Post Paid SIM for Child

Son just had his first phone and I'm looking for a cheap post paid SIM option that provides Data and Calls. 

The phone is for our (Mum & Dad's) convenience...  so he can call us if he's running late from an ECA or we can contact him if we are late to pick him up. 

Its also to familiarise himself with the process of 'looking after his phone, charging it and being responsible for it etc'... 

(I know kids with a phone may rub against the grain for some, but this is the modern world and there are advantages as well as disadvantages that we've evaluated as parents).

Thus: 

True offer a 299baht (+tax) for 10 GB's and 100mins.....   But he really doesn't need 10 GB's per month (as he's either with us and can hotspot or at home on Wifi)

This is really just for when he's on his own (and can turn on his phone at the end of the school day etc as his responsibility grows). 

I'm also cheap and don't want to be paying 4000 baht a month for connectivity we don't need. 

Thus: Are there any 'Cheap Post Paid SIM options, with calls... (about 2 GB a month) ???

True, AIS, DTAC ???

There online offerings all seem to be the 10 GB min, but I recall a few other threads suggesting that the online offerings are usually not the cheapest etc.

I've searched other threads, but most of them are for 12 month, pre-paid data only options etc... (we prefer to have the option with call minutes for emergencies etc).

Thanks in advance for any info & guidance. 

You might want to look at a 1 year pre-paid sim card. Most companies sell them for something like 1,900-2,000 baht paid in advance for the year. It depends which sim you choose, but some will offer a set amount of data per month, while others (such as True) offer an unlimited data plan for the year (slightly more expensive). Some also offer free calls within the same network.

Unlimited data is attractive - not because he needs unlimited, but because you won't get any surprises and also because there is no chance of him being out of data when he needs to contact you.

In terms of making calls most people use Line app to call nowadays anyway, making the actual telephone a bit prehistoric.

You can get these sim cards from Lazada or Shoppee.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Son just had his first phone and I'm looking for a cheap post paid SIM option that provides Data and Calls. 

The phone is for our (Mum & Dad's) convenience...  so he can call us if he's running late from an ECA or we can contact him if we are late to pick him up. 

Its also to familiarise himself with the process of 'looking after his phone, charging it and being responsible for it etc'... 

(I know kids with a phone may rub against the grain for some, but this is the modern world and there are advantages as well as disadvantages that we've evaluated as parents).

Thus: 

True offer a 299baht (+tax) for 10 GB's and 100mins.....   But he really doesn't need 10 GB's per month (as he's either with us and can hotspot or at home on Wifi)

This is really just for when he's on his own (and can turn on his phone at the end of the school day etc as his responsibility grows). 

I'm also cheap and don't want to be paying 4000 baht a month for connectivity we don't need. 

Thus: Are there any 'Cheap Post Paid SIM options, with calls... (about 2 GB a month) ???

True, AIS, DTAC ???

There online offerings all seem to be the 10 GB min, but I recall a few other threads suggesting that the online offerings are usually not the cheapest etc.

I've searched other threads, but most of them are for 12 month, pre-paid data only options etc... (we prefer to have the option with call minutes for emergencies etc).

Thanks in advance for any info & guidance. 

As alluded to above, you can obtain a Prepaid SIM package that runs for 12 months. No need for PostPaid unless there is a specific reason why you want it. 

Here an example: https://www.wpnmobile.com/dtac100gb-number from which you can choose from the range of numbers they have in stock. 

For 2000 baht, you get a monthly allowance of 100GB and an unlimited amount of fifteen minute calls to any network. That will ensure that he can always call you, as long as there is a signal. You can also enable WiFi Calling just in case. 

A little more expensive via their Lazada outlet: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100gb-maxspeed-100gb-dtac-4g5g-wpn-mobile-i2550333690-s9071601202.html

Alternatively: https://shopee.co.th/product/33507304/17663505378

• Thanks 1

Thanks both blackcab and NextG for the advice. 

