Emphysema and Stopping Steroid Inhaler

I was diagnosed with Asthma a year and a half ago, then Emphysema. 

I never trusted the original doctor(private hospital, who told me to keep taking Serotide Inhaler 500/50mcg. I tapered down to 125/25 with no issue. 

I got a second opinion(public hospital) and the doctor confirmed Emphysema and told me that Spiriva 18 mg is better and to take it once every morning, but the pharmacist told me to take it every evening -  does it matter?

The doc said that there will be no withdrawal from the steroid as it is a spray, withdrawal usually only happens when taken orally -  does this sound right?

Seemingly only mild, how many years have I got? He said it can't be cured :( 

Thanks for any info! 

Not good to see/hear mate, I was on 30mgs a day took about 3 months before I was clear but the Doc never happy I was on them, always said I had to be weaned off them.

That was for a skin problem and to be honest it only offered short term relief, never felt I was on any drug at the time, mind you I'm a user of the Green.

Hope you get some relief with your new meds.

After the "sinful" period of covid the only "doctor" I trust is myself.

If I feel well I don't need anyone to suggest a "cure" ......usually of controversial injections :post-4641-1156693976:.......I don't play anyone's "games" with my health. When I will visit Thailand again I will take a PCR check in Europe and I don't want any health insurance because the best health insurance is myself who hasn't been to the dirty hospitals for over 30 years and I haven't taken any medicine even for a headache.:clap2:

Men At Work - Down Under (Lyrics)

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Paris333 said:

After the "sinful" period of covid the only "doctor" I trust is myself.

If I feel well I don't need anyone to suggest a "cure" ......usually of controversial injections :post-4641-1156693976:.......I don't play anyone's "games" with my health. When I will visit Thailand again I will take a PCR check in Europe and I don't want any health insurance because the best health insurance is myself who hasn't been to the dirty hospitals for over 30 years and I haven't taken any medicine even for a headache.:clap2:

Men At Work - Down Under (Lyrics)

Neanderthals didn't use the wheel either they figured that they could walk and it was just fine... you sound exactly like one of them when it come to modern medicine... while I am not a big proponent of western medicine and big pharma I would never rule out something that has the potential to help me live a healthier and more comfortable life... I lived a healthy life and didn't feel the need for health insurance either, but I paid my way because if something did happen unexpectantly I wouldn't be a burden on anyone else... well, something did happen and thank goodness that I had insurance and thank goodness that someone made it their passion in life to work on and discover the particular medicine that helped save my life... 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Spiriva is a bronchodilator only and does not contain a steroid.

Brionchodilators tend to have a stimulant effect hence the doctor's advice to take i nthem orning. Not everyone experiences this, though, so if it does nto affect your sleep then it doesn;'t matter whether you take morning or night, just try to make it around the same tiem every day.

Between Spiriva and Seretide there is really no clear-cut evidence of one being better than the other in mild emphysema.

One thing to be aware of is that Spiriva can soemwhat increase the risk of glaucoma. Get eye pressure checked yearly. (old er people should do that nayway).

"Prognosis

There is no cure for emphysema. But the condition can be controlled.

People with mild emphysema who quit smoking have a normal life expectancy. Those who adopt good health habits can enjoy a fairly normal lifestyle for a long time. Even people whose emphysema is severe have a good chance of surviving for five years or more.

In people with emphysema who continue to smoke, smoking dramatically increases the severity of the illness. It may reduce life span by 10 years or more."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/emphysema-a-to-z

Hi Sheryl, as usual a big thank you. 

I had no idea Spiriva was a stimulant. I will take it earlier as I sometimes have sleep issues. I had thought it might be weaker by night time if I took in the morning and heard somewhere that most people have breathing attacks at night. Actually, I've never had any 'attacks' since starting the Seratide. I am wondering if 18 mcg is too much as it says on Google that this is the largest amount -  not sure if there is a smaller amount. 

I recently bought an eye massager, maybe I should stop this?

Maybe a silly question but .... If spiriva is not a steroid, could I take it every second day or when I felt I needed it?

42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Hi Sheryl, as usual a big thank you. 

I had no idea Spiriva was a stimulant. I will take it earlier as I sometimes have sleep issues. I had thought it might be weaker by night time if I took in the morning and heard somewhere that most people have breathing attacks at night. Actually, I've never had any 'attacks' since starting the Seratide. I am wondering if 18 mcg is too much as it says on Google that this is the largest amount -  not sure if there is a smaller amount. 

I recently bought an eye massager, maybe I should stop this?

Maybe a silly question but .... If spiriva is not a steroid, could I take it every second day or when I felt I needed it?

No, do not take it every other day. It works as a preventive, to prevent problems by keeping the breathing tubes open.

Regarding dosage, it varies with the form of Spiriva.  2.5 mcg is the usual dose for Spiriva Respimat  (2 puffs) whereas 18 mcg (one capsule) is the usual dose for Spiriva HandiHaler which is presumably what you were given.

There is no harm in using an eye massager provided you have no eye disease. It will not cause or make you more susciptible to glaucoma. But do get a proper eye exam including test of intraocular pressure every year as mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:26 PM, Neeranam said:

Seemingly only mild, how many years have I got? He said it can't be cured :( 

Thanks for any info! 

I would not worry too much about that but it does depend on your age a fair bit.

I have chronic bronchitis (COPD), chronic kidney disease, gout and totally deaf in one ear.

None can be cured.

I have had those problems for most of my life - I am in my early 70's and still working. (Breathing is a bit of an issue though)

Just enjoy life.  :thumbsup:

• Love It 1

People sometimes confuse "cannot be cured" with "fatal". Not the same thing.

There are many diseases that are chrionic and cannot be completely cured, but can be controlled or managed. 

• Love It 1

I was prescribed Symbicort by a doctor at Bkk Pattaya hospital and been using it once a day for a couple of years, but sometimes I was doubtful that anything was actually coming out of the inhaler as I could never actually see or taste anything. Anyway, when I got infected with Dengue I felt  so poorly I stopped using it, and to be quite honest if anything, my breathing has improved, no wheezing or whistling. Go figure.

• Like 1