Do you believe on Guru's,new age stuff?

georgegeorgia

A indian guy at my work was trying to sell me a ticket to see a "guru" called Sadguru I think his name was.

the tickets are very expensive and apparently this guy is famous around the world and he tells you how to run your life.

Talking about this stuff ..new age...or whatever they call it nowadays do you believe in tarot card readers and people who can speak to the dead?

I used to love Doris Stokes , she was able to talk to dead people

When I was in Philippines I went to see a palm reader in Manila she told me virtually nothing only my dad apparently was getting drunk up in heaven and was cheering for me !

Being Filipino she was actually using American English and said the old man was "rooting for me "!

I said to her the dirty old bugger 

"Don't tell me he is rooting up there too " 

Which went over the palm readers head ,"he'd be 105 now and he's still at it "! I said to her 

I had these visions of my now 105yo father with shirt off tattoed body holding up a beer bottle and cheering me on !  Good on ya son ya old C he would be saying apparently according to her 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

I can recall famous skeptic James Randi on the Don Lane show explaining that Doris Stokes may be full of cobblers and Don Lane getting in a tizzy and walking out. Australian thing. Then there was South Park where John Edward was voted the Biggest douche of the Universe. If they could they would do it without the 'I see someone with a name that starts with an A' stuff. 

Old age positive thinking

Nothing new about it

Books are free to download, his book is good

Youtube is free

The stuff is 5000 years old

Basically here are the best tips

1. Use good body posture and breathing if you feel flat

2 fast and eat well

3 exercise

4 put your goals into present tense such as "Iam happy, fit, health and weigh 80kgs. I enjoy walking 40km a week"

"I enjoy life and easily make new friends and make the most of each day"

Sometimes I watch videos i.e. the Chris Williamson's Modern Wisdom Podcast. I am not sure if that falls in your category.

Some "wisdom" is interesting and sometimes there are inspiring people.

I.e. I didn't expect much from this interview, but it's fascinating.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bignok said:

You just proved him right. That's why he's rich and you're not.

I lived through all the Hippy Flower power , era loved the music  and the optimism , but saw the rise of all the crummy Gurus  and the fake therapies  and so on  seen friends badly ripped off and mentally scared or exploited by it all , and other who live in Faerie land because of their so called insights ,,

dont be fooled !!!!    be scientific, be thoughtful and learn  and dont believe everything , just like the media or politicians or normal religions all based on  bull<deleted> and desire for power and money

3 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I lived through all the Hippy Flower power , era loved the music  and the optimism , but saw the rise of all the crummy Gurus  and the fake therapies  and so on  seen friends badly ripped off and mentally scared or exploited by it all , and other who live in Faerie land because of their so called insights ,,

dont be fooled !!!!    be scientific, be thoughtful and learn  and dont believe everything , just like the media or politicians or normal religions all based on  bull<deleted> and desire for power and money

Is English your first language?

Yes born and bred BigNok but I also have another nationality and speak 5 languages 3 fluently ,, why do you ask???

Also passed English language and literature at senior school 50 years ago .

Edited by liddelljohn

4 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

Yes born and bred BigNok but I also have another nationality and speak 5 languages 3 fluently ,, why do you ask???

Also passed English language and literature at senior school 50 years ago .

I can't understand what you are on about.

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2023 at 11:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I watch videos i.e. the Chris Williamson's Modern Wisdom Podcast. I am not sure if that falls in your category.

Some "wisdom" is interesting and sometimes there are inspiring people.

I.e. I didn't expect much from this interview, but it's fascinating.

In my lifetime I read many books about "how to live a better life" but the practical result was that I had less money and learned nothing that common sense didn't tell me.

The only book that was worth it was Allan Pease's body language book. Really worth while knowledge that is useful in any situation with other people.

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In my lifetime I read many books about "how to live a better life" but the practical result was that I had less money and learned nothing that common sense didn't tell me.

The only book that was worth it was Allan Pease's body language book. Really worth while knowledge that is useful in any situation with other people.

Body language and tone of voice. Mirror people and use the same tone as them and they like you better.

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

Avoid gurus, sages, seers and prophets. And certainly don't pay anyone to advise you how to run your life. 

It's all in the I Ching and Tao Te Ching, which you can get for free. 

I tried to avoid the numinous as much as possible.

"Avoid gurus, sages, seers and prophets. And certainly don't pay anyone to advise you how to run your life." 

Jiddu Krishnamurti would be proud of you......that's pretty much what he said.

He said not even to follow him.

28 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Avoid gurus, sages, seers and prophets. And certainly don't pay anyone to advise you how to run your life." 

Jiddu Krishnamurti would be proud of you......that's pretty much what he said.

He said not even to follow him.

Goggins I like. He walks the talk.