Thai realtors never fail to amaze me

I have seen parking or storage included in a condos sq meters often in Australia, and that sq meters is also included when calculating the yearly condo fees. 

A lot of condo blocks never have enough parking, having your own spot included on title is a bonus.

• Like 2

Guaranteed that half the time, especially on holiday weekends, you'll find your space has been nicked by some uncaring swab or other. Either that, or someone's illegally parked so that it's impossible for you to get in, even though your space is empty.

Edited by jesimps

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Guaranteed that half the time, especially on holiday weekends, you'll find your space has been nicked by some uncaring swab or other. Either that, or someone's illegally parked so that it's impossible for you to get in, even though your space is empty.

Let there tyres down

• Thumbs Up 1

For those of you dissing realtors, do you realize there really isn't any other option to finding the home that you need here in Thailand?

And newnative, you are absolutely right, some of them work very hard for their smallish commission, IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

For those of you dissing realtors, do you realize there really isn't any other option to finding the home that you need here in Thailand?

And newnative, you are absolutely right, some of them work very hard for their smallish commission, IMO.

There are options example we bought one property from a sign with no realtor another property we found from a village headman - but he actually when I think of it he was sort of a realtor... nice guy very helpful....

On 10/31/2023 at 7:27 AM, Peterw42 said:

I have seen parking or storage included in a condos sq meters often in Australia, and that sq meters is also included when calculating the yearly condo fees. 

A lot of condo blocks never have enough parking, having your own spot included on title is a bonus.

I have never seen a titled parking space in Bangkok condos, so includind this is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Think you'll find all humans in all business that aim for the quick buck will be crooks, especially those on commision. But somehow , yes , REAgents stand out 

Very true what you say...and thanks for the reminder...I forgot to include the crooked lawyers and insurance brookers too !!!

• Love It 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:00 PM, newnative said:

I have no idea what the calculated size of the condo you were considering has to do with your topic 'thai realtors never fail to amaze me'. 

Realtor represented condo to be 161 sq mtrs living area.  Only after questioning did they tell me that was not all living area. Contrary to your experience, in renting or looking to buy higher end properties in Bangkok, I have found realtors to be lazy and try to push properties that did not meet the requirements they were told I needed.  A common tactic, advertise a property for sale and once contacted, the response “it just sold, but I can help you find something else”.  This has happened repeatedly.   Recently looked at a condo that I leaned had a pending legal issue.  Realtor told me it was not a problem.  Subsequently spoke to the building manager who told me it was a significant issue.  Congratulations on finding good realtors.  My experience has been the opposite

Edited by Fortunateson
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fortunateson said:

A common tactic, advertise a property for sale and once contacted, the response “it just sold, but I can help you find something else”.  This has happened repeatedly

When I saw the topic title, this was what I expected to read about. In my experience the old "bait and switch" here by realtors is common practice. I've seen condos listed on Sukhumvit Soi 11 for less than 5 million Baht. Call the numbers and you get "sold already but we have others at 8-10 million and up". No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:47 PM, CanadaSam said:

Smallish commission ! it's 500% what i would pay in the UK and there the realters prepare glossy printed property details to hand out.

BTW i think it's OK to include balcony sizes in the overall condo size, i think a big balcony is vital here.

Edited by Henryford
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Fortunateson said:

Realtor represented condo to be 161 sq mtrs living area.  Only after questioning did they tell me that was not all living area. Contrary to your experience, in renting or looking to buy higher end properties in Bangkok, I have found realtors to be lazy and try to push properties that did not meet the requirements they were told I needed.  A common tactic, advertise a property for sale and once contacted, the response “it just sold, but I can help you find something else”.  This has happened repeatedly.   Recently looked at a condo that I leaned had a pending legal issue.  Realtor told me it was not a problem.  Subsequently spoke to the building manager who told me it was a significant issue.  Congratulations on finding good realtors.  My experience has been the opposite

With regard to the sqm issue, the realtor may have assumed you were aware of how condos are measured here.  Thailand does not have an MLS system--multiple listing service.  It's perfectly normal for a property to still be advertised for sale and yet actually be sold--by another agent in another agency.  There is no way for an agent to go on to a centralized MLS-type system and get up-to-date information on a property's status--still for sale, under contract, or sold.

Several years ago we sold a condo in Northshore.  We had it listed with a lot of agencies. I think it is still advertised on Hipflat with a few obscure agents, even though I notified most that it had sold.  If you see it on Hipflat and ask about looking at it with your agent--or even the agency with the listing on Hipflat, the first thing they will do is check if it is still for sale, or did it sell with another agency.  If it is sold, I see nothing wrong with an agent asking if there is anything else they can show you.  We still get calls for some of our condos that have sold years ago--that's an agent doing their job and checking first that a property is still for sale before taking you around to see it, only to discover it has been sold.

You have a legitimate point with an agent connecting the right properties with the right buyers.  Several times we have had buyers view our properties when clearly our property was not suitable--for reasons such as too small or too big, priced way over buyer's budget, etc.  These cases were mostly with what I would call non-legitimate agents, and, in some cases, not really very serious ones.    We try to work with legitimate agents from established offices--and those are the ones who have mostly sold our properties, but we are gracious and welcoming to any agent who brings a client, even if it sometimes turns out to not be a fit.  You never know . . .

