Renewal of retirement extension

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

30 days in advance, some even say 45, and no, it doesn't change your renewal date...

So what are my options if I have to go out of Thailand more that 30/45 days before renewal date is due? 

PS. I meant to say in my OP "next year", not "this year".

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

A few years back jomtien I did as Dr.Jack, I went in explain my situation showed them my airline ticket they made a exception.

Out of interest...how many days prior to expiry date did immigration allow you to apply for extension? 

OP wrote that he would be out of Thailand when the 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Retirement Visa would be due.

That's unfortunate as not applying for the 1-year extension when it is due would invalidate the Permission to stay, and force him to start from scratch again. 

There are however two options that might solve that situation:

#1 - Contacting your local Imm Office and explaining the situation, and requesting whether it would be possible to make an exception for him and do the application earlier than the 30-day (or at some offices 45-day) prior to his current 1-year extension expiry date. As mentioned by other posters providing some evidence of the impossibility to return before the due date would be helpful (e.g. the flight ticket reservation to leave Thailand would already be helpful to make your local Imm Office consider making an exception). 

I also suggest to ask immediately when in the Imm Office to talk to the officer in charge, as such request would have to be approved by him/her and that would avoid the desk officer denying your request while the officer in charge might be more inclined to provide it.

#2 - In case you are married to a Thai national, and you did not already use it earlier on your current Retirement Visa/extension, you could apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife.  And those 60 days would be added to your current 1-year Permission to stay expiry date. 

Note that such 60-day extension of stay for reason of visting your wife, can always be applied for irrespective on how you entered Thailand (Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa) or on which Non Imm O Visa you are staying.

Note that in case your Imm Office denies your request for early application, that you could raise this possible option with them but of course that would only be possible when you are actually married to a Thai national.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Out of interest...how many days prior to expiry date did immigration allow you to apply for extension? 

My extension ends Feb 20th every year like clock work I do my extension 30 days prior so around Jan 20th or close.

An emergency came up Left with no choice I booked a ticket I believe was 7-10 prior to Jan 20th, the key I believe was my return was beginning of March after the expiration.

• Thanks 1