METV from London

Hear lots of bad reports so just wanted to provide balance…. Applied for a multiple entry tourist (electronic) visa online via London on Thursday 28Sep2023. Email approval received 30Sep2023. 

Fairly straightforward. Needed:

- Passport style photo against plain background.

- Scan of passport photo page.

- Bank statement. Think they need £5k for 6 months (mine had more than this for longer).

- Letter from employer (or tax self-assessment, evidence of retirement, etc.). I own a limited company so this was from myself.

- Proof of accommodation in Thailand (I used a rental agreement from my landlord)

- Flight to Thailand

- Proof of residence in the UK (copy of passport photo page again)

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This part is a problem for many, the rest is easy

Yes this is the part that I wonder about. In the near future i'm planning on working 6 months in the uk then having 6 months off in Thailand, then repeat each year. An employer is not going to give me a letter, obviously not retired, could I just use 6 months pay slips ?.

3 hours ago, MyThai1 said:

Yes this is the part that I wonder about. In the near future i'm planning on working 6 months in the uk then having 6 months off in Thailand, then repeat each year. An employer is not going to give me a letter, obviously not retired, could I just use 6 months pay slips ?.

I've not heard of anyone using 6 months pay slip, they are looking for a reason you will go back to UK hence employer letter. i had a LTD company so provided co registration + self assessment 

3 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

What about the silly self photo with your passport under your chin. And passport stamps of any previous trips,  also the declaration form only half the story here 

Apologies if I provided only half the story (e.g. about accommodation), I was primarily commenting on turnaround time but added a few details that might have been helpful to others... I’ve uploaded the items you mentioned for previous visa applications but process / website has changed and weren’t required this time. Think the declaration has been built into the software now so you agree on-screen before submitting rather than print, sign, scan, attach a separate document.  

Can’t comment on what would be acceptable instead of a letter from employer such as payslips from other poster. Think they’re looking for something to show you won’t work while you’re in Thailand so job / business / school to go back to or retirement income so don’t need to. Payslips probably wouldn’t cover it as you could have left that job permanently. This is only speculation on my part though, I’m not any kind of expert and only sharing my experience.

17 hours ago, MyThai1 said:

17 hours ago, MyThai1 said:

Last month I enquired about this with the Thai embassy, London, although I had already provided them with a simple letter from my employer by the time they sent their reply.

This was our email exchange:

"Can you please also help me understand what is meant by ‘A confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement’ when applying for a multiple entry tourist visa?'"

"Just put your bank statement in there."

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1