A good agent, from a legitimate, established office, should do a detailed interview with the buyer before showing properties--no good agent wants to be wasting their time showing you something not suitable.  It's also up to the buyer to be as specific as possible as to what they are looking for and give a maximum budget--there should be a good two-way communication going on between the buyer and the agent before the first property is viewed. 

It can be helpful to view photos of properties before you set out.  If you like the 'great room' concept and the house the agent wants to show you has the kitchen hidden away, you might say strike this one and find me something where the kitchen is visible from the lving/dining areas.  If you like a big kitchen island, say so.  Ditto for a bathtub or two car garage.  If you do not want a condo facing west under any circumstances, say so.  Ditto if all ground floor units are out.   The more information, the better.   And, if an agent or agency isn't meeting your needs, for whatever reason, look elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

Name some.

Not the ultra luxury buildings which are 0.01% so not quite normal.

So, now you are qualifying your answer, saying yes, my answer was correct, this is only true for 'ultra luxury buildings'.  Something is either true or not true.   There's no 'alternate truth', much as Trump would have you believe it.  In any case, View Talay 7 and View Talay 5C, possibly 5D in Pattaya, whch are not 'ultra luxury'.  In Bangkok, my condo, high-end but not 'ultra luxury', has units that came with reserved parking spaces that were purchased with the condos.  The rest of the parking, which is ample, is on a first come, first served basis.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:47 AM, CanadaSam said:

No other option? My condo building BB has  always has sale/rent posters you can contact owner directly. I bought mine from a friend of a friend. No realtors or lawyers just a meeting at the land office. Very nice lady, perfectly fair transaction and she made herself ”available” at all times but that is another story 😀

The time I have been shocked by realtors is looking in Hawaii where they show  dirty rental properties. Complete with abandoned furniture, trash, even saw mushrooms growing out of the carpet. The attitude  ”If you like want itwe clean then, and  also fix anything necessary in cooperation with the owner”.

Completely unheard of behavior anywhere else in US.

Edited by Captain Monday

6 hours ago, newnative said:

So, now you are qualifying your answer, saying yes, my answer was correct, this is only true for 'ultra luxury buildings'.  Something is either true or not true.   There's no 'alternate truth', much as Trump would have you believe it.  In any case, View Talay 7 and View Talay 5C, possibly 5D in Pattaya, whch are not 'ultra luxury'.  In Bangkok, my condo, high-end but not 'ultra luxury', has units that came with reserved parking spaces that were purchased with the condos.  The rest of the parking, which is ample, is on a first come, first served basis.

Wow.... what a bunch of crap.

What does Trump have anything to do with my question?

You said it is normal for Thai condos to have titled parking. I asked you a simple question - which condos and you go on ranting about Trump. 

Then you give me some answer confirming it is actually not not normal for condos in Thailand to have titled parking.

You also exposed yourself to be a mega liar. You claim to be some kind of a successful real estate flipper  (in Thailand out of all places), but you don't even have a clue what titled parking means.

No one here should be reading your lies.

Edited by Celsius

7 hours ago, Celsius said:

Wow.... what a bunch of crap.

What does Trump have anything to do with my question?

You said it is normal for Thai condos to have titled parking. I asked you a simple question - which condos and you go on ranting about Trump. 

Then you give me some answer confirming it is actually not not normal for condos in Thailand to have titled parking.

You also exposed yourself to be a mega liar. You claim to be some kind of a successful real estate flipper  (in Thailand out of all places), but you don't even have a clue what titled parking means.

No one here should be reading your lies.

I said it was normal that there was such a thing as condos sold with parking spaces in condo projects in Thailand, and not just in Bangkok--in response to your post, from another poster, that you had never seen any, and the whole idea was, in your words, 'ridiculous'.  In regard to using the word 'normal', one example.  It's normal for some people to have naturally wavy hair.  It dosn't mean everyone has naturally wavy hair.  Ditto for condo projects, regarding parking, reserved and otherwise.  

So, you then changed your story (where Trump comes in, just for some fun) and replied that if there was such a thing, it would only be in super-luxury projects.   I again pointed out that this was also not correct, and gave several examples off the top of my head, none of which are super high-end condo projects, which you claimed were the only ones that would have such a thing.  I think that sums it up.  Take a deep breath--it's no big deal.   And, feel free to skip right over anything I post.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 6:57 PM, newnative said:

I said it was normal that there was such a thing as condos sold with parking spaces in condo projects in Thailand, and not just in Bangkok--in response to your post, from another poster, that you had never seen any, and the whole idea was, in your words, 'ridiculous'.  In regard to using the word 'normal', one example.  It's normal for some people to have naturally wavy hair.  It dosn't mean everyone has naturally wavy hair.  Ditto for condo projects, regarding parking, reserved and otherwise.  

So, you then changed your story (where Trump comes in, just for some fun) and replied that if there was such a thing, it would only be in super-luxury projects.   I again pointed out that this was also not correct, and gave several examples off the top of my head, none of which are super high-end condo projects, which you claimed were the only ones that would have such a thing.  I think that sums it up.  Take a deep breath--it's no big deal.   And, feel free to skip right over anything I post.

wtf?