entering on a visa exempt while holding a Non-O

Am I allowed to do this?

Apply for single entry Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa and get granted a single-entry Non-O visa from Canberra Embassy

Enter Thailand Suvarnabhumi Airport on a visa exempt , stay 5 days,

Exit Thailand Don Muang to visit Cambodia, stay 5 days.

Enter Thailand Don Muang on Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa

Exit Thailand Suvarnabhumi Airport within 60 days

Or If I am granted a Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa , must I use this on the first entry to Thailand and I cannot use visa exempt. And in this case I must apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Multiple Entry Visa ?

Or can I apply for Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa and get a re-entry permit at Don Muang when travelling to Cambodia?

There a is a big difference in cost for Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa and Non-Immigrant “O” Multiple Entry Visa and I am trying to minimise my costs.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How long do you want to stay in Thailand. 

Also are you aware that non O from Canberra embassy requires insurance. 

a few days on the first time, 30-60 days when returning from Cambodia,

isn't it the retirement AO visa the requires insurance, I am married to a Thai and applying for the Non O

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How long do you want to stay in Thailand. 

Also are you aware that non O from Canberra embassy requires insurance. 

The Aussie issued non-O (Retirement) requires 90 day health insurance, however the non-O (Marriage) does not. Go figure?

OP why wouldn't you just enter on non-O to get 90 days and then pay 1000 baht for a re-entry permit (which you can get at the airport or local immigration)

Edited by Pattaya57

20 minutes ago, flipper2222222 said:

a few days on the first time, 30-60 days when returning from Cambodia

You need to provide more details of your entire trip to Asia. 

From what you so far have outlined you would not even require a visa.

Enter Thailand visa exempt.

Few days later visit Cambodia.

Back to Thailand enter visa exempt.

Obtain extension (30 days) to your exempt entry.

Not suggesting that is best formula.

Just showing that without complete itinerary hard to give best advice. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, flipper2222222 said:

Am I allowed to do this?

Apply for single entry Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa and get granted a single-entry Non-O visa from Canberra Embassy

Enter Thailand Suvarnabhumi Airport on a visa exempt , stay 5 days,

Exit Thailand Don Muang to visit Cambodia, stay 5 days.

Enter Thailand Don Muang on Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa

Exit Thailand Suvarnabhumi Airport within 60 days

Or If I am granted a Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa , must I use this on the first entry to Thailand and I cannot use visa exempt. And in this case I must apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Multiple Entry Visa ?

Or can I apply for Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa and get a re-entry permit at Don Muang when travelling to Cambodia?

There a is a big difference in cost for Non-Immigrant “O” Single Entry Visa and Non-Immigrant “O” Multiple Entry Visa and I am trying to minimise my costs.

Thank you

I was only just able to persuade an IO to stamp me in Visa exempt when I had an existing Tourist visa. It took a lot of talking to the officer and I think it was only allowed as I was staying for less than a day before my confirmed and ticked flight out of Thailand. It was emphasised that this was very unusual and I should never expect this to be allowed again.

So in short I think your chances are virtually zero that your plan will be allowed. 

you will have to enter with the Non-O get a reentry permit for your second entry from Cambodia and if needed get an extension to allow your time from your second entry.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

thanks all, I think the non-o  and the re-entry visa is the cheapest way, 

I plan to get a Thai bank account (and yellow house book - if I need it) while I am there , that is the main reason for getting the Non-O on this trip. tried to get a bank account on a tourist visa last trip with over 30 days remaining but none of the major banks were interested without a non-immi visa, some wanted the yellow book too. 

27 minutes ago, flipper2222222 said:

thanks all, I think the non-o  and the re-entry visa is the cheapest way, 

I plan to get a Thai bank account (and yellow house book - if I need it) while I am there , that is the main reason for getting the Non-O on this trip. tried to get a bank account on a tourist visa last trip with over 30 days remaining but none of the major banks were interested without a non-immi visa, some wanted the yellow book too. 

If you tell us where the banks and brnaches that refused your application and what Amphur the yellow book application will be filed, members with experience may be able to tell you a better bank branch option or if the Amphur will even issue the yellow book. Some are easy, others bugger you about, while a fair few will say it's impossible.

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you tell us where the banks and brnaches that refused your application and what Amphur the yellow book application will be filed, members with experience may be able to tell you a better bank branch option or if the Amphur will even issue the yellow book. Some are easy, others bugger you about, while a fair few will say it's impossible.

thank you; I tried in Hua Hin at Blueport Mall, Kasikorn, Siam Commercial, Bangkok Bank, , Kasikorn didnt ask for a yellow book, Siam did, Bangkok Bank I don't recall if they did or not (mostly they spoke in Thai with my wife) the house is in Bor Fai , not sure which office will be issuing the yellow book.

any helpful suggestions is appreciated. 

39 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

If you've got a visa on file the IO will insist it is used on your first entry. You cannot pick and choose 

That would apply to a multi-entry visa that's already been presented.

AFAIK, the MFA doesn't notify the RTP when they issue a visa and there's no reference in the RTP database if it hasn't been presented yet. The IO scans the passport first, and all previous activity linked to the passport holder's biometrics will be displayed. Then they start flicking pages. My experience is that some IO's will ask at this point if I have a visa, probably to speed things up (you are doing their job of scrutiny for them). That's maybe because my history shows a mixture of entries as visa-exempt, on a visa or on marriage/retirement extensions. There habe been several posts, including on this thread,  where people have either managed to get a visa-exempt entry while holding an unused visa in the same passport due to the IO not checking properly, while a few others have tried (with varying degrees of success) to get the IO to ignore the visa and stamp them in on the visa-exempt allowance.

My understanding, based on my experience and what I was told by an irritable and irritated Immigration 'boss' at BKK, is that if one has a visa in any travel document, that is the only travel document and only entry entitlement that can be presented for entry to Thailand.

Good luck to the OP on getting the less observant IO if he tries to get a visa-exempt stamp. Make sure it's a bloke, as the ladies tend to have eagle eyes.

1 hour ago, flipper2222222 said:

not sure which office will be issuing the yellow book.

Any local Amphoe should be able to issue a Yellow Tabien Baan, but some are less experienced than others.
The Provincial Amphoe should be familiar with the procedure.

You should first check the exact requirements with your local Amphoe office as requirements can vary throughout Provinces within Thailand.

Most Amphoes at minimum will request an Embassy certified copy of your Passport, translated into Thai, then legalised by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
(Easier to do this when you land in Bangkok) You may need to pre-book appointments in advance,

Passport photo for the application form.

Wife Tabien Baan.
Wife ID card.

Certain Amphoes have also been known to request an Embassy certified copy of your birth certificate, which may also need translating and legalising by the MFA.

Edited by Liquorice

4 hours ago, flipper2222222 said:

thank you; I tried in Hua Hin at Blueport Mall, Kasikorn, Siam Commercial, Bangkok Bank, , Kasikorn didnt ask for a yellow book, Siam did, Bangkok Bank I don't recall if they did or not (mostly they spoke in Thai with my wife) the house is in Bor Fai , not sure which office will be issuing the yellow book.

Maybe start a Hua Hin bank account and yellow book specific post in the Hua Hin Cha-am sub-forum? That could get some valid responses from those that have "been there, done that" and managed to get both. That should save on wasted time and frustration when you get here.