It certainly appears that the WPN 12 month DTAC SIM is the most viable option. 

There's no specific need for the monthly post paid option, other than I thought it was simpler to handle - this will likely be my Son's number for many years (but its not a show stopper if this is not an option for the first year at least).

I'm wondering how the WPB 12 month DTAC SIM rolls over after a year - is it renewable each year, or is a new SIM purchase required ? (I couldn't find that info on the WPN page).

The reason for wanting the 'cell call option' is safety / security...    Although its most likely he'll be using FaceTime / WhatsApp / Line to call and message us etc...   There is an 'emergency call' function on the iPhone where someone can call the emergency contact (my Wife) without having to unlock the phone etc - so I consider this a good option (although most likely never used as most people here are unfamiliar with such options - but if I found a lost or hurt kid with a phone, this would be my go to option to contact his emergency contacts... another option of course is to list emergency contacts on a sticker on the back of the phone...   over thinking it perhaps, but why not consider these options is my thought on this).

(separate note: it often amazes me how well priced mobile data is in Thailand - 165 Baht per month for 100 GB is a great deal).

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thanks both blackcab and NextG for the advice. 

It certainly appears that the WPN 12 month DTAC SIM is the most viable option. 

There's no specific need for the monthly post paid option, other than I thought it was simpler to handle - this will likely be my Son's number for many years (but its not a show stopper if this is not an option for the first year at least).

I'm wondering how the WPB 12 month DTAC SIM rolls over after a year - is it renewable each year, or is a new SIM purchase required ? (I couldn't find that info on the WPN page).

The reason for wanting the 'cell call option' is safety / security...    Although its most likely he'll be using FaceTime / WhatsApp / Line to call and message us etc...   There is an 'emergency call' function on the iPhone where someone can call the emergency contact (my Wife) without having to unlock the phone etc - so I consider this a good option (although most likely never used as most people here are unfamiliar with such options - but if I found a lost or hurt kid with a phone, this would be my go to option to contact his emergency contacts... another option of course is to list emergency contacts on a sticker on the back of the phone...   over thinking it perhaps, but why not consider these options is my thought on this).

(separate note: it often amazes me how well priced mobile data is in Thailand - 165 Baht per month for 100 GB is a great deal).

They might or might not renew it or perhaps offer something similar. Either way, likely there will be some kind of ‘ballpark’ plan available when the time comes to renew. There will also be the option to port the number in order to take advantage of any ‘new SIM’ deals. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

They might or might not renew it or perhaps offer something similar. Either way, likely there will be some kind of ‘ballpark’ plan available when the time comes to renew. There will also be the option to port the number in order to take advantage of any ‘new SIM’ deals. 

Done....  the DTAC 12 Month SIM was purchased directly from a DTAC shop for 1790 baht... 

The service is renewable each year.

Its a very good deal. 

I get my Phone usage (TrueMove package) with the Internet and True TV (base package)... But, the Wife Pays about 900 baht per-month for less Data - I'm going to see if she can 'port' her number across to one of these packages as it seems better and is cheaper. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Done....  the DTAC 12 Month SIM was purchased directly from a DTAC shop for 1790 baht... 

Its a very good deal. 

I get my Phone usage (TrueMove package) with the Internet and True TV (base package)... But, the Wife Pays about 900 baht per-month for less Data - I'm going to see if she can 'port' her number across to one of these packages as it seems better and is cheaper. 

Are you sure that it is the same SIM? I don’t think it is. 
For 1790 baht it’s the 100GB @ 15Mbps with just 60 minutes of any network calls. 
https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

That is NOT the one to which I referred. 
It’s REALLY difficult to get people to follow simple instructions here 😊
How did you manage to mess that up? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by NextG

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a very good deal. 

