Dream Box Busted

whopper

I just saw a report on Thai news about the police shutting down a satellite tv equipment dealer who was also selling programming. My Thai isn't that great, but that I believe is the report on thai tv channel 11. If anyone has anything to add, I am interested. I have been considering a Dreambox over True Visions/ubc, but now I am concerned about buying a system that may become the target of the authorities.

They have been busting the codeshare rings for a while.. A large BKK codeshare server was taken down a few months back.. Same people back again..

Users are extremely unlikely to be prosecuted (perhaps bar would be worse) but the unreliable net, codeshare servers being down, etc.. well I value my time at more than the UBC saving..

However to have multiple dreamboxes around your home / villa and codeshare a single legit UBC card yourself to have a multipoint system.. I wish I had done that instead of using UBC's extra box system.

• 6 months later...

Thai authorities don't like "UBC sharing servers "but foreign ones.....till now no problem

Same as music in bars.Owners pay huge fees to play thai songs but foreign songs.....

Have 2 dishes for Astro and DSTV and a Dreambox.Works perfect

Astro channels are basically the same as UBC exept not thai channels and no TV5 asia.But have TV5 africa on DSTV

For details PM me .Don't want the thread will be closed

However to have multiple dreamboxes around your home / villa and codeshare a single legit UBC card yourself to have a multipoint system.. I wish I had done that instead of using UBC's extra box system.

I have a similar system, several UBC boxes of various ilks, one legit card and a wireless card-splitter. Works pretty well although in future (new house) I'll probably go for multiple Dreamboxes and a single card.

Whilst I have no fear of getting caught out, is this arrangement actually legal/quasi-legal in Thailand?

Whilst I have no fear of getting caught out, is this arrangement actually legal/quasi-legal in Thailand?

This is indeed illegal due to the agreements UBC has with the programming providers.

Then again, showing UBC with a regular subscriber card in a public place is illegal as well!

It definitely is a breach of the contract they have with you, they don't like it so sooner or later they will start mating cards with boxes, resulting in your little card sharing set-up to be out of order.

Its a minor breach of the TOS.. However your paying for the UBC subscription and as the same thing could be legally done with cables and cable splitters (single channel not multiples) I cannot see a home user being busted.

My actual desires are even more complex.. Dreambox running a cardserver of my own paid for UBC sub.. Feeding the MPEG data stream into vista media center or using a 2nd dreambox just for the HTPC or using a PC sat card, a collection of ProgDVB plug ins and the dreambox server !! Then feeding the signal out throughout the house using xbox360's or the newer v2 media center extenders.

This would not only give me a multi source system for any of the TV's, home theater, bedrooms.. but it would do the whole thing with the media center interface for live TV (with PVR functions and pause etc), music (with album art) and ripped DVD's.. Very slick !!

• 1 year later...
Thai authorities don't like "UBC sharing servers "but foreign ones.....till now no problem

Same as music in bars.Owners pay huge fees to play thai songs but foreign songs.....

Have 2 dishes for Astro and DSTV and a Dreambox.Works perfect

Astro channels are basically the same as UBC exept not thai channels and no TV5 asia.But have TV5 africa on DSTV

For details PM me .Don't want the thread will be closed

Are there forums or websites where I can find Dream installers. My original installer has gone AWOL.

Over the last couple of years its become very common.. Here ALL the local sat installers try to pimp cardshare now but very few are actually understanding of what they are selling (they dont set up they just plug in the box).

Where are you located ??

• 2 months later...

Since cardsharing is illegal (even in your own home) we can't discuss it here on the forum.

However, Google is your friend, try "Irdeto card splitter thailand", also most satellite shops will sell the hardware :)

Be aware that True are starting to issue cards that pair with a particular receiver, so these won't work with sharing systems.

Are there any software programs (plugins) that can be run with a vision plus card and prog dvb?

These eliminate the need for cards and boxes. The card is actually turned into software, and the decoder is in the same folder.

No that is not the way it works at all.

You need some sort of phoenix card reader attached to your PC with the original card plugged into it, and any irdeto cam (there are quite a few you can use in progdvb) to read the original card into progdvb and the likes.

No free lunch sorry.

if one has a pal in America that knows how to stream his satellite signal through his computer using VLC, then --if one has fast internet-- one can receive the signal with VLC. This is called card sharing. It works well.

Why can not the card be reverse engineered and reduced to software? It is all the rage with Nagra Vision in America?

Oh dear, no not at all.

VLC is the world largest media player for most operating systems (and is open source to boot) and can be seen here on their home page http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and I see they have about downloads per second right now.

Now if you stream video via the WAN/Net it has to be transcoded in VLC from the source video to a slower speed and most likely mp4.

This has nothing to do with card sharing, this has nothing to do with your PCI card, other than with progdvb you can stream the TV or Radio channel to your local VLC app, or across your LAN.

I hope we are all on the same page now.

Also VLC has nothing to do with nag3 and Dish :) Oh I love these stories. Listen to us sometime on the FTA Show (a 4 hour weekly radio show on Galaxy Satellite there in the US, and across the net, shoutcast, miro, itunes etc ) and you will learn allot more besides.

They have this thing called nagravision 3 now, the rage is long gone.

He is guessing about IPK and what we call here CS - but he omits to mention all the law suits of late which Nagstar have initiated, and even the set top box makers going to court and put out of business.

if one has a pal in America that knows how to stream his satellite signal through his computer using VLC, then --if one has fast internet-- one can receive the signal with VLC. This is called card sharing. It works well.

Why can not the card be reverse engineered and reduced to software? It is all the rage with Nagra Vision in America?

That is NOT cardsharing.. Thats video streaming..

Cardsharing is sharing the encryption decode keys of one legit smartcard to many users, often over the internet.

Also, plugins folder, softcam, mytheatre, etc, etc.

Perhaps there are some disgruntled "Decoder Box" people who view the software option as a threat, or do not understand how to set it up.

I think you might be surprised who on this forum wrote/writes plugins for things like myTheatre, dvbdream, aldvb, progdvb ...