Drawing Thai Characters

glenbat

I've got the following Thai wording I want to play around with and have tried a couple of times to set up Thai fonts on my computer but failed

รักแม่เสมอ

Can I draw it free hand, so long as I keep the shapes the same will it be understandable still?

To answer that question properly, you would need to scan and post your sketches for us to see.... generally it should be ok, but as for things to watch out for that I can think of: If you prolong the second vertical stalk of ก it could look more like ฤ (albeit with a missing loop), and if you miss putting the tail on the ส it becomes another letter, i.e. ล ... that's probably it, apart from that it should not be a major problem. But to make sure, post the design here or show it to a Thai person.

(I/You/He/She/We/They) love Mum always.

Here's a little tip - Whilst you're learning to write use lined paper and leave spaces between each line to allow room for vowels that go above/below the consonants. When you then start writing on lined paper without spaces aim for each consonant to be about half the size of the space you have to write in.

Edited by withnail

(I/You/He/She/We/They) love Mum always.

Without any hints as to a subject, I would agree.

Given that its a tattoo I would translate it as "I (will) always love mum"

Agreed, I was being a bit too literal there.

This is kind of off topic, but I wish I could improve my Thai handwriting. I've seen a few farangs with awesome Thai handwriting.

I also wish that I had better handwriting. Actually, my writing is more like printing than handwriting. There is a real skill in perfecting Thai handwriting. Perhaps we should post examples of our handwriting for others to view. Might be interesting to see the varying styles.

This is kind of off topic, but I wish I could improve my Thai handwriting. I've seen a few farangs with awesome Thai handwriting.

I also wish that I had better handwriting. Actually, my writing is more like printing than handwriting. There is a real skill in perfecting Thai handwriting. Perhaps we should post examples of our handwriting for others to view. Might be interesting to see the varying styles.

Agreed this is off topic - perhaps start a new thread on it?

On this question though, do you mean something along the lines of write something, scan it and post a picture? Could be a giggle !! How about a specific sentence to have a go at.

(BTW, my English handwriting makes doctors' look legible!)