Quitting BOI job

Hey there, I would like to know what documents are required to quit a boi job? Is the receipt or letter from the system enough to cancel my work permit and visa? Or do I need a letter of resignation? 

I want to make sure that I'm not asked to sign any more than absolutely necessary to quit the job. A few shady things happening with this company lately.

7 hours ago, 2rist said:

Hey there, I would like to know what documents are required to quit a boi job? Is the receipt or letter from the system enough to cancel my work permit and visa? Or do I need a letter of resignation? 

I want to make sure that I'm not asked to sign any more than absolutely necessary to quit the job. A few shady things happening with this company lately.

More detail needed.

OP, what are your Thailand plans after you resign?  Are you planning to stay in Thailand, or leave immediately? 

If you do plan to stay in (or return to) Thailand, what visa will you qualify for?

Quitting the job has implications far beyond just not working there any more.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, 2rist said:

If you're currently listed as a director, then send a recorded delivery (preferably signed for) letter, dated with date of writing & sending and clearly stating your resignation date, addressed to and sent to the board of directors at the official registered office address, this should suffice as far as the cessation of your dates of responsibility in that director role.

Consider before you write that letter to write yourself a letter (if authorised) under that company heading, giving a reason why you need to leave, (perhaps unsuitable changes in current market/financial situation) and that's the one to produce at One stop when handing back work permit and or at Immigration when looking for another visa.

But please consider seeking legal advice, as good legal advice is worth it's weight in gold.

Just a normal worker, not a director.

But the nature of my job has me having to support one of the two directors. Unfortunately, the powerless one who is actually managing the company.

The other director feels that the work I do might hinder him from doing grey area stuff. Unfortunately, if I support him, they could always come back and try to blame me for that grey area stuff.

Edited by 2rist

I plan to leave immediately, maybe within the two weeks granted?

Then come back as a tourist and either look for another job, or other visas. I am married to a Thai although not using the marriage visa option yet. I'd rather just get another job.

What other implications would I have? This could be important.

My 2c. Go the marriage visa route. That keeps your visa and work permit separate. As for resignation just do the same as you would in any other job/country.

Do you get paid weekly or monthly? If you give one month's notice you have a month to look for another job. Or stick it out while looking.

Edited by VocalNeal

40 minutes ago, 2rist said:

What other implications would I have? This could be important.

I think you already understand the most important implication, that your permission to stay in Thailand is tied to your WP, and ends when the WP ends.  You're going to have to make other visa arrangements. Looks like you're already planning that.

In my case, my departure was amicable, I was entitled to many months of severance pay, and my employer didn't actually cancel my WP.  They just let it run out its time. 

So someone else is going to have to chime in here with details like whether you get an automatic grace period or whether you have to go immediately and get a 1900 baht extension (that's my recollection).  And whether you can change your visa type without leaving the country (and if so, how). 

All I remember is that guys got bit when they did it wrong...

• 1 month later...