Retirement Visa Extension - Can It Be Blocked?

Anyone know if an extension to a retirement visa can be objected to by anyone? My ex-wife seems to know some people who knows some people and has threatened to make life uncomfortable. I suspect that trying to block my visa extension may be what she has in mind. Any thoughts out there?

Rich (as in Richard, not as in Wealthy)

Anyone know if an extension to a retirement visa can be objected to by anyone? My ex-wife seems to know some people who knows some people and has threatened to make life uncomfortable. I suspect that trying to block my visa extension may be what she has in mind. Any thoughts out there?

Even if she is well-connected I doubt she can do anything to derail your visa unless she knows of some irregularity. However, if you really feel she might try to cause mischief, why not set up a meeting with the Sunbelt people to discuss it with them? They could certainly let you know whether or not there is any cause for concern, and if there is reason for concern they may be able to help ensure that her efforts are not successful.

Edited by qualtrough

Even if she is well-connected I doubt she can do anything to derail your visa unless she knows of some irregularity. However, if you really feel she might try to cause mischief, why not set up a meeting with the Sunbelt people to discuss it with them? They could certainly let you know whether or not there is any cause for concern, and if there is reason for concern they may be able to help ensure that her efforts are not successful.

Great idea, thanks for the suggestion and the opinion.

Rich

rest easy OP, she may threaten something but I dont see anyway she can do anything about it

If the ex is really 'ex' under the law do not believe there could be a problem. But if still wife there could be as believe she may have to sign if a first retirement extension of stay. I know for a fact that if it were a change from support Thai wife to retirement the wife must sign paperwork before such a change is approved.

rest easy OP, she may threaten something but I dont see anyway she can do anything about it

If the ex is really 'ex' under the law do not believe there could be a problem. But if still wife there could be as believe she may have to sign if a first retirement extension of stay. I know for a fact that if it were a change from support Thai wife to retirement the wife must sign paperwork before such a change is approved.

I just did a change from support Thai wife to retirement in April of this year. Was done at Korat immigration though and did not have my wife with me nor did she have to sign anything. So this may depend on what office one does the extension or for that matter what officer you get. :o

It seems from reports Korat is following a different drummer. Mine was several years ago so may have changed but it was Bangkok and confirmed by two captain officer rank officials and they even refunded my application fee until I could apply with the wife. The reasoning was explained as Thai marriage law and that to abide by the joint property provisions the wife must sign understanding of my change of status.

The reasoning was explained as Thai marriage law and that to abide by the joint property provisions the wife must sign understanding of my change of status.

Did that make any sense to you? I can't see how the justification for extension could affect joint property provisions? Does the Thai wife have a bigger hook into you when your extension is based on "support" vice "retirement?"

I just did a change from support Thai wife to retirement in April of this year. Was done at Korat immigration though and did not have my wife with me nor did she have to sign anything. So this may depend on what office one does the extension or for that matter what officer you get. :o

8 days ago I followed this route at Jomtien office without any problems. My wife was not involved in the acquisition of the new visa. The issue of a married man's visa is a pain in the butt for the Immigration officials and they make doubly sure it is also just that for you.