Ticket $ 5,00. Taxes $ 53,39. Total $ 58,39. No one complains....

GypsyT

Pretty much the same everywhere. I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago about how much airlines actually make on ticket sales.

It quoted a flight from UK to the US (can't remember the departure or arrival points, but the ticket cost was 50p. The rest of the fare was made up of all sorts of taxes and fuel fees.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Perhaps it is just me, but I was taught to use commas and periods differently especially when the subject is money. 

(The subject line makes little sense without a secret decoder ring.)

The OP's European. Deal with it.

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Perhaps it is just me, but I was taught to use commas and periods differently especially when the subject is money. 

(The subject line makes little sense without a secret decoder ring.)

You must really get confused then when it comes to writing dates.  I know I do.

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Not really....  Today is November 1st 2023

Not in Thailand...  It's 2566 in Thailand, not 2023.

And in the USA, it may be 11/1/23, but in a huge section of the world it's 1/11/23.

Wanna see how confusing it can be...  Check out all the ways you can format dates and currency in, for example, Excel.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 7:06 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Usual low cost airlines illusion to get on top of ticket search.

And who believes in 5$ flights should have a legal guardian.

Much like another poster here, I have flown for £0.01 each way with Ryanair. Inclusive.  A few times in fact. Picked flights wherein we could do day trips, by flying out in the morning and back at night. London Stansted to Porto(Portugal) was one such trip if I remember correctly.  We got to peruse cities that we might not have usually visited. Interesting experiences. 

On 11/1/2023 at 4:42 AM, briley said:

Once paid 6p for a flight Liverpool to Dublin and return for 3 of us on Ryanair. Except for £17 parking paid nothing else. 

Luck of the draw.

Years back AA often had flights DM to CM for 99 Baht.

NOK Air also.

20 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's a pretty good deal. They are practically giving the tickets away. And yes, on short distances, these days, all those airport- and other taxes often make up half the ticket price. I presume one has to pay extra for even one bag?

Have you ever seen a flight ticket with no hand luggage included?

40 minutes ago, NextG said:

Have you ever seen a flight ticket with no hand luggage included?

No, but it would be interesting to attempt booking the flight to see whether the price, without the taxes, stays at 5$. Strange that airlines currently offer tickets at such low rates to fill the planes, unless they have trouble paying for the landing fees, etc.

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

No, but it would be interesting to attempt booking the flight to see whether the price, without the taxes, stays at 5$. Strange that airlines currently offer tickets at such low rates to fill the planes, unless they have trouble paying for the landing fees, etc.

I guess the OP already did that; hence the topic headline. 

On 11/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, impulse said:

And in the USA, it may be 11/1/23, but in a huge section of the world it's 1/11/23.

Never did understand why the US does it that way. November 1st 2023 is not ambiguous, neither is 1st November 2023. However, when using numerical representation, it always makes most sense to order the numbers by magnitude, whether ascending or descending, so day, month, year or even year, month, day.

5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Never did understand why the US does it that way. November 1st 2023 is not ambiguous, neither is 1st November 2023. However, when using numerical representation, it always makes most sense to order the numbers by magnitude, whether ascending or descending, so day, month, year or even year, month, day.

Year, month, day would be my preferred method, but I didn't make the rules.  I just had to deal with spreadsheets from China, Thailand, Spain, the USA and Malaysia.  And keeping the dates straight was a major PITA, especially when date was the x axis on a graph.

If I had my way, today would be 231103.  That's sortable.   Excel calls it 45233 and will format that number in soooo many ways.