Hearing Put Off In Koh Phangan Murder Case

webfact

image.jpeg

KOH SAMUI Provincial Court today (Oct. 26) postponed a hearing of a Spanish chef who has been charged with murdering a Colombian surgeon on Koh Phangan last August with his body parts found packed in a suitcase and dumped in the sea and the  rest discarded at a garbage dump, Naewna newspaper said.

Mr. Daniel Jeronimo Sancho Bronchalo., 29, was brought to the court for the hearing in the murder and dismemberment of  Colombian surgeon Mr. Edwin Arrieta, 44, at 9 a.m. but this was postponed till Nov. 13 after he requested a Spanish interpreter as he was not fluent in English.

image.jpeg

Spanish chef Daniel Sancho reenacting the crime on  Koh Phangan after his arrest. Picture: NaewNa

The hearing was initially put off till 1.30 p.m. and when it resumed the court had arranged for an online Spanish interpreter but Sancho asked for one to be present in person as he was afraid that distant communication could lead to inaccuracies.

The hearing will now take place at 9 a.m. on Nov. 13 with the Spanish embassy to send a Spanish interpreter to the Koh Samui court on that day.

by TNR Staff 

TOP: Spanish chef Daniel Jeronimo Sancho Bronchalo. Picture: NaewNa

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-10-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The hearing will now take place at 9 a.m. on Nov. 13 with the Spanish embassy to send a Spanish interpreter to the Koh Samui court on that day.

And so they should, with the law here only Thais can be lawyers.

He should be allowed to know what is being said in court, even if he is guilty as hell.

34 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Good luck with that service from the British Embassy if you ever need it.

I think that the difference between the British community with almost 90,000 and the Spanish community with a few thousand, would be the difference in “Customer service.” 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:
  • Bangkok’s reckless foreign rider roils social media, netizens demand action
  • Swiss Fugitive Arrested in Thailand on Drug Charges
  • Hearing Put Off In Koh Phangan Murder Case

Interesting, that within 24 hours there are three headlines of those bad, bad alien dirty farang breaking the law. 

While I agree to take them to reason and responsibility of what they did/might have done it clearly shows the increase of media racism, as - during the very same time - tens of  thousands of law breakers of Thai origin could have been reported. 

The result is, that the public views non-Thais as evil, overly rich, lazy and for those reasons easy targets to be cheated, overcharged and lied upon - me thinks! 

I made a similar post on 11 October:- 

"Isn't it  nice that all the latest negative news regarding farangs seems to not include "Brits Behaving Badly"?

We have Israelis causing chaos, Danish men possessing illegal firearms, and even Indian men on 3168 days overstay - and that's just today's news"

5 hours ago, Dexxter said:

He has a YouTube channel and the article gives his full name. It takes 30 seconds to find his "over-complicated butter chicken" video and see his face. Why do they bother to blur it in the photos in the article?

Because he does not meet the Thai criteria for 'hansum man'?

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:
  • Bangkok’s reckless foreign rider roils social media, netizens demand action
  • Swiss Fugitive Arrested in Thailand on Drug Charges
  • Hearing Put Off In Koh Phangan Murder Case

Interesting, that within 24 hours there are three headlines of those bad, bad alien dirty farang breaking the law. 

While I agree to take them to reason and responsibility of what they did/might have done it clearly shows the increase of media racism, as - during the very same time - tens of  thousands of law breakers of Thai origin could have been reported. 

The result is, that the public views non-Thais as evil, overly rich, lazy and for those reasons easy targets to be cheated, overcharged and lied upon - me thinks! 

For goodness sake. That is a very 'myopic' view on things.

Not many Thais read AseanNow. It is aimed at foreigners. ie people like you and me.

Try reading the Thai press (and even a fair number of threads on AseanNow). I think that you will find more than one or two articles about Thais behaving badly. Usually killing each other.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sambum said:

I made a similar post on 11 October:- 

"Isn't it  nice that all the latest negative news regarding farangs seems to not include "Brits Behaving Badly"?

We have Israelis causing chaos, Danish men possessing illegal firearms, and even Indian men on 3168 days overstay - and that's just today's news"

On the Thaiger main page at the moment, there are 8 stories of Thais behaving badly and 2 stories of foreigners behaving badly.

And the Thaiger is aimed at foreigners/English speakers.

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The Thai guy who provides English/Thai interpretation to the court in Phuket, speaks English, as well as what I do 😉. Seriously, though, the post requires a degree and often a Masters. Appointments are normally made by the court, not the embassy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dexxter said:

He has a YouTube channel and the article gives his full name. It takes 30 seconds to find his "over-complicated butter chicken" video and see his face. Why do they bother to blur it in the photos in the article?

And they often show the faces of the victims, why wouldn't they show us the faces of the perps, they're the ones who deserve to be out there in the public eye. 

On 10/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, AhFarangJa said:

I am pretty sure the British embassy doesn't provide Spanish interpreters, or at least not the one in Bangkok.

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, AhFarangJa said:
On 10/27/2023 at 2:52 AM, webfact said:

Spanish embassy to send a Spanish interpreter to the Koh Samui court on that day.

I agree. The British Embassy's Spanish translators are rubbish.

• Haha 1