IO home visits

Had one of these about 9 years ago when I first came here, living in a village. Pleasant enough experience, no dramas. Just sat on the front verandah, took a few selfies, asked a few questions and left. Since moved to new address in a larger city area last 8 years and never heard from anyone. Mate had a random visit the other day, no call first or anything. Just wondering what is the normal protocol? Can they just walk in your home and do a walk around or just come and ask a few questions at the door?

I imagine they can do what the hell they want.....never had one as we are a three hour round trip from the IO......but did have to take three sets of neighbour's to the IO once and they were all interviewed...... that was after we had been married for 12 years......????

• Agree 1

Just now, Crossy said:

Never had a random visit, but our office wants a home visit every year for a marriage extension.

They've never come into the actual living area and even declined to visit our lounge when invited (they asked where one of our photos was taken).

Biggest hassle is them turning up in their (very) marked BMW and the whole village wanting to know why I've been arrested!

HAHAHAHAHA, had exactly the same experience in my village. And the wise old knowledgeable soothsayers (gossips) will be telling everyone they knew all along "how you can Farang live every day and not go work? I knew he was up to no good" (They have no concept of life savings, investment, planning etc). And the same ones that grab all the locals to go out in the street and bash pots and pans to make a racket when there is a solar eclipse, because the frog god has come to eat the moon and must be scared away. In any case the village I lived in their were people being dragged away by the BIB all the time, I doubt anyone would have noticed. You gotta love em :-)

They can enter if they want to in order to establish if the photos you submitted were actually taken inside that premises.  Thinking about it and of all the Expat stories over the years on this forum, why the hell does this 'extension' khrapp continue. And now there is the chance Expats may have to pay income taxes on money that was earned/accumulated and is held in another country. Will Thailand ever become a modern society that treats long term Expats fairly and decently, like they themselves are treated when they migrate to a first world country? Not in my lifetime I figure. 

• Confused 1

I changed to an O visa ( from an OA ) recently and had a home visit for first extension ( based on retirement ) then had a random home visit 6 months later and finally another home visit for my second extension ( again based on retirement ).

3 in a year !!, never knew I was so popular ☹️

• Haha 1