Is there anywhere in Thailand I can get an endoscopy for under $500?

Hello all,

I need an endoscopy with a biopsy to check for celiacs disease. Where I currently reside its over $1500 which is a bit pricey for me. I'm travelling to Thailand in March so I'm wondering whether anyone knows a hospital where I can get it significantly cheaper. I've emailed some hospitals but no one will give me a straight up price, they say I have to talk to a doctor first. 

Thank you,

George

Try Malaysia.  The problem in Thailand is that government hospitals probably will have a long waiting list and private hospitals might well charge you more than in many Western countries outside the U.S.  So just search on Google and you will find a lot of good offers in Malaysia.

3 hours ago, GeorgeJones99 said:

Hello all,

I need an endoscopy with a biopsy to check for celiacs disease. Where I currently reside its over $1500 which is a bit pricey for me. I'm travelling to Thailand in March so I'm wondering whether anyone knows a hospital where I can get it significantly cheaper. I've emailed some hospitals but no one will give me a straight up price, they say I have to talk to a doctor first. 

Thank you,

George

Plenty of places, as I'd be surprised if many govt hospital charge $500, if those are USD.   I had one, and think it was around the 12k baht mark.

I had it done in Prachuap Khiri Khan government hospital.  It was about $40 with excellent profession service. Bangkok hospital in Hua Hin was something like $1000, more than in U.S.A.

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

There may be some add-ons to that price such as the cos of biopsies.

Not in my case.  Had both colonoscopy and endoscopy 2 weeks ago today at CM RAM and the total fee (including removing and pathology report on a bunch of polyps) was 38,000 baht.  I have no complaints.  

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

There may be some add-ons to that price such as the cos of biopsies.

3 years ago I had the combo(Gastro and Colonoscopy).  Had a polyp removed and biopsy was done.  Back then the total came to 39000.  Probably I will do the same sometime 2025 if I am still in CNX.  I have had two Gastro's and one Colonoscopy at Ram Gastrol and so far no complaints.  In 2019 the Gatrol was 17,000.  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Not in my case.  Had both colonoscopy and endoscopy 2 weeks ago today at CM RAM and the total fee (including removing and pathology report on a bunch of polyps) was 38,000 baht.  I have no complaints.  

Is the CM RAM a government hospital?

Ram hospital is quite reasonable, I once did a surgery there on my hand for only 45K while the doctor was former head of medical council and studied in USA + Japan (microsurgery). Mc cormick is a potential cheaper alternative. It's best to shop around as the prices differ while the doctor is the same in CM, as I ended up in ram after mc cormick quoted me 75K for the same surgery and doctor, while that hospital is normally cheaper.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the Centre for medical excellence across from Sripat in Chiang Mai.

Cost for everything was under.30,000 baht including biopsies for celiac.

I think the endoscopy only would not be more than 500usd. 

Lots of English spoken 

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy (and abdominal and chest CTs) at a government hospital late last year. It was an overnight stay. I didn't have to pay (my wife is a government worker) but the charge on the invoice for the two endoscopy procedures was 2,800 Baht.

As stated by other posters, waiting times are a problem. Based on advice from others, I went to a doctor's after-hours private clinic (he was the chief gastric surgeon at the government hospital) who offered a 'facilitation' service. For 5,000 Baht, he booked/arranged the endoscopy procedures at his hospital for the next day, and the CTs at another government hospital the following week, together with a follow-up appointment to go through the reports (which were in English).

as a side note .. I had some tests done @ Bangkok Hospital in Hua  Hin ..   then went for a repeat follow up 6 months later @ Hua Hin Government Hospital

where  it was 10% of the price  and as a foreinger with a Thai wife,,,  I got to go on the  "Premium List"   where I went straight to the front of the line ! 

• Like 1

Had an endoscopy check up for my bladder cancer today at Kalasin Hospital (government).  This is the 6th so far over the past 2 years and todays was 2,135 baht all up.  Dont know what it is in where-ever dollars.  Msg me and I can give you a copy of the bill.

• Thanks 1