Brief low down on buying and owning a car in Thailand

Kevin1908

I am planning a 3 month stay in Thailand next year as a precursor retiring there. I want a car but if I am not on a retirement or marriage visa can I own a car. As a last resort resort I could register it under my ex's name. At the end of my 3 month stay I would then lay the car up for when I stay permanently later in the year. Any pit falls to avoid if buying a used car?

10 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

How much is insurance typically?

Types of car insurance in Thailand… https://www.roojai.com/en/car-insurance/compare/

unfortunately, the rest of your question cannot be answered with the information you gave. type of car, value of car, age of car, age of driver, etc. etc. is needed.

As an example, we are paying 11,000 Baht for our Everest and nearly ฿50,000 for our E350e

First insurance is a good idea as if you have an accident the rep from the insurance company who comes to the scene of the accident will deal with nearly everything for you….provided it is a reputable company

Edited by JAS21

• 4 weeks later...

Compared to the UK where I come from is insurance typically less then the UK or more expensive. I would expect it to be lot less as labour rates for repairs to be a lot less than the UK and not encounter 20% sales tax. I think my BMW 320 was in the £450 mark fully comprehensive so 19,800 baht.

5 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

Compared to the UK where I come from is insurance typically less then the UK or more expensive. I would expect it to be lot less as labour rates for repairs to be a lot less than the UK and not encounter 20% sales tax. I think my BMW 320 was in the £450 mark fully comprehensive so 19,800 baht.

For a BMW 320 recent model for fully comp you will be paying upwards of 40k thb.

For three months don't bother buying a car it is an utter waste of time and effort. 

Rent a car for about 8 to 12k a month. 

How long would you lay up the car for ???

If more than 6 months you'll have other issues (involved with laying up the car / tyres / electrics / long term parking)...

Also, over that 9 months a car may likely depreciate more than you would have spent on 3 months rental. 

Thus: Rent and then buy when you move here for good.

As far as putting anything in your ex's name... why on earth would you do that ? she's an ex !!!

To register a car in your name you need Certificate of Residence (from immigration), or an Affirmation of Address (from your Embassy if it does it) - you'll likely need a Non-Imm visa for either of those, but the CoR has been given to those on Tourist visas, sometimes, but reports vary on that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1