What’s needed to buy car in Thailand

WilliamCave

Getting many different opinions and immigration has asked for papers to buy a car many different papers 

can some one let me know what is needed on retirement visa live in Nontaburi been there for a year 

any other info u need ask hope some one can help 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Money & cert. of residence from Imm.

Bought cars in Udon Thani & Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces

That should work in most instances. The Certificate of Residence would need to be in Thai as the OP will be dealing with a Thai business.

The OP says immigration are asking for 'many papers'. If the OP can't provide immigration with acceptable proof of where he lives, maybe that's the first hurdle?

Just hope that the OP's chosen dealership isn't pig-ignorant or from the "can't be arsed" brigade. There's a history of some saying 'cannot' because they mistakenly believe that foreigners have no legal means to buy a car in their name OR they just can't be bothered with the marginally extra paperwork that may be involved. If it's in the provinces, a lack of language skills from both parties can be the excuse for them to say no.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I recently sold my old vehicle and bought  a brand new one, I needed residence certificates for both transactions, PLUS, DLT insisted I visit their offices in person and produce my passport for both transactions, copies would not be accepted. My old vehicle went to a tent company that the dealership arranged so the dealer was just a middle man in the transaction. The tent guy was extremely nervous that he was buying from a farang, because of all the hoops and hurdles DLT came up with.Ot all worked out in the end and everyone was happy but the nervousness by all parties was palatable. This was in Chiang Mai, this was third vehicle purchase in 20 years.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That should work in most instances. The Certificate of Residence would need to be in Thai as the OP will be dealing with a Thai business.

The OP says immigration are asking for 'many papers'. If the OP can't provide immigration with acceptable proof of where he lives, maybe that's the first hurdle?

Just hope that the OP's chosen dealership isn't pig-ignorant or from the "can't be arsed" brigade. There's a history of some saying 'cannot' because they mistakenly believe that foreigners have no legal means to buy a car in their name OR they just can't be bothered with the marginally extra paperwork that may be involved. If it's in the provinces, a lack of language skills from both parties can be the excuse for them to say no.

Good luck.

I assumed the OP has a long term visa, in which case, he already proved his living address...oops.

A lease or yellow book is all that is needed for the CoR.  One dealer may have simply accepted my yellow book, without the CoR, as one was quite some ago.

CoR is usually in lieu of having a yellow book in many instances.

• Like 1

I recently bought a new car from a main Toyota dealer. They required:

• Money!
  • Yellow book or Cert of Residence from immigration (valid for vehicle purchase)
  • Copy of passport I.D. (for new vehicle registration) My Thai I.D. was not acceptable

I used my yellow book.
The dealer sorted out everything, great service.

Edited by Madgee
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I assumed the OP has a long term visa, in which case, he already proved his living address...oops.

A lease or yellow book is all that is needed for the CoR.  One dealer may have simply accepted my yellow book, without the CoR, as one was quite some ago.

CoR is usually in lieu of having a yellow book in many instances.

The problem is some immigration offices don't accept the yellow book as proof of where you live. I recall a few threads from a few years back saying that Jomtien didn't accept them and one needed whatever else they thought acceptable, such as a rental agreement if a tenant and something else for condo owners. Maybe it has changed (again).

In my experience, the dealership wanted anything and everything that had my face/name/address on it. When they noticed my Thai DL didn't have the same address as the yellow book, I had to get the DL updated and reissued as that was the only Thai document that had my face on it and could link to my passport that has my face but no address in it. Pedants the lot of 'em.

They are mostly winging it when a farang wants to buy something.

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't have a yellow book because my Amphur wont issue one to farangs

I thought it was only falangs that could get a yellow book.

I brought a car in Chonburi, from a tent and they registered it in my name for me using my pink card. they even delivered it a 5hr drive away. 

18 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't have a yellow book because my Amphur wont issue one to farangs but I do have a copy of my tax return which has been accepted by banks as proof of ID and address.

Now I'm getting confused if you have a CoR then why not just use that.? What other papers are immigration asking for??

just a list will do.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I brought a car in Chonburi, from a tent and they registered it in my name for me using my pink card. they even delivered it a 5hr drive away. 

Not every Amphur will issue yellow books, even though they are required by law to track the foreigners who live there.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
28 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't have a yellow book because my Amphur wont issue one to farangs

Correct, but not all Amphur's are farang-freindly while some are just pig-ignorant.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Now I'm getting confused if you have a CoR then why not just use that.? What other papers are immigration asking for??

just a list will do.

I did use the CoR, the requirement to show my passport in person was in addition. I get my CoR's via my agent who handles all aspects of my dealings with Immi for me, they have copies of all the documents used for my visa extentions..

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

just a list will do.

@Mike Lister was relating his experience while selling a car where obtaining a CoR was not a problem.

It's the OP who's trying to buy a car and suggests immigration are asking for "many papers" for a CoR who is having a problem.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Correct, but not all Amphur's are farang-freindly while some are just pig-ignorant.

You could try talking to your local Puu Yai aka village chief, he is technically your local councilor, take a interpreter if necessary, someone who voted for him even better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

@Mike Lister was relating his experience while selling a car where obtaining a CoR was not a problem.

