Motorbike Collision Kills Thai Man, Injures Foreign Man in Kathu

webfact

290229_0-696x383.jpg

Kathu – A Thai rider died and a foreign rider was injured after a big bike collided with a smaller motorbike in Kathu.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident at 8:00 A.M. on Wednesday morning (January 3rd) on the Wichit Songkram Road in Baan San, Kathu. They arrived at the scene to find a damaged big bike on the road. Another damaged motorbike was found in the opposite lane.

The big bike rider, identified only as Mr. Nirandorn, 43, from Ranong, was pronounced dead in the opposite lane with his big bike. The foreign rider, whose name was withheld by authorities, had sustained non-life threatening injuries and was taken to a local hospital.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-01-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

What is the point in that?

There is a law about speeding - ignored.

There is a law about wearing crash helmets on bikes - ignored

There is a law about drink driving - ignored

There is a law about buying alcohol only during certain times - ignored

There is a law about selling cannabis with greater than .2 THC - ignored

There is a law about smoking in buildings - ignored.

There is a law about e cigarettes - ignored.

There is a law about excessive noise from modified bikes - ignored.

The list here is endless.

I quite agree, but as they say 'it's the thought that counts'. I'm just trying to expand the list of unenforced laws. If it gets long enough, then maybe they will 'defund the police'. Besides that anti-social behaviour like driving sound motorcycles at high speeds should not be allowed by society. You can exert your freedom, only to the point that it disturbs other, and loud motorcycles disturb me. 

Edited by retarius
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

I must say that I dislike big bikes intensely. Why can't we have a law banning excessive motorcycle noise. 

Thailand does, but it's largely ignored.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are still waiting for that new big bike license rule to come, for above 400cc I think, but they can still do serious damage using 300 or 350...! 

I have no idea if the new big bike license would be harder to get, but at least will be better than the current bike license, which is a joke if you have ever been in DLT and watch those who pass it ...!!! 😆

18 minutes ago, Agusts said:

We are still waiting for that new big bike license rule to come, for above 400cc I think, but they can still do serious damage using 300 or 350...! 

I have no idea if the new big bike license would be harder to get, but at least will be better than the current bike license, which is a joke if you have ever been in DLT and watch those who pass it ...!!! 😆

I think that plan was scrapped a few years ago already.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:12 AM, retarius said:

I must say that I dislike big bikes intensely. Why can't we have a law banning excessive motorcycle noise. 

Not all big bikes are noisy. Actually many smaller bikes have modified exhaust systems with excessive noise.

Edited by msbkk

On 1/4/2024 at 5:12 AM, retarius said:

Firstly - I'm not so sure thats a 'big bike' (as they are called) - looks like anything from a 150 to 400cc machine... (I could be wrong of course). 

Additionally, engine size does not determine noise - there are very quiet bigger bikes and extremely loud scooters, it depends what's done to them (and how they are ridden).

I agree with you on the noise part, and there are already existing laws about that (which of course are sparsely enforced). 

In our Moobaan - someone has a Triumph Speed Twin... It would be very loud if he ragged it through the moobaan, but the owner doesn't he's clearly very respectful of everyone, its only loud as the delivery pickup trucks that come through.

Western guy had a helmet - probably had a big influence on his lack of severe injuries. 

Thai guy was not wearing a helmet (or so it appeared in the video when zooming) - which likely had a big impact on his demise. 

Edited by richard_smith237

16 hours ago, Agusts said:

All licensing and ergo all vehicular training in Thailand is a joke..    the license is just a card that shows someone has gone though the require training - the issue of course is the absence of any decent training (and of course underlying culture of a lack of respect for safety). 

The size of the bike is somewhat irrelevant in accidents such as this (IMO) anyone on any bike can fail to navigate a corner at 120 kmh on a Honda-click if they ride at such speeds and pretty much any 'small bike' on Thailands roads is capable of that. 

Looking at the link, is that big bike a GPX200, or whatever they're called. 

Looks like he didn't know how to corner and came over the top into the oncoming lane. Not much the Westerner could do about that, but they may find a way to legally blame him yet.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, Tropicalevo said:

What is the point in that?

There is a law about speeding - ignored.

There is a law about wearing crash helmets on bikes - ignored

There is a law about drink driving - ignored

There is a law about buying alcohol only during certain times - ignored

There is a law about selling cannabis with greater than .2 THC - ignored

There is a law about smoking in buildings - ignored.

There is a law about e cigarettes - ignored.

There is a law about excessive noise from modified bikes - ignored.

The list here is endless.

Is there a law about people not wearing a shirt in a shop because that really annoys me.

• Agree 1