Shingrix Shingles Vaccine now available in CM

Pond Life

A few months ago  I enquired if Shingrix vaccine was available in Chiang Mai, at that time it was not.

A few days ago I was at McCormick hospital getting a medical when I noticed an advert for  Shingrix. 

I enquired & was told it has been available since October & the price is 6,100 B per shot, you need 2 shots, 2 to 6 months apart. 

I got my shots in BC Canada, for approx 4,500 each.

Just a note of caution, both me & my wife had quite strong Flu like symptoms for about 36 hrs after both shots, I recommend planning to stay home after.

Note to Moderators, I  think this is Chiang Mai specific, please don't move it to the general medical forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Would one need to get another set of Shingrix shots after 10 years?

Good question which they do not give a firm answer to. I will, but both my father and brother (bro while in his mid twenties) have had shingles. I assume I may have a genetic predisposition. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

As I'm still dealing with the after-effects and postherpetic neuralgia (read: pain!) six months after a serious Shingles attack, I would spend ANY amount of money for a vaccine that could be back-dated to May 23rd when I went into the hospital at 3 am with a temperature of 105°, ANY amount of money that would alleviate the intense pain I experienced for the first THREE MONTHS.

I never paid attention to 'Shingles.' To me, it sounded like a 'little rash.' Maybe like Psoriasis... Nothing to worry about...

I had the wrong information. VERY WRONG.

You do NOT want to deal with this illness.  I was in the hospital with IV tubes sticking out of me for a week, then in bed at home for the next 3 months.

Today marks 6 months since my ambulance ride to Ram... and I'm still dealing with the pain and other symptoms.

Get the vaccines.

(Red= burning pain) This burning rash lasted for almost two months... applying medication several times daily. You do NOT want this disease. Get the vaccines!

hospital3.jpg

Eloquently put. Got my first shot free on recent UK visit . Wasn't difficult to find Shingrix in nakhon ratchasima ,St Mary's kept in stock. 6000 baht walk in 3 months after first . I researched how horrible a disease it is and would happily have paid double!

It's like a good motorcycle helmetand gloves I spent big on in UK . Accident a few weeks later, head and hands unmarked. My daughter was coming out for a visit and happily got her to bring an identical helmet with her . Some things just do not have a cost element you should factor in. Buy it!!

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Pond Life said:

A few months ago  I enquired if Shingrix vaccine was available in Chiang Mai, at that time it was not.

A few days ago I was at McCormick hospital getting a medical when I noticed an advert for  Shingrix. 

I enquired & was told it has been available since October & the price is 6,100 B per shot, you need 2 shots, 2 to 6 months apart. 

I got my shots in BC Canada, for approx 4,500 each.

Just a note of caution, both me & my wife had quite strong Flu like symptoms for about 36 hrs after both shots, I recommend planning to stay home after.

Note to Moderators, I  think this is Chiang Mai specific, please don't move it to the general medical forum. 

When I was back in the UK in Sept my niece said the vaccine had become available in Thailand and suggested the whole family had it. My wife emailed me and asked if I wished to be included, I agreed and the vaccine was ordered online.

My sister in law  and her brother both had fever and headache for around 24 hours, I only had slight ache in the arm for a few hours and my wife was a bit the same, so a bit hit and miss on side effects.

For anyone interested in the detail, this is a copy of the data sheet.

page 1.jpg

page 2.jpg

page 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

As I'm still dealing with the after-effects and postherpetic neuralgia (read: pain!) six months after a serious Shingles attack, I would spend ANY amount of money for a vaccine that could be back-dated to May 23rd when I went into the hospital at 3 am with a temperature of 105°, ANY amount of money that would alleviate the intense pain I experienced for the first THREE MONTHS.

I never paid attention to 'Shingles.' To me, it sounded like a 'little rash.' Maybe like Psoriasis... Nothing to worry about...

I had the wrong information. VERY WRONG.

You do NOT want to deal with this illness.  I was in the hospital with IV tubes sticking out of me for a week, then in bed at home for the next 3 months.

Today marks 6 months since my ambulance ride to Ram... and I'm still dealing with the pain and other symptoms.

Get the vaccines.

(Red= burning pain) This burning rash lasted for almost two months... applying medication several times daily. You do NOT want this disease. Get the vaccines!

hospital3.jpg

Holy <deleted> that that looks painful!  You have my full sympathy!  I had a severe case as well about 14 months ago, but it was on my face/head.  Still hurts like a bitch due to the post herpetic neuralgia...constant pain 24/7...cannot rest that side of my head on a pillow or wear a hat, helmet, etc  Waking up is the worst...the nightmare doesn't end.  It's completely exhausting and debilitating.  It has severely affected my life, to an extent I'm not comfortable talking about on a public forum. 

I will be getting the vaccine soon.  Have covid at the moment, so I'll have to wait a litte more until my immune system gets stronger. 

So many people seem to be getting shingles lately.  Maybe we should start a support group. 

Shingles is a horrific disease! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Having experiential knowledge of this disease, I'd be very happy to get a booster EVERY YEAR  regardless of the price if if meant I wouldn't have to go through this illness again.

