Real Estate Agent recommendations requested (penthouse)

lkn

I am considering selling my penthouse and wondering what agency to go with.

It seems the system in Thailand is that the agent gets 3% so one unit might be listed at many different sites, as the incentive is for the agent to just try to get commission on whatever is for sale in the area — similar to the mall where there will always be a sales person watching you like a hawk, and interjecting themselves into the sale, to get their commission, but I digress…

So my question is: Is there any agency in Chiang Mai that stands out? I guess what this means is having the broadest reach and getting the unit listed on all those aggregation sites.

My unit is in the higher end of the price range (~95K per sq.m.) so I am probably looking for an agent that mainly targets foreigners.

For this, Expat Homes would, based on the name, sound like the obvious choice, but I see they only list two units in Chiang Mai (city), that makes me wonder if they are still active?

I also found Lazudi which have a lot of high-end properties for sale, but it seems to be more of a listing site with agents signing up for different areas, so their focus is probably on having the largest database, but do they actually have the corresponding traffic to their site to make it worth listing with them?

Curious to hear your experience (selling) a condo in Chiang Mai.

And no need to informing me how hard it is to sell real estate in Thailand, that information has already been given to me.

List it with as many agents as possible at whatever price and commission. You are not obliged to sell at any price. You will then learn the level of interest and likely value and cost of selling. Costs you nothing. Then you can make you next, informed, move.

I am in Pattaya but my spouse and I have sold a number of properties, both condos and houses, in Pattaya, Bangkok, and Rayong.  Thailand does not have an MLS (multiple listing service) for real estate.  This is what works for us:

Since there is no MLS, we list with as many agencies as we possibly can, starting with the biggest and the closest to the property we are selling.  Commissions can be negotiated, especially with unique and higher priced properties, but 5% is standard for established agencies with websites.   We always start with 5% because we want agents to show our property, rather than the one next door with a 3% commission.

It's important to list with as many agencies as you can because you don't know which agency a buyer perfect for your property might turn up at. You also don't know which agency realty site a buyer might search.  Exposure with multiple agencies is key.  We've sold properties with both big and small agencies.

We get the email addresses of the agencies and we send an email to the agencies that has both detailed information and good photos.  Some agencies will want to take their own photos for their websites and some in Pattaya will also do videos.  

We are as accommodating as we possibly can be with any agency requests and any property we have on the market for sale has been decluttered, is neat and clean, everything is in working order, and the property can be ready to be shown with 10 minutes advance notice.

There was a recent thread on agencies and it garnered a number of negative comments.  None from us--we value agencies.  We always try to sell our proprties ourselves, and we have sold some, but the majority have been sold by agencies bringing buyers to us. 

You certainly can use things like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, as we also do, but, to date, we have not sold a single property using either--but we still try because, you never know where the buyer will come from.  Good luck with your sale.

Edited by newnative
word left out
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lkn said:

I am considering selling my penthouse and wondering what agency to go with.

It seems the system in Thailand is that the agent gets 3% so one unit might be listed at many different sites, as the incentive is for the agent to just try to get commission on whatever is for sale in the area — similar to the mall where there will always be a sales person watching you like a hawk, and interjecting themselves into the sale, to get their commission, but I digress…

So my question is: Is there any agency in Chiang Mai that stands out? I guess what this means is having the broadest reach and getting the unit listed on all those aggregation sites.

My unit is in the higher end of the price range (~95K per sq.m.) so I am probably looking for an agent that mainly targets foreigners.

For this, Expat Homes would, based on the name, sound like the obvious choice, but I see they only list two units in Chiang Mai (city), that makes me wonder if they are still active?

I also found Lazudi which have a lot of high-end properties for sale, but it seems to be more of a listing site with agents signing up for different areas, so their focus is probably on having the largest database, but do they actually have the corresponding traffic to their site to make it worth listing with them?

Curious to hear your experience (selling) a condo in Chiang Mai.

And no need to informing me how hard it is to sell real estate in Thailand, that information has already been given to me.

Join 20 realestate groups on Facebook, every day post in five of them your property, after the 5 days go to the first five, delete what you posted and enter again. We sold a house and a piece of land this way. Agents that actually have a shop on phuket 5 to 6% com: agents on scooter 3%. Do the FB way no comm: good luck.