• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Do you have a specific question?
I do, if anyone can help with this one please.

I'm looking for an inexpensive place to stay next Thursday (the 16th) evening. Ideally this place should be close-ish to the Thai Embassy and cost around ฿750 to ฿1,500 per night. Any advice then would be gratefully received...Thank you very much. :o

Do you have a specific question?
I do, if anyone can help with this one please.

I'm looking for an inexpensive place to stay next Thursday (the 16th) evening. Ideally this place should be close-ish to the Thai Embassy and cost around ฿750 to ฿1,500 per night. Any advice then would be gratefully received...Thank you very much. :o

The Mali Nam Phou hotel at 700 bt per couple inc brekky in courtyard is a good place ,right in centre of town.

The Mali Nam Phou hotel at 700 bt per couple inc brekky in courtyard is a good place ,right in centre of town.
Cool. :D Thanks for that ozzydom. :o

Hmmm...at that price I could very well be tempted to stay 'til after the weekend. You see I've never been to Laos before and a good, clean base (like the Mali Nam Phou Hotel) could be just the excuse I need to explore Vientiane over a weekend.

Thanks again! :D

Do explore Vientiane, nice city, even though it is quiet. Another good option is the Khamkoun hotel, it's close to the thai embassy (10 minutes by foot) and also quite close to the river. It's right on Lane Xang, near the Paxuthai. Get the big family room at the front, very nice room for around 800 baht.

Another option is the Lao - Paris Hotel on Samsenthai, even though I heard they have put their roomrates up, last february I got a room for 1100 baht for two nights. A Lao friend of mine wanted to stay there three days ago, and was quoted 1000 baht per night. That's almost double, anyway good location.

Cool. :D Thanks for that ozzydom. :o

Hmmm...at that price I could very well be tempted to stay 'til after the weekend. You see I've never been to Laos before and a good, clean base (like the Mali Nam Phou Hotel) could be just the excuse I need to explore Vientiane over a weekend.

Thanks again! :D

The Mali Namphu looked good to us when the wife & I were up in Vientiane in early June.  However, as a walk-in, only room available was on the 4th floor!!  Not for these tired ol' legs.  Get a reservation ahead of time.

http://www.malinamphu.com/MSindex.htm

Mac

Well I am now sorted so a big "Thanks" to all of you who responded. I just want to say that before posting here...I wasn't really looking forward to going next week but by helping me with all your advice (:o) you've opened-up a whole slew of ideas about what to do, where to go, what to eat, etc., - that I'm really looking forward to going now.

FWIW the first email back came from the Mali Namphu Guest House (Thanks again ozzydom and to you Mac) for US$16 (฿550) per night; so that's where I'll be staying.

To close then let me say that for others in my predicament, wondering where to stay and what to do whilst in Vientiane - kindly check-out LonelyPlanet, VirtualTourist, Travelfish and SmartTravelAsia too. There you'll find details of all the accommodations referred to above plus some ideas about how best to spend your time. :D

Anybody happen to know the current conditions for Visa applicants in Vientiane? Thanks,,:o

Hand in application before noon, pick up visa after 2 pm the next day. The same year two Tourist Visas issued only by Vientiane and Savannakhet!

Hate to ask a stupid question but I assume there are no problems going to Vientiane? I've never tried it before and would probably want to drive to someplace close to the border and then you take a bus or something across?

Any info helpful as I will probably have to go there to get a Tourist Visa for my Filipina GF.

Thanks

Hate to ask a stupid question but I assume there are no problems going to Vientiane? I've never tried it before and would probably want to drive to someplace close to the border and then you take a bus or something across?

Any info helpful as I will probably have to go there to get a Tourist Visa for my Filipina GF.

Thanks

No problems with visits to Vientiane.

If you drive up to Nong Khai, as I usually do, just leave your car in the secure fenced in parking area about 500 m before the bridge on the right (or on the left at the T intersection if you're coming from downtown Nong Khai.  Baht 100 a day, and I've been using this since the bridge opened, also no problems.  Even forgot and left the car unlocked one time!!

Baht 10, I think it still is, for the van across to the Lao side for immigration formalities.  Baht 200-300 for a taxi on into town.

Mac

Thanks

No problems with visits to Vientiane.

If you drive up to Nong Khai, as I usually do, just leave your car in the secure fenced in parking area about 500 m before the bridge on the right (or on the left at the T intersection if you're coming from downtown Nong Khai.  Baht 100 a day, and I've been using this since the bridge opened, also no problems.  Even forgot and left the car unlocked one time!!

Baht 10, I think it still is, for the van across to the Lao side for immigration formalities.  Baht 200-300 for a taxi on into town.

Mac

Why not bring your car over? Save you a whole load of cash in parking and taxis and make you life far easier in getting around!

Also in the hotel recommendations the Chaleunxay Hotel is somewhere I'd recommend - clean rooms with aircon, tv, hot showers, mini bar etc. 2 minute walk from morning market and about 10minutes from the Mekong. $12 - $18 per night - they even have an inhouse mamasan supplying the requirements of the mainly Viet men who stay there . . . but I didn't tell you! :o:D

Oh and it's very big advantage is free parking!

:D