You can port her number to another network SIM. So if on Truemove H, she can port to a 50 baht DTAC SIM and THEN utilise a special short code to apply the 1790 baht pack of 100GB @ 15 Mbps. You cannot port the number to a SIM pack that already has a number attached, so she cannot apply for the MAX SPEED 100GB SIM(which was the one you were supposed to buy). 
If he doesn’t make voice calls, then it’s possible the 60 minute allowance will be intact in a tight spot anyway. But of course it would have been better to have the unlimited any network calls. 

Edited by NextG

18 minutes ago, NextG said:

Are you sure that it is the same SIM? I don’t think it is. 
For 1790 baht it’s the 100GB @ 15Mbps with just 60 minutes of any network calls. 
https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

That is NOT the one to which I referred. 
It’s REALLY difficult to get people to follow simple instructions here 😊
How did you manage to mess that up? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wife sorted it out, your info was helpful with the 12 month options. 

The DTAC 100 GB per month (at 15mbps) for 12 months is way more than required, it includes calls (free without limit to DTAC - 60mins per month to other networks) this is all way more than is needed and my Son is already set up.

12 minutes ago, NextG said:

You can port her number to another network SIM. So if on Truemove H, she can port to a 50 baht DTAC SIM and THEN utilise a special short code to apply the 1790 baht pack of 100GB @ 15 Mbps. You cannot port the number to a SIM pack that already has a number attached, so she cannot apply for the MAX SPEED 100GB SIM(which was the one you were supposed to buy). 

Wife asked DTAC if she could switch to the yearly account - the answer was no, she's had her number for over 20 years so wants to keep that, we're currently locked into contract with a new phone which was purchased at a very good discount with her 'DTAC tier membership'.

Once the contract is paid off - we'll look at porting to a 50 Baht DTAC SIM and applying the 1790 baht yearly deal.

Bigger picture... its all a lot less than $100's I've spent on Data SIMS in the Middle East and Europe over the past 6 months.

12 minutes ago, NextG said:

If he doesn’t make voice calls, then it’s possible the 60 minute allowance will be intact in a tight spot anyway. But of course it would have been better to have the unlimited any network calls. 

Its unlikely he'll use any 'voice minutes' at all, as blackcab mentioned WhatsApp and Line are used mostly these days, messaging will likely be the primary form of contact. That said, the voice minutes are good for an emergency and 60 mins per month is more than enough (and much more than both my Wife and I use in a year).

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I think my kid's AIS post-paid sim piggybacks on my wife's post-paid contact. I think it's less than B200 a month. 

I was thinking of something similar - we just wanted something cheap that we'll not forget to pay each month (hence wanting post paid which will deduct automatically).

The 12 year option ticks the boxes (at 150 baht per month) - I'm sure our son will remind us to renew the subscription when his data stops working next year  !!...  I just didn't want that to happen every month with pre-paid monthly option. 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wife sorted it out, your info was helpful with the 12 month options. 

The DTAC 100 GB per month (at 15mbps) for 12 months is way more than required, it includes calls (free without limit to DTAC - 60mins per month to other networks) this is all way more than is needed and my Son is already set up.

Wife asked DTAC if she could switch to the yearly account - the answer was no, she's had her number for over 20 years so wants to keep that, we're currently locked into contract with a new phone which was purchased at a very good discount with her 'DTAC tier membership'.

Once the contract is paid off - we'll look at porting to a 50 Baht DTAC SIM and applying the 1790 baht yearly deal.

Bigger picture... its all a lot less than $100's I've spent on Data SIMS in the Middle East and Europe over the past 6 months.

Its unlikely he'll use any 'voice minutes' at all, as blackcab mentioned WhatsApp and Line are used mostly these days, messaging will likely be the primary form of contact. That said, the voice minutes are good for an emergency and 60 mins per month is more than enough (and much more than both my Wife and I use in a year).

As long as it covers what it necessary. 
It’s not for sure that the same pack will be available when your contract ends. Porting is to another network. Yours will be a conversion from Postpaid to Prepaid. 
Ask here again closer to the contract’s ending. 

• Thumbs Up 1