Udon Thani school coach and sponsor face further child abuse charges

webfact

image.jpeg

An Udon Thani school football coach and a team sponsor are facing further legal action, as five more children aged between 10 and 13 have accused them of sexual abuse. The children, along with their families, sought support from Pavena Hongsakula, chairwoman of the Pavena Foundation for Women and Children, on Tuesday.

The two accused individuals, a 43 year old coach and a 64 year old retired military officer, were arrested by the police Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division (ATPD) on December 15. The charges came after the parents of two other victims sought help from the Pavena Foundation. Despite the charges, the suspects, who had created a financial support group for the school football team, have been released on bail, reports Bangkok Post.

The coach and the sponsor allegedly lured young players into staying at their residences, where the sexual abuse took place. Two team members, both 10 years old, have been rescued by the foundation.

The 13 year old boy, mother revealed that the families had initially been reluctant to file complaints due to the influential status of the accused. The grandmother of a 10 year old victim expressed her mounting concern after the release of the suspects, particularly when the coach attempted to meet her grandson in their shared community.

by Mitch Connor

Photo via Freepik

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The 13 year old boy, mother revealed that the families had initially been reluctant to file complaints due to the influential status of the accused. The grandmother of a 10 year old victim expressed her mounting concern after the release of the suspects, particularly when the coach attempted to meet her grandson in their shared community.

That is always a worry when bail is given to people of influence.

• Agree 2

Again and again this happens,  I've always thought it was a bit unnatural for any  bloke to actively put himself in a position where he is in daily prolonged contact with other people's children, dealing with one's own is more than enough for most people, at least it should be if done properly!

1000's of years ago our baser instincts would probably have been to kill the offspring of others on sight , before copulating with the mother, a bit like lions

If this was taken into consideration as part of the application process we might not be reading as many reports of this nature  It should be the default line of thought that the applicant is a pedo and up to him to prove he isn't

In the same way as its not natural for any bloke to choose a life of celibacy in the catholic church,  past events bear this out to an alarming

degree

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

I've always thought it was a bit unnatural for any  bloke to actively put himself in a position where he is in daily prolonged contact with other people's children,

What ? So no Male teachers, school bus drivers, pediatric doctors, etc. you do realize females have also sexually abused kids also.  Hindley to name just one.

Edited by brianthainess

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What ? So no Male teachers, school bus drivers, pediatric doctors, etc. you do realize females have also sexually abused kids also.  Hindley to name just one.

yes of course females have abused kids but it is a lot rarer, bus drivers and doctors in my opinion don't  have the same opportunities, but teachers yes there  need to be more stringent checks and i would add scoutmasters and football coaches to the list. nothing to be lost by being over cautious. and if it saves just one kid from the horrors of abuse then its worth the effort

Hindley was not an aspiring teacher, its impossible to weed out every sicko but the odds can be shortened, I cant see any valid argument for taking chances. should kids be put in danger for fear of appearing over cautious.? i don't think so

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

yes of course females have abused kids but it is a lot rarer, bus drivers and doctors in my opinion don't  have the same opportunities, but teachers yes there  need to be more stringent checks and i would add scoutmasters and football coaches to the list. nothing to be lost by being over cautious. and if it saves just one kid from the horrors of abuse then its worth the effort

Hindley was not an aspiring teacher, its impossible to weed out every sicko but the odds can be shortened, I cant see any valid argument for taking chances. should kids be put in danger for fear of appearing over cautious.? i don't think so

So how do you propose to weed out the "Male" abusers? background checks only work if they already have a history. 

19 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

How about 90 day reports and background checks for Thai teachers?  They wouldn't last a second.

Background checks would be a blessing. I'm not sure if they have to get the Thai police checks, like foreign teachers do. I've never heard of it happening. The schools should be insisting on this rather than rely on laws but then again...should...

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So how do you propose to weed out the "Male" abusers? background checks only work if they already have a history. 

I agree that it won't stop the problem, nothing will ever stop opportunism with this filth. They keep evolving and getting wise to child protection measures.

I think the checks certainly prevent reoffending and that is a large chunk of the current system. It certainly would be a good start to addressing the problem.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Difficult question, to which I don't have an answer.  Clearly the current safeguards are not enough, but what other options are there?

Background checks to weed out those with "history" could no doubt be improved, perhaps some sort of international database could be set up, if there isn't one already,  

I'm guessing most of the abuse takes place on a one on one basis, so there should be no opportunities  for any teacher to be alone with a child.   I'm also assuming that most of the abuse takes place outside of the school / classroom,  Is there any reason for a teacher to have any contact with the kids they teach outside of working hours?   If so then maybe some sort of chaperone system should be implemented, this would protect the children and also prevent false accusations being made against teachers

I doubt Increasing the penalties for abusers would achieve much   the consequences for those that get caught are already quite severe yet the abuse continues, and the death penalty never stopped murder .

