Legal Matters

Adagio

What sort of recourse do I have if I am given bad/negligent legal advice by a Lawyer? I am assuming none at all as none of them seem to (for instance) have any qualms about having their staff act as silent partners for their clients companies which is, as far as I can tell completely illegal as a Thai holding shares in your company has to be able to prove they invested their own money in the purchase of company held assets. Fair enough if the lawyer warns you but I have been told by a couple of people that a Thai lawyer will basically tell you whatever you want to hear in order to get your business and will gloss over or ignore any potential problems 'down the road'. I have heard stories of lawyers forgetting to submit paperwork and a client being faced with financial loses as a result.

Obviously the sensible option is to listen to friends recommendations but in the event of a problem that is plainly the fault of a lawyer, something like an important clause being left out of the Thai version of a contract or failure to register a contract with the relevant agency, where do I stand?

In America, lawyers have malpractice insurance for good reason. But in Thailand? If I were worried about the quality of the legal advice I was to receive in Thailand, maybe I'd go to one of the big international firms in Bangkok. Then again, what do I know about the Thailand legal system? Anyway, the big international firms have a reputation to protect, if nothing else.

J

Telling you what you want to hear - This is the Thai way so why would you think otherwise when you need an Atty?

I agree - if you really need consul or whatever, go to a big, int'l firm. I would never use anyone in their office for anything personally.

And how about Thai visa laywers????

Nobody has actually answered the question yet.

I know the Thai way is always to give an answer, any answer it seems someties, rather than say 'I don't know' but I would hope a lawyer would be able to get over such social conditioning when advising me on how to spend a couple of million baht! (and getting paid to do so).

I have heard a small town Thai lawyer will tell you whatever you want to hear rather than what is right or wrong under the law. The waiter in my local bar could do that. I assume this lax adherence to the law must mean there is no such thing as getting 'struck off' as we call it in the UK. Loosing their right to practice law. If their livelyhood were at stake they may be a little more careful.