It's the OP who's trying to buy a car and suggests immigration are asking for "many papers" for a CoR who is having a problem.

Oops solly, well my question was to the OP give us a list of papers wanted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Not every Amphur will issue yellow books, even though they are required by law to track the foreigners who live there.

Same when you die your death has to be registered with them,

End of story is they just don't know how to do it, its too hard for them, especially if no one can speak English.

• Like 1

2004 went to Immigration for Certificate of Residence what a performance and silly copy after copy of paperwork would then only send it + took 3 weeks

Never been there again, since then always see my local 'Head Man' we go to the town hall and get the Certificate simple  no waiting no money, I have been on the Amphur Computer since 2004, so every time I need a new Certificate they simply bring up my file change the date > print > take to Boss = signed and big red seal stamp... have in my hand within 30 mins

Likewise last time went to Nonthaburi DLT was 2008 = all day job,  now just drive out into the sticks to a DLT, easy simple  eg: last renewed DL there were 5 people there in & out in less then 1 hour with new licence in hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Same when you die your death has to be registered with them,

End of story is they just don't know how to do it, its too hard for them, especially if no one can speak English.

Correct. Ignorance and indolence in equal measure.

• Like 1

What crap IOs y'all use.  Myself; Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Ranong, PKK ... walk in with no unexpected unrealistically asked paperwork of 'all' things.

For CoR (UT & NK), simply needed lease/rental agreement or yellow book, leave 5-15 mins later with CoR in hand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, KhunLA said:

What crap IOs y'all use.  Myself; Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Ranong, PKK ... walk in with no unexpected unrealistically asked paperwork of 'all' things.

For CoR (UT & NK), simply needed lease/rental agreement or yellow book, leave 5-15 mins later with CoR in hand.

This is Thailand. You cannot arbitrarily throw the word "simply" into any conversation based on your own, unique experiences.

For example, what if the person seeking the CoR (in UT & NK) has neither a rental agreement nor a yellow book?

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

This is Thailand. You cannot arbitrarily throw the word "simply" into any conversation based on your own, unique experiences.

For example, what if the person seeking the CoR (in UT & NK) has neither a rental agreement nor a yellow book?

Considering what a CoR is needed for, then he or she is an idiot, and didn't do any research before moving here.  Would explain why so many fail.

Thinking of moving to TH ... hmm, what do I need?

I'll just find out when I get there ...  what could go wrong.

First question I asked prospective landlord is...

... will you do TM30, and can I submit lease to Imm

The very basic needed to live in TH long term.

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Considering what a CoR is needed for, then he or she is an idiot, and didn't do any research before moving here.  Would explain why so many fail.

Thinking of moving to TH ... hmm, what do I need?

I'll just find out when I get there ...  what could go wrong.

First question I asked prospective landlord is...

... will you do TM30, and can I submit lease to Imm

The very basic needed to live in TH long term.

So you did your homework, well done you. It's no excuse to call people you don't know with different circumstances an idiot. Only an idiot would do that.

My point was that by using the word "simply", you suggest that's all that anyone will need to get a CoR. This based solely on your unique experience.

There's no 'one size fits all' when it comes to dealing with bureaucracy here in Thailand, none whatsoever.

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So you did your homework, well done you. It's no excuse to call people you don't know with different circumstances an idiot. Only an idiot would do that.

My point was that by using the word "simply", you suggest that's all that anyone will need to get a CoR. This based solely on your unique experience.

There's no 'one size fits all' when it comes to dealing with bureaucracy here in Thailand, none whatsoever.

NO, actually I was a complete idiot ... BUT ... was able just just leave at any time, having the funds to do so.  At worse, walk away from a rather inexpensive house that was built.  Less than $10k USD invested.

Also, no real internet forums and or source of info, that I was really aware of, 23 yrs ago.   A bit more ignorance, as simply didn't look before moving here 🤣   Info is simply too readily available now to go blindly to a foreign country, especially if cutting ties with home country at the same time.

If I was to do the same now, yes, I'd be an idiot...again.

Actually back to my original comment you replied to, it was more about the IO y'all use, not he person seeking the CoR.  Noting the offices I did use for all things, and it was a 'simple' process.

Another reason I wouldn't have my Thai address at Krung Thep, Phuket or Patts/Jomtien, as couldn't deal with their silly requests.   Way too frustrating, and why I lived where I did.

Better research, more smiles.  No reason for ignorance in 2022/23.

Simply asking on a forum, what is needed for CoF @ Nonthaburi after Imm told him what is needed, speaks volumes of the OP.   Simply do what they ask, as nobody here can help you, more than Imm already has.

Nothing against the fine membership here🙄 but you don't see me posting too many queries.

Edited by KhunLA

I've bought and sold several cars in different provinces in Thailand. Most recent was a brand new Mitsubishi ute from one of the dealerships in Pattaya about 9 years ago. All that was ever needed was the Cert of Residence from IMM, and from memory a copy of my PP. All the cars I've bought have been in my name, on a couple of occasions they tried to get me to put the car in my Thai gf's name...easier for them. I flatly refused, said it's going to be my car, paid for with my money. Once I went to the Isuzu dealer in Udon Thani to buy a brand new Spark and they wouldn't sell me one, they kept going on about a Thai wife.