Educating the kids and parents  to help them identify abusers would also be a possibility but bearing in mind the reluctance of many teachers to even discuss things like birth control I can't see that being anything other than , of limited use ,               There is an old saying, "it takes one to know one"  perhaps convicted pedo's could be used to help identify potential offenders, along the lines of the role played by hannibal lecter and others like him in the movies. 

There are endless possibilities, that could be explored,  

If only science could develop some sort of "pedo test" along the lines of the polygraph lie detector test

But,   would it even be allowed, ?   I have heard some astonishingly shocking reports mainly from the USA.  of progressive liberals arguing that pedo's should now be classed as "minor attracted people" the first step in an attempt to normalise their behaviour. 

God forbid that,such a test, if one existed, could,  in the future be considered to be contrary to their "human" rights

For those that think that would never happen, just remember, Homosexuality was  Illegal and generally reviled in many countries until relatively recently. I'm not homophobic and I am not saying that it was right.  But it is an example of how attitudes can change, Things once unacceptable become acceptable,  and vice versa, 

Pedophile is a considered a rather unpleasant adjective at present, lets just hope that "pedophobe" doesn't take its place

Edited by Bday Prang

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Difficult question, to which I don't have an answer.  Clearly the current safeguards are not enough, but what other options are there?

Background checks to weed out those with "history" could no doubt be improved, perhaps some sort of international database could be set up, if there isn't one already,  

I'm guessing most of the abuse takes place on a one on one basis, so there should be no opportunities  for any teacher to be alone with a child.   I'm also assuming that most of the abuse takes place outside of the school / classroom,  Is there any reason for a teacher to have any contact with the kids they teach outside of working hours?   If so then maybe some sort of chaperone system should be implemented, this would protect the children and also prevent false accusations being made against teachers

I doubt Increasing the penalties for abusers would achieve much   the consequences for those that get caught are already quite severe yet the abuse continues, and the death penalty never stopped murder .

Educating the kids and parents  to help them identify abusers would also be a possibility but bearing in mind the reluctance of many teachers to even discuss things like birth control I can't see that being anything other than , of limited use , 

If only science could develop some sort of "pedo test" along the lines of the polygraph lie detector test

But,   would it even be allowed, ?   I have heard some astonishingly shocking reports mainly from the USA.  of progressive liberals arguing that pedo's should now be classed as "minor attracted people" the first step in an attempt to normalise their behaviour. 

God forbid that,such a test, if one existed, could,  in the future be considered to be contrary to their "human" rights

For those that think that would never happen, just remember, Homosexuality was  Illegal and generally reviled in many countries until relatively recently. I'm not homophobic and I am not saying that it was right.  But it is an example of how attitudes can change, Things once unacceptable become acceptable,  and vice versa, 

Pedophile is a considered a rather unpleasant adjective at present, lets just hope that "pedophobe" doesn't take its place

Many kids have been abused in Thai schools, who is going to chaperone the kids to the toilet?

And now some offences do not carry a criminal record like the use of Yabba as an example.

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Many kids have been abused in Thai schools, who is going to chaperone the kids to the toilet?

And now some offences do not carry a criminal record like the use of Yabba as an example.

Again I don't have the answers,  But I can't see any reason why an adult should be able to access the kids toilets, except in some sort of emergency situation,  give each kid a swipe card to gain access, with just one available  to adults for such emergencies which must be signed for, is the best I can come up with off the top of my head.   Or maybe some sort of non intrusive CCTV ?   neither of which is totally foolproof

Drugs are a different matter, which I have not really thought about,  whilst use of illegal drugs it not necessarily indicative of being a pedo I do agree that it is far from Ideal,   I guess like many here, I was once reluctantly persuaded to visit a local school to speak a bit of english to some kids  for one morning.      I was invited and agreed to stay and have lunch with the teachers.  there was plenty of alcohol on the table and from what I could see in the recycle bins that was not a one off for my benefit.  So they could start with addressing  that.

I really have no experience in these matters ,  and some of my Ideas may sound ridiculous, my kids have long grown up and left school, but I still find it concerning,  Who wouldn't 

Edited by Bday Prang

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

In the case of football teams and the like, just having one mom there during practices and such would go a long way to ensuring safety. The moms could rotate the duty to reduce the burden. These predators need to hide their activities, and the moms have a vested interest in preventing that. I believe they would also notice any untoward behavior more quickly than others might. Simple and effective.

• Like 1

It doesn't get much worse than this, regarding Predator/Paedophiles in senior positions of trust near the kids.

Also, to give them bail, and then they try to contact one of the victims, they should be held without bail given the gravity of the offence, but they won't, ex military officer and a teacher.

Kids haven't a chance.

Even many of their parents baulk at the responsibility of taking it to the Police.

If I was a Thai parent, my first port of call would be Radio, TV and newspapers as that soon spurs the authorities into action.