Where to go (for the people who've been everywhere already)???

USslugga

I've been living in Thailand for nearly 7 years now.  I've been all over Thailand. 

-Chiang Mai

-Chiang Rai

-Phayao

-Nongkai

-Udon Thani

-Surat Thani

-Khao Sok

-Petchaburi

-Bangkok

-Samut Prakan

-Nakhon Nayok

-Pattaya

-Bangsaen

-SriRacha

-Chonburi

-Rayong

-Koh Larn

-Koh Chang

-Koh Samet

-Krabi

-Koh Samaeson

-Ayuttaya

-Kanchanaburi

And probably more places that I'm forgetting.  

So here comes the question:

As a long time resident of Thailand who's been almost everywhere, where should I go? 

I hate to use the term "hidden gem" but I'm sure there must be a couple wise geezers amongst you who have some nice locations that most people have never heard of.  

Basically, I need an idea on where my girlfriend and I can go over New Years.  Hopefully somewhere new and exciting (but still in Thailand). 

What is exciting to one person may seem boring to another so without knowing more about your interest it is hard to make recommendation.

You don't have Buriram listed so maybe Prasat Phanom Rung or Korat and visit Phimai. If beaches are more your thing there is Prachuap Khiri Khanmn or Chumphon.

Hope you find something interesting for the holidays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

Stay home. Spend the New Year holidays in bed with your friend.

As has been the case every previous New Year period, there will be slaughter on the roads. If you enjoy this spectacle, watch it on TV from the comfort of your home

In US cities three days when it's best to stay at home, IMO: NYE, St Patty's Day, Halloween.

OP: there are 2 Koh Changs (maybe others as well), one is near the Cambo border, the other in the Andaman (boat from Ranong).  I quite liked the Andaman one, quiet and rustic.  The 2004 tsunami gave the place a lot of publicity in Europe, and within a year or so there were loads of all-night reggae bars.  If you want to sleep, too bad.  Haven't been there since 2006 or so.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Puccini said:

Stay home. Spend the New Year holidays in bed with your friend.

As has been the case every previous New Year period, there will be slaughter on the roads. If you enjoy this spectacle, watch it on TV from the comfort of your home

And I read today bars are open until 6am. But I still can't go to tescos and by wine or beer fir my home at 10.30am crazy. Control control control

• Like 1

17 hours ago, USslugga said:

I've been living in Thailand for nearly 7 years now.  I've been all over Thailand. 

-Chiang Mai

-Chiang Rai

-Phayao

-Nongkai

-Udon Thani

-Surat Thani

-Khao Sok

-Petchaburi

-Bangkok

-Samut Prakan

-Nakhon Nayok

-Pattaya

-Bangsaen

-SriRacha

-Chonburi

-Rayong

-Koh Larn

-Koh Chang

-Koh Samet

-Krabi

-Koh Samaeson

-Ayuttaya

-Kanchanaburi

Go back to any of these places and see if you missed anything.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mae Hong Son or Phu Chi Fa. Take a tent to Phu Chi Fa, thousands of Thais camp there in January for the sunrises.

There is also a new skywalk in Chiang Saen.

Doi Chang has a sheep farm.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, biervoormij said:

What is exciting to one person may seem boring to another so without knowing more about your interest it is hard to make recommendation.

You don't have Buriram listed so maybe Prasat Phanom Rung or Korat and visit Phimai. If beaches are more your thing there is Prachuap Khiri Khanmn or Chumphon.

Hope you find something interesting for the holidays.

Prachuap Khiri Khan is missing. But you need to have a car and travel around.
It has many beaches, but its not just beaches.
Depending on how much time you have you can take a few days in Hua hin for new year if you like the festivities,
and/ or go to Sam Roi Yot and  Praya Nakhon cave,
Go to Kui Buri national park (but check best timing)  Yang Chum reservoir. Very few people around there.
further south to Prachuap town that has a beautiful bay and beach in Ao manao, Its not much of a tourist resort, another reason some like the place.
Then you can go further south to many beach resorts down to Bang Saphan.
with time, go further south to Chumpon. Go to Koh Tao if you like those kind of places. 

Edited by jojothai
add text
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:19 PM, USslugga said:

-Chiang Mai

-Chiang Rai

-Phayao

-Nongkai

-Udon Thani

-Surat Thani

-Khao Sok

-Petchaburi

-Bangkok

-Samut Prakan

-Nakhon Nayok

-Pattaya

-Bangsaen

-SriRacha

-Chonburi

-Rayong

-Koh Larn

-Koh Chang

-Koh Samet

-Krabi

-Koh Samaeson

-Ayuttaya

-Kanchanaburi

And probably more places that I'm forgetting.  

So here comes the question:

As a long time resident of Thailand who's been almost everywhere, where should I go? 

I hate to use the term "hidden gem" but I'm sure there must be a couple wise geezers amongst you who have some nice locations that most people have never heard of.  

Basically, I need an idea on where my girlfriend and I can go over New Years.  Hopefully somewhere new and exciting (but still in Thailand). 

This looks really nice 

https://munnorkprivateisland.com/en/home

• Like 1

Nimman area of Chiang Mai is good fun for NYE. There will be bands at the Nimman1 mall, tons of vendors and food, and the streets behind it are low traffic for greater ambience.

Also, the tourist mix skews Chinese and Japanese potheads, no prob no drunken fights.

• Like 1