1 year multi non-o based on marriage, Savannakhet , Jan 2024 report

Thanks for this.

I told the immigration officer what happened to me last time I went to get a ME non O based on marriage, and they were all shocked that I had to show 400k. They seemed to think this was completely wrong and insinuated that it might be due to wanting a contribution towards the tea tin.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kevthailand said:

Next time I would go to the embassy at 10.30 (they close at 11.00). There were NO people in the queue at this time. 

That's what I do when I have to visit my Homo Sapiens Maintenance and Repair Centre to see my drug dealer every few months. If you go early the place is packed, with some even getting there long before dawn to get a queue number. I go after lunch when it's almost empty.

So you say you paid $51.75 for the Evisa because you didn’t want to pay 1800 baht. 

Am I just doing my math wrong. I don’t get it. Seems about the same to me. Def not worth worrying about. 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

He put that he had to season the 400k for 2 months. Need to edit that I do not think that is correct. The money does not need to be seasoned as far as I can surmise. 

Agreed, there shouldn't be any seasoning or bank location requirements in respect of visa applications.

There is a tendency for some to see local embassies/consulates as immigration rather than MFA.

In 2018 it was the target of the MFA to have the Thai e-visa system rolled out to all embassies/consulates within 3 years. I often wonder what happened to the normal practice of ridiculing the government for not meeting targets.

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

So you say you paid $51.75 for the Evisa because you didn’t want to pay 1800 baht. 

Am I just doing my math wrong. I don’t get it. Seems about the same to me. Def not worth worrying about. 

I'd rather pay the 1800 baht for getting the benefit of an evisa, than directly tip the corrupt border officials. 

As for the seasoning, I have no idea if the 2 months applies to non-o multis based on marriage. This was my first non-o so I followed the combined advice of recent reports on this site and the consulate's own reviews. Ignore the scaremongering stories of 7 hour queues on Mondays or turning away lots of people, if the queue is too big. Can't see how 7 hours is even possible if the morning shift is 9.00 to 11.00 (possibly 08.30 in the past). Maybe they lock the front gate at 11.00 and keep processing applicants until they are done? They could then open another window for the afternoon 'pick up passport' folk. 

The main point is, this place probably isn't popular any more. When I returned just before 3pm to pick up the passport the whole place was deserted - no shops open, tuk tuks or Laos staff at the gate and all the officers windows were shut. I thought they'd closed early. 

40 minutes ago, kevthailand said:

I'd rather pay the 1800 baht for getting the benefit of an evisa, than directly tip the corrupt border officials. 

As for the seasoning, I have no idea if the 2 months applies to non-o multis based on marriage. This was my first non-o so I followed the combined advice of recent reports on this site and the consulate's own reviews. Ignore the scaremongering stories of 7 hour queues on Mondays or turning away lots of people, if the queue is too big. Can't see how 7 hours is even possible if the morning shift is 9.00 to 11.00 (possibly 08.30 in the past). Maybe they lock the front gate at 11.00 and keep processing applicants until they are done? They could then open another window for the afternoon 'pick up passport' folk. 

The main point is, this place probably isn't popular any more. When I returned just before 3pm to pick up the passport the whole place was deserted - no shops open, tuk tuks or Laos staff at the gate and all the officers windows were shut. I thought they'd closed early. 

You can pay for it in dollars, right? $35 as you mention. I’m almost sure you can but just double checking. Was there are reason you didn’t do that. I suppose you wanted to not partake in the scams but you’d just have to pick up some dollars if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I read in a few travel reports that the fee was demanded in Thai Baht, 1800. The fact that there was no official prices poster at the visa office, backs that up. It is possible those travel reports were by inexperienced travellers who didn't resist and refuse to pay in Baht. I had dollars, but just decided to go the evisa way. Poipet officials do a similar thing - but I can say a few Cambodian words and always manage to pay in dollars instead of the Baht that they first ask for.

