Pool maintenance cost

I've seen a wide range of estimates. Starting a new construction and unsure if I should build a pool.

How much would it cost to maintain per month?

I've seen people say the energy for the pump alone is $100/mth. Plus the cost of chemicals, cleaning, etc. 

The pool would be 4x10m. 

Anyone add a pool recently and have a rough idea? 

Have the same size of Pool. Running the Pool Pump costs nothing for me as I have Solar. Pool Service costs appr. 2000 THB per month, but have end the Contract after 6 month and do it now by myself. Pool chemicals are peanuts, 500-600 thb per month.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, maskedman2 said:

I've seen a wide range of estimates. Starting a new construction and unsure if I should build a pool.

How much would it cost to maintain per month?

I've seen people say the energy for the pump alone is $100/mth. Plus the cost of chemicals, cleaning, etc. 

The pool would be 4x10m. 

Anyone add a pool recently and have a rough idea? 

That's a long piece of string with way too many variables.

Depends how often you use it, whether you shower before you enter, whether you wear clean swim clothes and a whole host of other things.

I've used many pool cleaners before giving up in exasperation. Some seemed to go a good job in that the pools always looked clean, but not one of them could keep the pool chemistry correct. The main issue is low pH. I've seen it as low as <5, which starts to eat tiles, stainless steel steps, plastic pipes and pretty much everything else.

It's pretty simple once you learn and use decent test strips, plus it's decent exercise if you do it from within the pool.

18 hours ago, maskedman2 said:

pump alone is $100/mth.

Get a variable speed pump.  It will save up to 60% on electricity.

Variable speed Pump is about 1200 baht a month, 10 hours a day.

Salt Chlorinator helps.

15 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Depends how often you use it, whether you shower before you enter, whether you wear clean swim clothes and a whole host of other things.

I've used many pool cleaners before giving up in exasperation. Some seemed to go a good job in that the pools always looked clean, but not one of them could keep the pool chemistry correct. The main issue is low pH. I've seen it as low as <5, which starts to eat tiles, stainless steel steps, plastic pipes and pretty much everything else.

It's pretty simple once you learn and use decent test strips, plus it's decent exercise if you do it from within the pool.

A pH lower than 5 might be various reasons even an indication of renal dysfunction......🧑‍🎄

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, maskedman2 said:

The smallest pool circulation pumps are 350 Watt and will often run 24/7. So it's pretty easy 0.35 x 24 x 30 = 252 kWh or units per month x 4 baht minimum = 1,000+ baht. You might need a larger pump, so more likely 2,000+ baht in power consumption.

Chemicals etc. are fairly cheap – normally less than 1,000 baht a month – and with a bit of healthy exercise as free benefit, you can do the maintenance work yourself...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have built 3 pools, all salt systems, all granite tiled.

I recently changed the chlorinator on one to 4 times bigger than recommended, I run the pump for 75 minutes a day at sunset, electric bill on that house was 684 baht, empty for November but new tenant arrives on Friday.

Pool is 4m x 3.5m, granite tiled.

Yeah, i think electric is probably 1500+ a month - 

And then you will have pump depreciation and unexpected issues pop up - - but all together, I figure 6,000 a month though weekly maintenance and cleaning is about 2,000 w/chemicals etc it runs about 4,000 and more sometimes as my pool guy does extras... 

That said, I love my pool and I am not a big swimmer - it is relaxing, meditative and good for some excercise as walking outside is hot and tiresome but I walk in the pool...