Optical Prescription Without Glasses, Chiang Mai.

sirwilly

Does anyone know an Optition that will do an Eye test and give the prescription for a fee ,I want to order  the glasses from Zenni on line as I have done in the past but I now think I need to update my present prescription. 

On 12/21/2023 at 12:59 PM, lopburi3 said:

Go to a hospital for ophthalmologist eye exam and they will provide and you have medical check at same time.

Having gone recently to CM Ram to see an ophthalmologist for an eye infection, she recommended we see the hospital optometrist for an updated eyeglass prescription.  So, at least ophthalmologists at Ram, as is the case for most medical doctors do not do the eye exams for prescription eyeglasses--they are medical doctors--in Thailand, it is difficult to find a real, trained optometrist, who will do a complete and accurate eye exam--most definitely, those machines in the shopping malls that eyeglass shops use, which spits out a prescription after gazing for a moment into it, are not accurate, nor are most others who pretend to do an eye exam and who have the necessary equipment to complete an exam accurately.  

We did end up seeing the optometrist as Ram and had a good exam and received the eyeglass prescription--so, you might try there.  I will add that the best, most western, most thorough eye exam, I have experienced in 20 plus years of living in Thailand--whether it be in Bangkok or here, was done at Vision Center here in Chiang Mai--however, they do the exam for free and do expect a purchase then of eyeglasses.

If they have an optometrist on site they may suggest you use them for final prescription, but in either case you are not committed to buy glasses from them.  In my case, years ago, an optometrist walked out on me after I could not see difference that he thought I should see and as said there are very few such trained persons in Thailand as it is a new profession here.  A normal ophthalmologist visit in my experience includes 20 foot test, computer test and pressure test so basic information is available to doctor from these - if he feels closer testing is required he is capable of doing himself.

As for "western" eye exams - some of the worst vision prescriptions I have ever had were from US optometrists - they could not even get eyeglass size right - and vision was totally bad.  Being western is not a guarantee of being good.  

Edited by lopburi3