Another reason I did it, was that I read reports of the border bus leaving behind foreigners who took too long at the evisa office. Missing that bus would lead to a 1 hour wait, or walk across the bridge. I didn't see any tuk tuks between the border offices.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Even when that place was super busy I’d always go late and yeah it’s empty when you go late. The early arrival thing is like an old man expat deranged syndrome.m

Well, not really.

A massive advantage of going early is you have time to react if some paperwork is incorrect ( unknown changes to requirements as an example ). If you were to rock up at 1030 and were missing something it would require an extra night in SKT if you were not to make it back before 1100.

I assume this is a valid reason opposed to your "old man expat deranged syndrome" you suggest.

Quick heads up, I applied today (Tuesday) for 1 year Non-O Multiple Entry and its was painless and smooth.

The highlights:

- The electronic bank statement of my Bangkok Bank current account was sufficient. They did not check the original bank book and they did not want the Siam Commercial's seasoned fixed deposit with banking letter.

Also, that statement was value date 5 days earlier and it did not matter. So the funds requirement seems to be interpreted leniently.

- They did not check any original documents at all, just signed copies. They took the fresh KorRor 22 but did not ask for the original Marriage Certificate (which was unusual and probably just an oversight?) I still advise to have all original documents ready and also to bring a recent KorRor 2 or 22 (just in case).

- Lao Visa on arrival is now 40 USD or 1,800 THB (which is a scam, even Indonesia asks for 30 USD only.)

- Savanaketh is dead as Dodo, all shops closed and all people left. It was always a quiet place, but now its a graveyard. We spoke with some old people about it and they pointed out that everyone left to Bangkok or to a new area close to the river. I visited that place but it has nothing. Economy did not do nice to that place since 2019 which is sad.

I asked some young lads what they are doing Fridays or Saturday nights; response: "len torasap" (playing on the mobile phone).

- Very few people applying for the Visa on a Tuesday. Arriving early is useless and the sun was very hot. Better arrive only 9:30-10:00 AM as the Embassy is deserted after the first rush.

Bring an umbrella and apply sunscreen as you will stand outside under the sun for 1:30 hours when arriving 8:00.

Cheers and good luck!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:40 PM, jacey said:

the 400k don't need to be seasonal right

In my case they accepted an electronic BKK Bank Current account statement, 5 days old and showing the funds for less than  1 month.

(I had a seasoned fix deposit too with banking letter, but they had no interest in that.)

7 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Why all that stress to go to savannaket when having 400 k in the bank ? Marriage extension and multiple reentry permit summing up to the same.

The money really does not matter.

Extension money needs to be seasoned and you need a "Banking Letter", at Savankhet only an Electronic statement of an current account.

Extension needs Wife and neighbor to be present, at Savanakhet only signed copies of Tabien Ban and ID card.

Extension puts you 6-8 weeks under consideration, at Savanakeht you get everything ready next day.

Extension gets you 365 days, at Savanakhet you get 365 + 90 days when timing it well and you don't need 90 reports and rubbish when you leave the country often (as I do).

Extension is quiet unfriendly and nerve wrecking, Savanakhet staff was always neutral/fast/nice.

Extension can insist in visiting your house. At Savanakhet you visit their house! (Just kidding.)

So for frequent travelers its the much easier option and I am happy it exists.

Edited by IgboChief
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2024 at 4:39 PM, Robert Paulson said:

You can pay for it in dollars, right? $35 as you mention. I’m almost sure you can but just double checking. Was there are reason you didn’t do that. I suppose you wanted to not partake in the scams but you’d just have to pick up some dollars if I remember correctly.

The E-Visa does not use a page of a passport, you do not have to queue up to get PP stamped out, the visa desk does that, one can do an extra E-visa copy to hand into Thai immigration just in case they ask for the PP Laos visa.

I just wish all Laos crossings would accept E-visa's, no worries of dollar notes being rejected.......😊

9 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

Why all that stress to go to savannaket when having 400 k in the bank ? Marriage extension and multiple reentry permit summing up to the same.

Wbr

Roobaa01

400k bht in the bank on the day of application............😉

1 minute ago, IgboChief said:

The money really does not matter.

Extension money needs to be seasoned and you need a "Banking Letter", at Savankhet only an Electronic statement of an current account.

