When to follow blue highway signs

thailandsgreat

Is there any general rule when a biker can follow the blue road signs that, I believe, indicate highways, sometimes they are toll roads and sometimes not.

I was southbound on 36 from Chachoengsao and Google maps indicated U-turn and left turn. That was blue sign but ended nicely on road past "Buddha mountain" Kao Chi Chan

Followed blue sign to Pattaya in labyrinth at Laem Chabang and finally friendly toll staff had to show me how I had to go against traffic to get on track again.

Came from SiRacha and followed blue signs that ended nicely on good road at the side of the toll road.

You just have to know if the blue signs also are possible to follow on bike?

Google (set for bike) helps but yesterday sent me on a blue road it was impossible to avoid before you were on it and could just go for first exit.

Sometimes a biker must follow the blue signs? There is often no additional "no highway" sign to the destination, even though a road is available?

How do you know if a blue sign "Pattaya" is only a highway or if it also indicates a road navigable by bike?

Edited by thailandsgreat

• 1 month later...

I've found the Google Maps motorcycle setting to be very unreliable - often trying to take me on to the Expressways.

Yes, there are some Expressway entrance roads that also lead to normal (non-toll) roads, but usually the non-toll road will also be shown on a green sign amongst all the blue signage.  But it can be a lottery. 

There's also the blue sign entrances to the elevated Expressways with the huge 'No motorcycle' signs painted on the roadway, but some of them lead to a convenient U-turn, whereas others only go onto the Expressway.

I try to remember which is which when driving the car, then avoid the wrong ones when on the bike.

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I've found the Google Maps motorcycle setting to be very unreliable - often trying to take me on to the Expressways.

Yes, there are some Expressway entrance roads that also lead to normal (non-toll) roads, but usually the non-toll road will also be shown on a green sign amongst all the blue signage.  But it can be a lottery. 

There's also the blue sign entrances to the elevated Expressways with the huge 'No motorcycle' signs painted on the roadway, but some of them lead to a convenient U-turn, whereas others only go onto the Expressway.

I try to remember which is which when driving the car, then avoid the wrong ones when on the bike.

If you set your google maps setting to "NO TOLL ROADS" you do not have this problem... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/21/2024 at 6:05 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

If you set your google maps setting to "NO TOLL ROADS" you do not have this problem... 

"No motorways". National parks may have toll roads. "No motorcycles" indeed impractical.