Heading To Khon Kaen

terrymor66

OK, I am headed to Khon Kaen in a week or so and I am wondering if anyone has driven that from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen ? I think right now my plans are to drive south to Phitsanoluk (sp) and then take Hwy 12 east to Chumphae and Khon Kaen. Is this a good route to take ? I will be taking a truckload of furnishings and a motorcycle, so I prefer as few small winding roads as possible.

Thanks for any help or advice

OK, I am headed to Khon Kaen in a week or so and I am wondering if anyone has driven that from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen ? I think right now my plans are to drive south to Phitsanoluk (sp) and then take Hwy 12 east to Chumphae and Khon Kaen. Is this a good route to take ? I will be taking a truckload of furnishings and a motorcycle, so I prefer as few small winding roads as possible.

The road from CM to KK is the easiest via Tak.Sukothai, Phitsanulok and Lom Sak (same as you planned). I have tried some other routes but they are either slower or hillier and I think you can do with out them.

About 50 kms past Phitsanulok it gets a bit hilly but not to bad when going down hill stick to the advisery signs because there are a few sharp corners. The scenery is very beautifull.

About 40 kms past Lom Sak it gets more hillier and there is few sharper corners when driving through the national park(can`t remember the name of the park). Don`t drive here at night because there is a lot of wild game on the road. In April I nearly collided twice on the same night with a herd of elephants at 10pm and a bit later. The scenery here is about the best I have seen in Thailand. Also there are no services stations for about 90-100 kms past Lom Sak so make sure you have enough fuel.

I drive this route at least 4 times a year and every time I really enjoy it.

Good Luck

The road from CM to KK is the easiest via Tak.Sukothai, Phitsanulok and Lom Sak (same as you planned). I have tried some other routes but they are either slower or hillier and I think you can do with out them.

About 50 kms past Phitsanulok it gets a bit hilly but not to bad when going down hill stick to the advisery signs because there are a few sharp corners. The scenery is very beautifull.

About 40 kms past Lom Sak it gets more hillier and there is few sharper corners when driving through the national park(can`t remember the name of the park). Don`t drive here at night because there is a lot of wild game on the road. In April I nearly collided twice on the same night with a herd of elephants at 10pm and a bit later. The scenery here is about the best I have seen in Thailand. Also there are no services stations for about 90-100 kms past Lom Sak so make sure you have enough fuel.

I drive this route at least 4 times a year and every time I really enjoy it.

Good Luck

Hey ! GREAT INFO ! thanks a lot !

Yeah.. a great route and a nice drive. (start early though !!)

did this way myself to get to Nam Nao National Park not long ago, before zipping of the route just before Khon Kaen to go south to Keang Khro..

I personally prefer to turn left at Lampang and go to Phitsanuloke via Den Chai (Phrae) and Uttaradit. It's a bit shorter and a bit more interesting on the bike or in the car with the hills and winding roads.

I've probably done the trip 50 times and I vote with Blinky Bill. You don't have to go into Phitsanulok though - head for a place called Wang Thong east of Pits and continue to Chumpae from there.

I personally prefer to turn left at Lampang and go to Phitsanuloke via Den Chai (Phrae) and Uttaradit. It's a bit shorter and a bit more interesting on the bike or in the car with the hills and winding roads.

Spot on! Forget Tak, it's going out of your way. Get to the main highway lights in Lampang, and go straight over onto the newer highway #11 then on through Den Chai. Far less traffic and better scenery.

As Boksider said head for Wang Tong as soon as you see the right turn to Phitsanulok and just keep going. A nice scenic stop for coffee etc. when you get to the top of the mountains. Have a good trip.

Spot on! Forget Tak, it's going out of your way. Get to the main highway lights in Lampang, and go straight over onto the newer highway #11 then on through Den Chai. Far less traffic and better scenery.

As Boksider said head for Wang Tong as soon as you see the right turn to Phitsanulok and just keep going. A nice scenic stop for coffee etc. when you get to the top of the mountains. Have a good trip.

Yes better scenery and less traffic up to Phitsalulok but Terrymor 66 is talking about a truckload of furnishing.

Is this a truck or a pick-up? If truck (6 or 10 wheeler) please take Tak if pick-up up to you.

The last time I went straight ahead, I remember it qickly turning into a 2 lane road with trucks, people passing, all the way to the intersection where you turnright to Den Chai... I prefer the left at the first crossroad, and then a Right, about 2-3 km up...which goes to a fairly new, very 'fast, no problem', kinda road for a ways...

Edited by Ajarn