Automated gates at airport for people needing reentry permits

The system has been around for a month or two now but I've not seen any feedback. A lot of people here must have used the automated passport control gates for leaving Thailand.

The concern is for people requiring reentry permits and other complex visa issues. Clearly a tourist on a simple visa will exit without issue.

But what happens with those of us on visa extensions, needing reentry permits? Can the automated gates be used or must we still go to the manned immigration desks? What procedure has been set up?

And also, can the automated gates be used for arrival when possessing a reentry permit?

Edited by Gaccha
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This recent thread may help (or maybe not)

Interesting read.

The failure of the issue to be resolved in that topic thread, with absolutely no one having any experience of the issue, I think this thread should be very handy.

I'm wondering why should "leaving" Thailand have anything to do with re-entry permits? Those are only relevant when you "enter" Thailand.

You don't need a re-entry permit to leave, though you might regret that if it wasn't your intention to invalidate your current extension of stay ;) Do Officers at Exit check it as a courtesy?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, al valio said:

I'm wondering why should "leaving" Thailand have anything to do with re-entry permits? Those are only relevant when you "enter" Thailand.

You don't need a re-entry permit to leave, though you might regret that if it wasn't your intention to invalidate your current extension of stay ;) Do Officers at Exit check it as a courtesy?

Some officers, on exit, will advise you that you might need a re-entry permit. However, this cannot be relied upon.

• Thumbs Up 1