Do car driving license allow you to drive a motorcycles in Thailand

driveout

When I exchange my Eu driving license at the DLT in Chonburi, my current license only covers cars and 50cc motorcycles. I'm curious if my new Thai license will allow me to ride motorcycles larger than 50cc or if a Thai car license permits driving any type of motorcycle? If its not possible what can i do to get a motorcycle license?Thank you for your help! 

Nope.

It's not much different than the US.  In the US you get a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement.
In Thailand you get a four-wheel license and a two-wheel license - so you get two separate licenses.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was able to get both a Thai Car & Thai Motorcycle licence using my UK Driving licence which showed the A & AM endorsement for small motorcycle (<50cc type things).

DLT in Bangkok didn’t know the difference, so it worked for me - experiences may differ of course.

There’s no harm in trying. 

Same here gave me both a Thai Car & Thai Motorcycle licence using my UK Driving licence

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, driveout said:

If its not possible what can i do to get a motorcycle license?

As written above, get an IDP from your home country.

If motorcycle is ticked, all fine. Unlikely.

I didn't have a motorcycle license from home country and did a new Thai license from scratch in 2017.

The theory test seems to have become a bit more difficult in the meantime.

"Driving test" on the office yard is a joke.

Guess that in Chonburi / Pattaya getting an appointment may need patience.

There are driving schools that can be helpful.

(visiting driving school is voluntary here :tongue: )

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Change the headline to ALLOW not obligate. And the answer is NO! A separate licence is needed, for which you need to PASS A TEST.

A separate licence for Motorcycles is required. I applied for both a car and motocycle licence using my UK licence and IDP and all I needed to do was pass a traffic light brake machine test,a colour chart test and a peripheral vision test.

No theory test or driving test required for either licence in Nonsung Udon Thani.

Edited by mlkik
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1