Where to buy GT Rider maps

Pond Life

On 11/15/2023 at 8:22 AM, Sydebolle said:

In addition, Google's map on i.e. Laos is serious crap. Some areas have no internet signal either hence there is no reliable 100% working alternative, if you're in the sticks of Indochina. 

GTR maps can be ordered with David, the cartographer, directly at [email protected] :smile: 

Thanks Syd, Dave sorted me out with a set of their excellent maps.

15 hours ago, novacova said:

Use offline maps on my phone, I have the entire country loaded with routing and navigation in my phone and no internet needed

I like to ride small dirt roads up in the mountains. 

What I find is that phone based maps require you to zoom in excessively to find those small trails. I like to use the GT Rider maps to discover where the trails are, then plot my route onto Google maps on my tablet.

I recommend GT Rider maps to anyone who likes to get off the beaten track. 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2023 at 9:09 AM, Pond Life said:

Thanks Syd, Dave sorted me out with a set of their excellent maps.

I like to ride small dirt roads up in the mountains. 

What I find is that phone based maps require you to zoom in excessively to find those small trails. I like to use the GT Rider maps to discover where the trails are, then plot my route onto Google maps on my tablet.

I recommend GT Rider maps to anyone who likes to get off the beaten track. 

Personally for me paper maps are cumbersome, having to stop open and track. Easier to cradle the phone on the holder making it easier to track on the fly. The maps on the apps are continuously updated, paper is static. To each their own for whatever works best…

IMG_1176.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 6:37 PM, Pond Life said:

Hi, does anyone know where in Chiang Mai to buy hard copies of GT Riders maps ?

Go to this month's meet up on Wedneday the 29th in Chiang Kham and David could bring you some. 

https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/gt-rider-up-country-dinner-44-1148-chiang-kham.16109/#post-106894

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

You can often find the GT-Rider maps at Mr. Mechanics in the big city or also up at the Xcenter in Mae Rim.  They are an excellent complement to using online maps.  When I pull out my GT-Rider maps those with only online maps always crowd around me asking where to get them.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pond Life said:

Thanks Yorkshire, 

Is komoot what novacova showed in his images ?

No.

What I like about komoot is you can use it on desktop pc as well as on the phone.  

There are probably many similar apps for the phone, & they all seem to use the same data from OSM maps.

• Thumbs Up 1