Extension needs Wife and neighbour to be present, at Savanakhet only signed copies of Tabien Ban and ID card.

Extension puts you 6-8 weeks under consideration, at Savanakeht you get everything next day.

Extension gets you 365 days, at Savanakhet you get 365 + 90 days when timing it well and you don't need 90 reports and rubbish when you leave the country often (as I do).

Extension is quiet unfriendly and nerve wrecking, Savanakhet staff was always neutral/fast/nice.

So for frequent travelers its the much easier option and I am happy it exists.

It's 4 weeks under consideration not 6 to 8 weeks. No witnesses are requested for renewals, only for the first time. Immigration unfriendly depends how I address them. Frequent traveller multi-reentry does the same. Expenses are higher going to savannahket. It's also time consuming.

Wbr

Roobaa01 

6 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

It's 4 weeks under consideration not 6 to 8 weeks. No witnesses are requested for renewals, only for the first time. Immigration unfriendly depends how I address them.

All 3 items depend on your Changwat and Immigration office. I know well, what Udon Thani requires.

I am happy for you, if yours is more supportive than mine. But I am also happy that the Savankhet options exists.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, transam said:

The E-Visa does not use a page of a passport, you do not have to queue up to get PP stamped out, the visa desk does that, one can do an extra E-visa copy to hand into Thai immigration just in case they ask for the PP Laos visa.

I just wish all Laos crossings would accept E-visa's, no worries of dollar notes being rejected.......😊

I had my dollar note rejected. One of them anyway. Luckily the ladies at the cashier window were nice enough to let me pay in baht to replace that $20 for 750 baht. 

is the evisa $40?

On 2/20/2024 at 10:59 AM, IgboChief said:

Quick heads up, I applied today (Tuesday) for 1 year Non-O Multiple Entry and its was painless and smooth.

The highlights:

- The electronic bank statement of my Bangkok Bank current account was sufficient. They did not check the original bank book and they did not want the Siam Commercial's seasoned fixed deposit with banking letter.

Also, that statement was value date 5 days earlier and it did not matter. So the funds requirement seems to be interpreted leniently.

- They did not check any original documents at all, just signed copies. They took the fresh KorRor 22 but did not ask for the original Marriage Certificate (which was unusual and probably just an oversight?) I still advise to have all original documents ready and also to bring a recent KorRor 2 or 22 (just in case).

- Lao Visa on arrival is now 40 USD or 1,800 THB (which is a scam, even Indonesia asks for 30 USD only.)

- Savanaketh is dead as Dodo, all shops closed and all people left. It was always a quiet place, but now its a graveyard. We spoke with some old people about it and they pointed out that everyone left to Bangkok or to a new area close to the river. I visited that place but it has nothing. Economy did not do nice to that place since 2019 which is sad.

I asked some young lads what they are doing Fridays or Saturday nights; response: "len torasap" (playing on the mobile phone).

- Very few people applying for the Visa on a Tuesday. Arriving early is useless and the sun was very hot. Better arrive only 9:30-10:00 AM as the Embassy is deserted after the first rush.

Bring an umbrella and apply sunscreen as you will stand outside under the sun for 1:30 hours when arriving 8:00.

Cheers and good luck!

I walked around for 2 days. And yes I agree. Dead. I’m not too interested in coffee shops and the like. I went to the market sorta behind the bus station (from bus station just walk on the main road toward Mekong River), I found that area quite authentic and a lot of good deals to be had, especially if you have kip. Good food, nice silk and a few food stalls. 

Edited by Robert Paulson

6 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I had my dollar note rejected. One of them anyway. Luckily the ladies at the cashier window were nice enough to let me pay in baht to replace that $20 for 750 baht. 

is the evisa $40?

The E-visa is $50, works out today at about 1800bht, the $40 visa on arrival costs today a bit over 1400bht

At Chong Mek crossing they rejected a $20 for absolutely nothing, they charged me 1000bht for it, it is a money earner for the crooks behind the window..........🥴

If I have to go to Sav again, I will most definitely buy the E-Visa.....

• Haha 1