26 minutes ago, YaiJung said:

Holy <deleted> that that looks painful!  You have my full sympathy!  I had a severe case as well about 14 months ago, but it was on my face/head.  Still hurts like a bitch due to the post herpetic neuralgia...constant pain 24/7...cannot rest that side of my head on a pillow or wear a hat, helmet, etc  Waking up is the worst...the nightmare doesn't end.  It's completely exhausting and debilitating.  It has severely affected my life, to an extent I'm not comfortable talking about on a public forum.

Easily, the worst medical experience of my life. I've had Dengue Fever twice, serious cases. But I'd take 10 Dengues over one Shingles any day! Any day!

This illness taught me the 'real' meaning of "Pain Management." It means accepting the pain 24/7 cuz it sure ain't going away!

You can only take painkillers for just so long before they start screwing up the body more than they help.

7 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Who is susceptible to Shingles?  Is it a result of measles or other virus in system from prior infection?  

If so, are some people not susceptible? 

If you have NOT had Chicken Pox, you can NOT catch Shingles. If you make contact with the fluid in the rash blisters (which is about the only way to transmit the disease,) you will get Chicken Pox instead.

However, if you have had Chicken Pox as a child, you ARE a candidate for Shingles later in life, without any need for contact with the disease.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, OneZero said:

From google: "Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus stays in your body for the rest of your life. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles."

It is far more likely to occur in your later years as the immune system wanes. After 70 is when they administer it free in UK. 

On 11/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, Chongalulu said:

I have a friend in Samui who's asked every hospital on the island for Shingrix and none have or can get it for him. Anyone know different or have suggestions? Flying to Bangkok twice is very expensive .

Phuket maybe?  Have your friend call hospitals on the mainland.  Start with Surat Thani and go from there. 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:32 PM, couchpotato said:

Actually 2 places in Bangkok at 5500 per shot (need 2 shots within 2-6 mths after first). I am going for first shot next week.

Can you share the links please? Will get mine done in BKK soon.

4 minutes ago, bg53 said:

Can you share the links please? Will get mine done in BKK soon.

Sure can...First places are 'Samitivej Hospitals' in Srinakarin and Sukhumvit 49.  About 13,000 baht for 2 shots (spaced apart).

Other place is 'Medconsult' a few minutes away from Samitivej on Soi 49. A bit cheaper I think for the 2 shots.

Wherever you go check that they have stock of the vaccine as it must be kept in a controlled environment.

Hope this helps you.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2023 at 11:38 AM, SiamAndy said:

They don't know yet because it hasn't been around long enough. It only got a general release in 2017. The data from the people who had it in the drug trials comes in every few years. At the moment, they say up to 7 years, but the initial data from the 10-year cohort suggests you are still covered at 10 years. They will have to wait another year or two to get the results from the bigger trial to be able to say 10 years with certainty. It will continue to creep up like that until they either identify when immunity starts to drop or that it never drops enough for a booster to be required.  

I got it at Medconsult in Bangkok in October (5,590 THB per shot). Thai Travel Clinic has it for 5,199 THB per shot, but they add doctor and hospital fees on top, so it comes out about the same as Medconsult in the end.

I had a really sore arm for a few days, like I'd been punched hard in the arm, but that was all. I've been waiting anxiously for Shingrix to come out here. My dad had recurrent shingles, and he wasn't the kind of man to complain about pain or illness, but shingles floored him every time. The only time I ever saw him cry was when he had a bout on his face. I would pay whatever they asked to never go through that. 

I'm glad it's finally made it to Chiang Mai!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, FolkGuitar said:

I've had Dengue Fever twice, serious cases.

There's a vaccine for Dengue now as well (Qdenga). You can get Dengue 4 times, and each subsequent infection has an increased risk for the most severe outcomes.  

On 12/2/2023 at 8:08 PM, couchpotato said:

Sure can...First places are 'Samitivej Hospitals' in Srinakarin and Sukhumvit 49.  About 13,000 baht for 2 shots (spaced apart).

Other place is 'Medconsult' a few minutes away from Samitivej on Soi 49. A bit cheaper I think for the 2 shots.

Wherever you go check that they have stock of the vaccine as it must be kept in a controlled environment.

Hope this helps you.

Not sure if I'd go to Medconsult to save a few Baht. Have no confidence in this lady.

I've had vaccines at Medconsult, Samitivej and MedPark. Medconsult is my preferred option because they are better organised and don't waste time. It always takes well over an hour at the hospitals, and you have to go over everything multiple times with different people, and then one room for blood pressure, another to see the doctor to get the prescription, another to get the jab, back to reception to do your 15-minute wait, and then find the payment counter and wait again. Then it's another wait to get your car back. It's tedious. At MC, it's all done in one room, and I can be in and out in 20 minutes. 

However, my husband has been to MedConsult for medical issues and wasn't particularly impressed. So if I needed to see a GP, I'd probably go elsewhere, but for routine stuff like vaccinations and health certificates, we've never had a problem.