Retirement Extension - How Far in Advance?

I’m going soon for my annual retirement extension of stay (based on non-OA visa).  I‘ll be doing it in Koh Samui.  My recollection is you can apply as much as 30 days before expiry.   Any recent experience on that?  Can I go even a little earlier?   

OP, think you have asked this previously

https://aseannow.com/topic/1102143-an-idiots-guide-to-the-retirement-extension-process-at-samui-immigration-office/?do=findComment&comment=17396668 

In any event Samui is up to 30 days early.

Note that Samui is bit strange and you may be told to come back closer to your until date.

Regards obtaining more than 30 days early this maybe possible.

Helps if you have eg a flight ticket and "story" of why you need the extension early. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1102143-an-idiots-guide-to-the-retirement-extension-process-at-samui-immigration-office/?do=findComment&comment=17396668 

Note that Samui is bit strange and you may be told to come back closer to your until date.

Regards obtaining more than 30 days early this possible.

Helps if you have eg a flight ticket and "story" of why you need the extension early. 

Thanks, I did ask in that other thread but hadn't got any answers and needed them kind of urgently so thought I'd open it up :)    

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Regards obtaining more than 30 days early this maybe possible.

When I used to do it in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana) some years ago, it seemed you could do it as early as 45 days ahead of expiry.  Not sure if that's still the case.  I know each office has its own variations.  This year in Samui 30 days would work for me but it would cause difficulty if much less than that.

1 minute ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

When I used to do it in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana) some years ago, it seemed you could do it as early as 45 days ahead of expiry.  Not sure if that's still the case.  I know each office has its own variations.  This year in Samui 30 days would work for me but it would cause difficulty if much less than that.

Some of the bigger immigration offices are 45 days.

CW, CM and others.

The vast majority are 30 days in advance.

So if 30 works for you at Samui then all good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some of the bigger immigration offices are 45 days.

CW, CM and others.

The vast majority are 30 days in advance.

So if 30 works for you at Samui then all good. 

Thanks.  Small point, maybe splitting hairs but any idea if they count both the start and end days?  Like if your expiry date was the 30th and you went on the 1st we’d usually say that was 29 days ahead but I guess it’s possible they’d say it’s 30? (And I assume we’re talking calendar, not business days here).  

I usually do it 45 days beforehand at CW, but this year as I'm heading off on travel quite some time before that 45 day window opens, therefore I wonder (hoping) if they will still issue a one year extension, but from the date of applying, effectively reducing my current extension by three months and thereby changing my renewal date going forward.

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

Samui are very difficult......Unless you have a good excuse or a flight ticket they usually only allow you to register/renew 2 weeks before the due date!

Wow that's pretty crazy.  I think last year in Samui I did it at least 3 weeks ahead, no problem.   Do you know anyone who’s been turned away in the past year for going more than 2 weeks ahead?

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Wow that's pretty crazy.  I think last year in Samui I did it at least 3 weeks ahead, no problem.   Do you know anyone who’s been turned away in the past year for going more than 2 weeks ahead?

Just checked my records, I actually went last year January 16 ahead of a February 12 expiry date so that's 27 calendar days (or 28 if they're counting the first and last dates as they sometimes do for other purposes).  They accepted it without any issue.  Maybe I was lucky.... ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

No I don't know how long in advance Samui IO will let you do it now, but I had many problems with them in the past.

It started many years ago when Mr. Nok left and the plump one took over the Retirement Extensions.

You can try early and maybe share your experience after?

• Thanks 1