe02.png

Brilliant.

Best way to do it.

An additional benefit is when there is a dull night on TV you can spend a few hours admiring your achievement.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Brilliant.

Best way to do it.

An additional benefit is when there is a dull night on TV you can spend a few hours admiring your achievement.????

Thanks ... I get bored at times, but not that bored.

That said, it is a great feeling, being independent of the grid and petrol stations with the EV.   I do smile too much at times, and arm gets sore patting myself on the back.

To the anti EV folks:  yes I know, I'm still using fossil fuel (govt's fault, not mine) when O&A to charge the EV.  Save it for someone your trolling might work on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TronxII said:

Could any of the aeronautical experts explain how this thing flies at 65 000 feet?

Solar powered jets?

I thought there is little air up there for propeller planes to fly.

big H2 balloons under the wings?

Yes. As mentioned in the link, that lack of air is a problem but there is enough to give lift with that massive wing area.

I would recommend you read the full article which I found quite fascinating.

At an altitude of 65,000 feet there is virtually no turbulence and guaranteed sunshine for the solar panels which will give maximum power to the motors.

15 hours ago, TronxII said:

Well indeed, it seems possible to fly that high with propellers.

the Helios Prototype piloted remotely by Greg Kendall reached an altitude of 96,863 feet (29,524 m),

That's definitely the highest solar panels.

I am deliberately discounting space exploration and satellites on the basis that they are external to "the world" in which we live in.