Bio Measures for House Waste Tanks

Kellynch

I have the tanks sunk into the ground for house waste eg sink and toilet.  My understanding is that waste will breakdown naturally in the tanks and the 'cleared' water absorbed into the garden.  Some locals tell me that there's no need to add anything extra eg powder or bio liquid.  However, I'm thinking about one set of tanks that has a fair bit channeled into them - Kitchen sink, bathroom toilet and sink, utility sink and washing machine.  We've had difficulty with these tanks being full.  We got the tanks emptied but they fill up fairly quickly bearing in mind that there are just three people living in the house.   A plumber is emptying the tanks and clearing out the pipes for any blockage eg fat and grease but all seems fine.  I have other sets of tanks for bathrooms that are fine.  I'm wondering if the waste volume for the problem tanks is not helping and perhaps the waste isn't breaking down quickly enough?  Should I add some bio powder or other liquid to help it along?   Here's a photo of powder that was recommended.

20240224_104402.jpg

Edited by Kellynch

It never hurts to add some extra "help" to the organisms in the tanks.

Remember the tanks will be naturally full, but it's mostly water. It's the sludge that can build up that's the issue and what needs pumping occasionally.

Are your tanks the concrete-ring type or the moulded plastic chaps?

• Like 1

Very thankful for your suggestions.  I'll definitely check out the packet suggestions.  Re tank types - they are the concrete ones.    Re the levels in the tanks - I see what you mean.  I looked back at my OP and didn't mention that water was seeping from out of the tank lid, especially when using the washing machine.   From what is mentioned about the sludge build up along with the tanks being full, of liquid, I think I was on the right track with too much sludge, which is where, hopefully, the photo suggestions will help.

If you want the bacteria to break the waste down naturally ,don't put

any harsh chemicals down the toilet or sinks ,bleach ,Vixol ,ect. it's

OK to add some of those Bio products but not sure they are necessary,

and no toilet paper down the toilet ,

regards worgeordie 

Running grey water into a septic tank will virtually always cause it to overflow. Running kitchen waste without a grease trap will coat the walls of the system with a waterproof layer so reducing its possible natural ability to allow water to percolate out.

The only way you can run grey water into septic tank is if you have a large leach field connected probably over 100 meters.

Also you should never run grey water into a black water tank as that will guarantee that the waste cannot be held long enough to breakdown.

FWIW moderate amounts of toilet paper into a black water system causes no problems. But that is in the ½ a roll per month range, SWMBO runs through ½ a 36 roll pack a month, so for her moderate would be enough to clog the tank.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes we use the powder shown in the OP a few weeks apart, it helps keep the smell down and the need for suctioning many months apart.  Also, our washing machine is outside and drains into the garden and not into the septic tanks.

Edited by bbko

• 3 weeks later...

My tank has been running for 24 years and never emptied and no problems. Only the waste from my 3 toilets go into it,all the shower and sink water goes to my pond that I  have fish and ducks etc without any problems, when I bought it it came with a small bag of bacteria and never added to it. I clean my toilets with vinegar.