Mandarins but no oranges?

THAIPHUKET

There are. 

Available in Big C and Lotus Supermarkets in Pattaya and Bangkok.

Actually a better kind/brand available in Thailand just roughly one year ago --  fruitless and more delicious. 

Cheaper too.   I bought and ate plenty. 

20 minutes ago, champers said:

What is the difference between a mandarin and a tangerine? Oh and satsumas were very popular in the UK at Christmas.

According to all my Thai friends, no difference, everything is som, I say tangerine, they say “arai na, mai som”

No it's not just you @THAIPHUKET. I also have a preference for navel oranges. (Big C seem to Like calling them nevel oranges!) but they are not always available. So I just 'suck it up' buy what's available. I don't bother tramping the around the stores, I just assume they're not around at the moment.

Right now they are available and they're delicious.

• Like 1

Since YEARS I am after tasty oranges here in Thailand. Without success. Actually I am after the juice because I need it occasionally for cooking. The ready made juice - even the most expensive direct pressed important ones for a fortune - do not really satisfy.

In Switzerland you walk into your casual supermarket and get the finest of both.

Most seem to be from Spain. The best ready made juice is actually from France (see picture). If yo have any idea whrere I could get this stuff I would be delighted.

Thanks

Could contain:

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Imagine if Thailand opened up to imports without high taxes or banning certain products. You would have 10 different orange varieties to choose from. 

"Imagine if Thailand opened up to imports without high taxes or banning certain products". Imagine if posters knew what they were talking about before posting.  

What "high import duty rates" are oranges subject to and which oranges are banned?  Here's a hint...there aren't any high rates and there aren't any varieties that are banned.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Imagine if Thailand opened up to imports without high taxes or banning certain products". Imagine if posters knew what they were talking about before posting.  

What "high import duty rates" are oranges subject to and which oranges are banned?  Here's a hint...there aren't any high rates and there aren't any varieties that are banned.

You are not wrong but you need to read between the lines. The overall policy of Thailand is to limit importing and stick with the Thai manufacturing, services and products. Thailand is very protective of its brand and fairly so. But at a price. Lack of choice. I have no idea on exact details on oranges but I do know that if I tried to import a container of navel oranges into Thailand it would be impossible without paying massive paper bag money first.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TimeMachine said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You are not wrong but you need to read between the lines.

I know that I'm not wrong.  This thread and my comment referred only to nonsense about banned, over-taxed oranges, not reading between the lines.  You can do that if you want to derail the topic.

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that I'm not wrong.  This thread and my comment referred only to nonsense about banned, over-taxed oranges, not reading between the lines.  You can do that if you want to derail the topic.

Keep the wrinkles in it champ. Everybody can give their opinions.

4 hours ago, TimeMachine said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Keep the wrinkles in it champ. Everybody can give their opinions.

Gawd...   As can !  Keep the wrinkles in your own.

9 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:
30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes you can but you can't offend people while doing it by saying others talk nonsense. 

I didn't "offend" anyone, I just stated a fact, the claim you made regarding over-taxed and banned oranges was nonsense.  If you are offended by accuracy, that is up to you.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't "offend" anyone, I just stated a fact, the claim you made regarding over-taxed and banned oranges was nonsense.  If you are offended by accuracy, that is up to you.

I guess there lies the problem. We can agree to disagree. That's always a good way to settle. I don't think we can end up convincing each other. 

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

34 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Yes you can but you can't offend people while doing it by saying others talk nonsense. 

Hey hey now…this thread is about the wonders of oranges 🍊 

On 10/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, CharlieH said:

Oranges in Makro and Big C. BigC usually are Thai Oranges,  Makro have Oranges and Mandarins

Oranges are so much more tasty. What is the reason that mainly mandarins are offered here and oranges are hard to get.

If oranges are sold at macro, the quantity is big and difficult to eat in a short time before they get mushy