Pop up ads out of control?

kwilco

• 3 weeks later...

I have now considerably reduced opening the ASEAN NOW site as I get SWAMPED with pop ups. Some ad for an airplane that takes 5 seconds to be cut appears about 3 times every visit as well as that I get various other pop ups that have to be closed before I can post.

We are now getting a higher ratio of ads to forum content.

This time I failed to get onto the news forum because of the ads and I've hung around to get onto this section.

• Agree 1

Thank you kwilco, I was wondering if I am being singled out for excessive advertisng. Specifically the ANA and HK ads.

I have not seen any response to comments so far, I am hoping there is one to me.

Does everyone receive the same level of advertising that I do.?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

Thank you kwilco, I was wondering if I am being singled out for excessive advertisng. Specifically the ANA and HK ads.

I have not seen any response to comments so far, I am hoping there is one to me.

Does everyone receive the same level of advertising that I do.?

I just got one pip up to see your post. But earlier today that effing  second airplane ad came up 3 times plus a coupke of pop ups...I gave up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintdomingo said:

Perhaps wotsisname could do a poll to see how many get this level of attention.

The other answers seem bit cryptic or guarded....I'm surprised more aren't up in arms

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

Perhaps wotsisname could do a poll to see how many get this level of attention.

Sadly to say and please don't quote me but it seems that your more interested in pop up ads on a website you use that is a business ,we are not a community service 

Please have some thought for the owners on here who have to pay for full time staff ,rental of premises etc 

I personally want more advertising! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Many advertisers and ad agencies are recently specifically targeting this forum with these types of ads (interstitials, not pop-ups). I will ask our ad agency to reduce the number of these ads.

The definition of interstitial ad:

An interstitial ad is a full-screen ad that covers the entire interface of the host app. These ads are designed to be placed between content, and are typically displayed at transition points in an app flow, such as between activities, during a pause, or between levels in a game.

14 minutes ago, george said:

Many advertisers and ad agencies are recently specifically targeting this forum with these types of ads (interstitials, not pop-ups). I will ask our ad agency to reduce the number of these ads.

An interstitial ad is a full-screen ad that covers the entire interface of the host app. These ads are designed to be placed between content, and are typically displayed at transition points in an app flow, such as between activities, during a pause, or between levels in a game.

George thank you for a rational response to a reasonable query.

48 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Sadly to say and please don't quote me but it seems that your more interested in pop up ads on a website you use that is a business ,we are not a community service 

Please have some thought for the owners on here who have to pay for full time staff ,rental of premises etc 

What's this "we are not a community service".?

Are you a director or other paid employee.?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2024 at 1:04 AM, kwilco said:

It seems they are out of control. I can't make a single click without encountering a plane that won't go away.

The site is almost unuseable

100% agree... I used to use safari and the popups became so excessive the site becaume unusable. 

So, I switched to chrome, but it was still a PITA.

On the advice of others on this forum I switched to BRAVE browser and that has done the trick. 

My son tells me they have switched to BRAVE browser at his school too...  I guess its the best one at eradicating all the bumf we don't want. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You realise that your "business" is losing viewers because of this? 3 pop ups to get here 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, george said:

I make a list of the companies employing pop up ads... in order to make sure that I do not use them for anything... when do you think that the forum will return to a more friendly use... like discarding notifications... and return to top page... oh wait the pop ups need that space.

• Like 1