Flying internationally to Hat Yai on 2 tickets

MarcelV

In early April I'll be landing in BKK at about 10.20 AM. Since I'm looking to flying to Hat Yai on the same day, preferably on the 12.30 domestic TA flight, I'm wondering if I could get my baggage labeled through to Hat Yai and go through immigration procedures there.

Mind you, I fly into BKK on China Southern, which does not seem to be in the same alliance as TA. I am, however, worried about not making my flight to HDY if clearing immigration at BKK takes too long, so if I can just skip immigration there and go through the procedure at HDY instead, it would save invaluable time.

What do you think?

Edited by MarcelV

Yes you can, you clear immigration in Bangkok at the Transfer Desk Area (follow signs for domestic flight connections) and collect your bags in Hat Yai. I did exactly this flying in from Vientiane last month. But it depends on airlines, you should be able to get the bag checked through to Hat Yai and either be issued with your boarding card at check in, or you'll need to go to the transfer desk in Bangkok for your 2nd boarding card. I can only speak from experience at Survarnabhumi not DM. But you'll need to check with the airline before hand to make sure they'll check baggage to Hat Yai.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Yes you can, you clear immigration in Bangkok at the Transfer Desk Area (follow signs for domestic flight connections) and collect your bags in Hat Yai. I did exactly this flying in from Vientiane last month. But it depends on airlines, you should be able to get the bag checked through to Hat Yai and either be issued with your boarding card at check in, or you'll need to go to the transfer desk in Bangkok for your 2nd boarding card. I can only speak from experience at Survarnabhumi not DM. But you'll need to check with the airline before hand to make sure they'll check baggage to Hat Yai.

Can I clear immigration in Hat Yai instead? Thai Airways does the C.I.Q. thing at BKK, but I'm not sure about China Southern. My guess is that it wouldn't matter much to them if I were to check my baggage through to HDY.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Did you fly with the same airline for both flights?

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Did you fly with the same airline for both flights?

No. I will fly with China Southern from Guangzhou to BKK, followed by a flight with Thai Airways to Hat Yai.

Hat Yai Airport (HDY) is an international airport, so there is normally a C.I.Q route there through Suvarnabhumi. Furthermore, China Southern and TA are "interline" partners, meaning that CS should be able to through-check baggage to HDY.

I do have two separate tickets though, and a layover of about 2 hours, so it will be tight anyway. It would help tremendously if I can forego passport control and baggage pickup plus self-transfer at BKK and do all formalities at HDY instead.

Just now, MarcelV said:

No. I will fly with China Southern from Guangzhou to BKK, followed by a flight with Thai Airways to Hat Yai.

Hat Yai Airport (HDY) is an international airport, so there is normally a C.I.Q route there through Suvarnabhumi. Furthermore, China Southern and TA are "interline" partners, meaning that CS should be able to through-check baggage to HDY.

I do have two separate tickets though, and a layover of about 2 hours, so it will be tight anyway. It would help tremendously if I can forego passport control and baggage pickup plus self-transfer at BKK and do all formalities at HDY instead.

You said that in the OP, I asked Stocky

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

I am not sure that Hat Yai is a CIQ destination.

See CAAT (Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand) guidelines below.

http://aip.caat.or.th/2023-12-28-AIRAC/html/eAIP/VT-GEN-1.3-en-GB.html

IMG_2115.jpeg

Based on this info, I'd be out of luck, because Hat Yai is not on the list. Weird, because there are still flights from Singapore landing in Hat Yai.

5 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

Based on this info, I'd be out of luck, because Hat Yai is not on the list. Weird, because there are still flights from Singapore landing in Hat Yai.

Hat Yai is an international airport, with immigration, just if you’re flying through BKK, these CAAT CIQ guidelines seem to apply. 

My concern is that this guidance may have been updated, so best to check with China Southern to confirm.

Edited by Georgealbert

17 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Hat Yai is an international airport, with immigration, just if you’re flying through BKK, these CAAT CIQ guidelines seem to apply. 

My concern is that this guidance may have been updated, so best to check with China Southern to confirm.

I just called China Southern, and apparently, I have to clear immigration and self-transfer at BKK, before transferring to ANY domestic flight in Thailand...

That's too bad, but it is the way it is.

Edited by MarcelV

4 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I just called China Southern, and apparently, I have to clear immigration and self-transfer at BKK, before transferring to ANY domestic flight in Thailand...

That is not good. Wish you luck with just over 2 hours.

Just can not understand the reason why CAAT are not classing HDY as a CIQ destination.

2 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Can I clear immigration in Hat Yai instead? Thai Airways does the C.I.Q. thing at BKK, but I'm not sure about China Southern. My guess is that it wouldn't matter much to them if I were to check my baggage through to HDY.

No. You clear immigration at Suvarnabhumi, but it's quick. You don't go through the general immigration hall, instead you follow the signs for domestic transfer (The sign lists the various destinations including Hat Yai), there are immigration desks there once past immigration you go through a security baggage check and then upstairs to Domestic Departures.

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

That is not good. Wish you luck with just over 2 hours.

Just can not understand the reason why CAAT are not classing HDY as a CIQ destination.

Probably because the only foreigners people flying there internationally are Malaysians and Singaporeans, and they do not have a layover in Thailand.

Edited by MarcelV

6 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I just called China Southern, and apparently, I have to clear immigration and self-transfer at BKK. 

But do will they check baggage through to Hat Yai?

If so you clear immigration at the transfer desks. If not you clear immigration at the main hall, collect bags and check in for the next flight - not good

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Stocky said:

But do will they check baggage through to Hat Yai?

If so you clear immigration at the transfer desks. If not you clear immigration at the main hall, collect bags and check in for the next flight - not good

No, they won't check my baggage through.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and take the bus or train to my destination.

1 minute ago, MarcelV said:

No, they won't check my baggage through.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and take the bus or train to my destination.

That's bad news. With queues for Suvarnabhumi during holiday season 2 hours isn't comfortable enough to clear immigration, claim your bag and check in again. There are no other flight options?

Just now, Stocky said:

That's bad news. With queues for Suvarnabhumi during holiday season 2 hours isn't comfortable enough to clear immigration, claim your bag and check in again. There are no other flight options?

Only very expensive ones, or with very inconvenient times. My wife will be in Hat Yai, ready to pick me up and drive me to Narathiwat. Thai Airways will end its flights to Narathiwat late March, after which only Air Asia still flies to Narathiwat. Both of its flights are in the morning from DMK, and its prices just before Songkran are very high, whereas a cheap train ride to Tanyong Mat (Nara) or cheapish (less than 1500 baht) direct VIP bus to Narathiwat Town can still be booked online. I dread those long journeys, especially after just flying in from Amsterdam, but what can you do, hey?

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

More inconvenient than taking the bus or the train!

At least I save some baht on a hotel stay and get a free meal on the bus.😛

Edited by MarcelV

I went ahead and bought a Thai Lion Air ticket to Hat Yai, leaving from Don Mueang Airport at 14.45, which will give me a little over 4 hours to make it there by shuttle bus and check in. Only 2.15 hours later than my intended flight from BKK, but that extra time does give me more peace of mind.